Newbie question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by arc3 ange1, Oct 27, 2004.

1. arc3 ange1

arc3 ange1 Never be bought, Never be sold

The padding in speakers (feels like wool)..what is that? And what does it do?

2. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

I'm not sure exactly what it is, but it deadens the sound so that you don't get resonation from the speaker cabinets.

3. 04

04 Guest

It doesnt prevent any resonances from the cabinets, it can suppress them though from being audible though :)

4. 04

04 Guest

It makes the enclosure 'seem' larger than it would be with no filling. It can also help damp internal noises or resonances. People use wool, fiberglass, or polyester fiberfill typically.

Note that while it cant hurt to add it (it usually only costs a dollar or two for polyfill) its very possible you wont hear any differences with or without it.

5. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Wow, thanks for that huge correction 04. I apologize, it does only dampen any resonance. However, it could dampen it to the point where the cabinet would no longer resonate at all, could it not? I think what you meant to say is that adding the material won't change the natural resonant frequencies of the cabinet. Enough padding COULD prevent resonance from happening though as the material doesn't really change the normal modes of the wood.

I'm pretty sure (and feel free to correct me if I am wrong) that lining the inside with a dense padding and filling an enclosure with something like polyfill serve two different purposes. The first one would be deadening, and the second one partially deadens put also makes the speaker sound larger than it is, correct?

6. 04

04 Guest

No, it doesnt prevent the resonances from happening, because they will still be an issue on the outside of the enclosure. If you mean adding barrier type damping (like dynomat), that can stop the enclosure walls from resonating, by shifting the resonance frequency lower in frequency. I guess if you stuffed the enclosure so full it could do the same thing, but no one is going to do that, as it would severly hurt performance.

At any rate, I dont think you'd hear much of a difference anyways.

Yeah.