Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by GSPFAN, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GSPFAN

GSPFAN New Member

Ok so I am 24, married with a 3 year old. Desk Job 8-5. I have put on 30lbs in 3 years, losing all fitness appearance quicker then preferred. My spouse and I were looking into a Bow Flex and Eliptical Machine because we don't have the right schedules for hitting a local gym. Anyhow I have 3 questions, serious answers would be appreciated.

1.) Where can I find a plan to help me get started in the overwhelming idea of losing 30 lbs? What is the best way to lose it and what is realistic for time to lose 30 lbs? 3 mths? 6 mths? a year? best specific exercises?

2.) The 2 exercise equipment peices I mentioned, are they good purchases? Have any of you owned a Bow Flex or have feedback for me on them?

3.) While losing weight should I avoid any heavy weight lifting and stick to mostly cardio? Push ups and sit ups ok? Jump Rope? Or is heavy weights going to give me a better burn?

I appreciate everyones input, thanks so much!

2. Ashley

Ashley EEK!!!!

I'm the last person to comment, but lift weights.

3. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

man there are so many people here that can fill you in better than me, but here are some of the points that will prolly be covered:

1) freeweights are better than bowflex, blowflex doesn't have a linear resistance curve like real weights do

2) to lose weight the main thing is diet. eat right and in a caloric deficit and you will lose weight

3) heavy weight lifting > cardio for fat loss. there is something called EPOC that basicly means, during the actual exercise you may burn more calories during cardio, but afterwards, weightlifting causes you to continue to burn calories for up to two days, whereas with cardio you stop burning calories after like 30 minutes

4. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

plan for the gym if at all possible. it doesn't take long. an hour or two (depending on commute, time to prep, etc) a day, 3 or 4 days out of the week.

watch ur diet, count calories, know what your intake is.

if you're gonna use cardio for it, try HIIT. standing on the stairmaster for an hour going at a 3mph pace is'nt gonna be the most effective method.

lift weights if at all possible, bowflex is ridiculously expensive. might as well invest in a home gym (a real one, with a good power rack, good range of dumbbells and other pieces of equipment to add to it).

5. GSPFAN

GSPFAN New Member

Kronik85, what is the cardio program you refer to HIIT?

The rest of you are saying lifting big is best? I just dont want to put mass on below fat and get even heavier haha.

From the sounds of it the Bow Flex is not an effective training tool?

6. -Mordecai-

-Mordecai- New Member

7. Titus

Titus New Member

you can fit the gym into your schedule you're just making up excuses as to why you can't. if having someone watch your kid is the problem, i know most major chain gyms (bally's, la fitness, etc) have a daycare free of charge.

8. -Mordecai-

-Mordecai- New Member

go in the morning before work

9. -Mordecai-

-Mordecai- New Member

my dad is like 55 and wakes up at 5am every morning and goes to the gym

10. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

dont buy a bowflex, spend the money and buy some freeweights and you will benefit more in the long run

11. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

for the price of a bowflex, you could get a racak and a decent amount of weights, a bench and DB handles
    If yoyu are adveterous you can by lots of shit like DB's at garage sales

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.