Newbie programmer questions...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Xoria, Apr 17, 2003.

1. Xoria

Xoria Keep the change, ya filthy animal.

i've been using computers for around 5-6 years and only recently have i been learning how to do more with it than just chatting and stuff. ive learned fotochop and shit but yeah that has nothing to do w/ the thread :)

i wanna know, how much can one do through programming? i know computers are built off programs and thats what makes it run...but in order to be a programming you have to have programmed SOMETHING before...not just know the language.

...and thats kinda my problem. i wanna learn how to program, but i dont have any goals. i'd like to learn how to program games, but the books ive (started to) read just talk about building programs for math problems and stuff.

what have you guys created that's useful? making stuff like...web browsers, chat programs, things like that are useful but theyve already been done and been done well. i just dont know what to aim for, i mean no sense in holding a gun and shooting everywhere if you don't have a target, right?

hopefully someone can make sense of this thread...:sadwavey:

2. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

Depending on ability, a programmer can do anything. Windows is software a team of people wrote, just like a web browser. Of course it is much more complicated and longer, but each were completed using a programming language you can learn.

If you are into games, look to C/C++ or Java. If you mean a game such as Quake, go with C/C++. If you want to code something smaller and less graphically intense, Java will do the trick. A game like Quake isn't going to be made in a few weeks by a newbie. You need to understand the basics of a given language before you can get into the advanced concepts like object oriented programming (something you would find all over a game like Quake).

What you and I would consider useful on a day to day basis, nothing. What my place of business considers useful, many things. Most of my work revolves around web based programming (reporting tools, database management via the web, data collection, etc.) using J2EE. I've also begun some interop programming with XML.

My advice would be to figure out what you want to do (games, business apps, utils like winamp or IE, math apps like crypto or computations, etc.) and then we can help you decide which language is best at what you want to do. I hope this helped some. :)

3. Xoria

those're the 2 ive been looking into..i thought java was mainly for the web? :dunno:

hopefully if i learn enough, or am exposed to enough i'll see things that can be done and get ideas...when i learned HTML i thought of a lot of bare bones looking stuff until i came along to better looking pages, so hopefully the same will happen there.

helped a lot :cool: i was thinking this forum would be dead :o util's and games would probably be what i'd want to learn, make stuff to make work easier, then makes games to waste time as well :o thanks :bigthumb:

4. CompiledMonkey

Based upon what you've said, I would recommend using C++. Personally, I haven't spend much time at all with C++. Hopefully some of the other members can recommend a quality book for starters. One piece of general advice I have; learn the basics and fundamentals to C++ like the back of your hand. You should have mastered those topics before you move on to more advanced items. Doing so will help you progress more than you can understand right now.

Have fun. :wavey:

5. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

C++ rox...but I fuckin hate MFC with a passion :)

I can recommend a GREAT C book that teaches you C really really well and it's aimed for hte begginer programmer..thats the book I learned programming on (one of two, the other was qbasic which is extint now)...

i'll post the name when I get home if I remember

|eb_CRX

6. Xoria

:cool: thanks for all the help :big grin:

7. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

@home now...
    the book's
    'Programming in C' by Stephen G. Kochan...

seems really basic at first, but goes to discuss serious stuff, the thing's so ripped apart from using it so much, i've had it about 5 years now..heh

the contects are as follow:
    1-intro
    2-fundementals
    3-writing a progrma in c
    4-variables, constant, data types, and arithmetic expressions
    5-program looping
    6-making decisions
    7-arrays
    8-functions
    9-structures
    10-character strings
    11-pointers
    12-operation on bits
    13-the preprocessor
    14-more on data types
    15-working with larger programs
    16-input and output
    17-misc features and advanced topics
    appendix A: Language summary
    B: Common programming mistakes
    C: Unix C library
    D:Compiling programs under unix
    E: The program LINT
    F:The ASCII character set

...ahh damn

anyways good luck man :)

|eb_CRX

8. Xoria

:cool: thanks, i'll pick that up sometime soon

9. Jericho

Jericho Active Member

If you want a language that's powerful easy and quick to learn then check out Python plus it has an incredibly easy syntax.

