GUN newbie to guns

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by r3dl4b3l, Oct 16, 2003.

1. r3dl4b3l

r3dl4b3l Guest

hey guys im new to guns and was wondering what exactly u need to purchase one? license etc....

2. Furner

Furner New Member

It all depends on your state. Go to the local gun shop, you should be able to find out there.

3. r3dl4b3l

r3dl4b3l Guest

i live in texas. i know that if you want to carry handguns you need the conseal license. and have to be i think 18 or 21 to purchase. but do you have to have a license to buy one? say if i did buy one and go to the range. do i need a license to shoot there?

4. taco

taco Guest

I don't know about texas but in PA you have to be 18 to buy a long gun and 21 to buy a handgun.

You can't be a criminal, illegal immigrant, habitual drug user, habitual drunk, convicted of domestic violence, and maybe a couple of other things.

Basically you go in pick out a gun fill out the form with some questions they run a background check over the phone. You pay for your gun and are out the door in about 20 min.

5. DRM600

DRM600 Guest

best thing to do is prolly go to your state's attorney general's website. wouldn't be a bad idea to look up the (i forget which) the us doj or teh atf website for more general info. i'd help us to help you if you tell us which state you're in.

6. r3dl4b3l

r3dl4b3l Guest

im in texas

7. Werm

Werm Guest

It's also 18 to buy a pistol, not 21 guys! It has to be a private sale from a non-ffl dealer though. It's legal to own a pistol at 18.

8. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

9. Redmouse

Redmouse Just looking...

In Texas, if you're buying it from a dealer, you're required to be at least 21. You don't need a license or a Concealed Handgun License to purchase one either. You do, however, need to pass the NICS check. Its almost instant (5 to 10 mins). To carry the handgun in concealment, you do need a CHL. If you are just going to the range, I would keep the ammo and the gun separately and out of guns reach. Unfortunately there are so many different stories regarding travelling with a weapon. Some LEO's state that if you dont have a CHL, then the weapon should be visible. And its suppose to go only to the range and back. Personally, I keep the unloaded weapon in the trunk and the ammo up front.

blah, blah, blah...:big grin:

10. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

what happens if you need that rifle right there, on the spot?

11. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

you break down and cry, and curl up into the fetal position with your pants around your ankles.