newbie needs help on wireless

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Darkcloud, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Darkcloud

Darkcloud mesohorny

i got this wireless router D-link DI-624 nad wireless card for my dell laptop, installed drivers and all so now it goes online.

now, my borther has a older laptop compaq armada 7800, we just installed XP on it and bought another d-link wireless card, did the same to his laptop but it dosnt go online, it sees the card, but dosnt find any available networks, when i look at the screen for the available networks it looks like its shaded, like i cant click anything on it. we even tried to hardwire it with a patchcord, but it still dosnt go out, it does recognize te patchcord cause the icon on the bottom right screen gives a message everytime i unplug it or connect it saying its either unplugged or not. hope this makes sense.

Thanks for any help

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

You might need the XP update that makes wireless work. I had to download it on my brother's computer to get the wireless working there. I'm assuming SP2 also has it included if you're ready to do that.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

start > run > cmd

ipconfig

what does it say? Both cable plugged in, and without cable.

the greyed-out box is because dlink has it's own software to connect to an AP, and it disables the MS one.