10. Woodmaster

Woodmaster New Member

Well.... programming isn't easy. Like anything in life, it takes time, patience and the willingness to take risks and spend alot of time with it. You don't automatically try to program a specific thing. Start off learning all about the framework of the language of choice. I would reccomend PHP. It is pretty easy to learn and you can do alot with it. It is simply like webdesign.. or if your a good graphic designer.... once you know what you can do and what is possible as well as all of the basics... the possibilities are endless....

You make stuff according to what you want and according to how much creativity you have.

Its endless, but don't look at it as a one way road. Look at it as a super highway.

Keep your head up and read lots of good guides and tutorials and learn the framework of everything before you get ahead of yourself.

Good Luck :)

11. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

For getting into programming, I'd recommend finding a program type that absolutely fascinates you. If its games, what flavor of games are you into? If its utils, what utils get you going (hard disk utils, file management, etc). I think you get the idea...

The next step would be to figure out what the popular language used to develop these programs. C++ will probably be the language of choice.

Next step is one of my favorites:

"Divide and Conquer" (Sounds like a Command & Conquer expansion pack or something - ok, bad geek joke)

A game is rather complex so when it comes time to divide and conquer, you're going to end up with a lot of little items. Its not impossible. You'll need to get input from the user - you going to allow them to use a keyboard, mouse, joystick, [other]? If so, you can start learning how to write very small apps that talk to these gadgets. You could think of these apps as test apps. By themselves, they are nothing. But combine them, and you have an input system for your game. Then you'll probably want to move on to graphics. Start small and learn how to flip through the video modes, then drawing pixels and changing colors, then drawing objects (squares, triangles, etc), then try animating these. Once you get this to go, you can wrap in your input system with it and you're just about there... (this of course is all in a nutshell)

Best thing you can do is pick something you're very passionate about. This will motivate and drive you to learn more...

And if you ever get stuck, find someone who knows their stuff and tap them for knowledge.

12. Xoria

:o sorry i forgot to check the replies to this, but thanks. i think i'll pick up PHP and learn it, hopefully become good, because it seems like most people these days are begging to have a website about one thing or another and theyll usually pay...but i learned my way around C, got bored and made my computer count to like 100000, and it actually got me moved to learn more :o thanks for all the suggestions, im sure itll take me months to finally feel like i can do something with all this but it all sounds very worth while :hs: thanks :wavey:

13. CompiledMonkey

That's odd. We talked about games, web browsers, and chat clients, but you decide to go with php. :p

14. Tk

Tk Well-Known Member

how i started programming was kindof funny... i used to be one of those AOL geeks who subclassed the shit out of AOL and made punters, mail bombers, and whatever else had been done with aol. Anyways, I learned Visual Basic when I was about 13. Completely tought myself with the help of another AOL programmer geek who helped me when I had questions.

After a year of using other peoples module files, I learned API. API works wonders... anyways... once you get the concepts of one language down, any other language is just the same (just different syntax). I mean, theres an If statement in VB, and theres an If statement in C++... same things, just different ways of typing them out.

I haven't had a lot of time really the past 3 years to do any leasure programming, which sucks, because I basically forgot VB.

Now I work with a language called PROGRESS, which is for writing reports and database queries. Progress is very comparable to Visual Basic, and when I started with the company that I'm at now (Tyson Foods) I had to learn PROGRESS as quick as possible. Knowing VB, and understanding how the language worked, helped a considerable amount than just coming in and learning Progress as my first language.

I know what you mean by saying you dont have any goals with programming. That wasnt really my problem at the time, but it is now, because I dont have the time.

I guess just try and learn one, really really well, and compare every other language you learn to that one. That makes it easy to learn and understand. ;)

15. Xoria

:rofl: yeah i know, ive already got about 3 books on programming, but one of my friends wants a site built and he was going to have to pay a ton of cash, so he offered me the job instead knowing im trying to learn a lot about comps and stuff ;) easy cash :wiggle: but im gonna have to earn it...so i need to see how much i can learn by summertime, then spend those 2 months reading all the books i'll then be able to afford...:wiggle:
    :werd: i kinda figured i'd do that, i started learning C and it seems pretty straight forward...i've gone thru most of the book understanding everything, i'd rather learn the concepts of it all before i try to do much...if i did enough programming in C it'd become as easy as talking online :big grin:

with your story, creating apps for AOL was your obvious interest...i've just been trying to pick this up out of nowhere :o nowadays it feels like you have to be a guru at programming, otherwise someones already done it, and better :rofl: i guess i'll figure it out someday