Newbie help with first mustang

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Binar, Aug 8, 2003.

1. Binar

Binar Guest

I just bought a V6 mustang ( new 2003)

Standard options + the CD reads MP3. No spoiler tho

I paid $14450 + taxes

do you think I got a good deal?

THx

2. stonesfan

stonesfan Guest

Bring it back and get a GT.

You will get bored with the 6.

3. Binar

Binar Guest

A gt is at least 6k more so no thx........

oh and why GT and not Cobra?
    or why Cobra and not Saleen?

and so on.....

I choosed a V6 I'll stick with it

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2003
  4. Big'Un

Big'Un "Just once i would like to dine at an American pin

they are nice economical cars for what it is. i would never pay that much for a car, but its all about what you want. id pay 6k for an old fox 5.0 and spend the other 9k making it run 11's

5. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

I wouldn't have bought it. I'd have done what Big'Un said and bought an older V8, or maybe the turbo V6 SVO (always liked 'em for some reason).

But if your happy with it and it's what you wanted and you are comfortable with what you paid then it's a good deal. The 2004's usually start hitting the dealership's next month or so, so finding deals on 2003's shouldn't be to hard.

And what exactly do you need "newbie help" with? If you already bought it there's nothing we can do to help ya ;)

6. Coma Black

Coma Black Guest

Sometimes a 5-speed can be obtained around $12,500 new.

7. Big'Un

Big'Un "Just once i would like to dine at an American pin

i didnt know there was a v6 svo. i thought they just came in the 2.3L 4 cyl turbo

8. Binar

Binar Guest

Do you actually know someone who got it for this ammount? if yes did he/she had a trade it or put any cash down?

i have 15 days to take it back if i want.If you can tell me i made a bad deal I'll do it

I searched www.carsdirect.com and www.kbb.com and it seems that I didn't do bad But I wanted to check with you guys

9. Chadnel25

Chadnel25 Member

I'd take the Cobra over the Saleen

10. Binar

Binar Guest

ya is cheaper

care to tell me why would you choose Cobra?

11. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

Your right, slip up on my part... :uh:

I have a buddy restoring one and they are pretty sweet ;)

12. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

According to www.edmunds.com the "true market value" (what people are actually paying) in my area for a V6 Coupe is $17,853, so you coming in under $15k sounds like a steal to me.

13. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

Cobra is faster by far than a Saleen S281. In order to get faster than a Cobra with a Saleen you would have to go at least S281-E, which will set you back over $60,000.
    For the same $60,000 you could make one helluva fast Cobra.

14. Coma Black

Coma Black Guest

This deal usually happens a lot in Los Angeles/Long Beach/Orange County, CA especially in dealerships managed by Chinese Americans. I live down in San Diego and have known a few neighbors (albeit not in the same area) who drive up to buy them at $12,500. Of course it's the stripped version with power driver seat/locks/windows, basic stereo, no traction control, no ABS fabric interior, etc.

During Memorial Day Weekends larger dealerships like Mossy Ford will have a couple at prices this low, hence the "sometimes" comment. Of course it's usually only this time or Christmas clearance will you find a deal this good. Getting yours @ $14k during this time (where cars aren't exactly the cheapest but not so bad either) it's a good deal, indeed :)

15. idontgiveashit

idontgiveashit I eat rice

seriously, you will end up selling it within 2 years at most, no matter what you do to make it faster, just take it back and get a used one with an 8 youll be thanking us later. With all the money you have tied up in the 6 you will have a 6 in the end.

16. Binar

Binar Guest

I can't afford to pay a penny more.My financial situation is very bad.I want to be covered by the factory's warranty that's why I want a car with 0 miles only

17. idontgiveashit

take it back and get something else besides a v6 mustang, They ahve no value later on at all.

18. Binar

Binar Guest

for some reason I bet you are thinking about a Honda in general and a Civic in particular

sorry but many years ago i promised to myself that my I'll never buy an asian car
    Only imports I'm interested in is European imports( ex BMW ,Audi etc)

No offence but is funny when ppl with asian cars don't have anything to back them up so they always are bringing in discussion "the value of the car"
    Of course an asian car is not loosin its value over time because there is no "old" honda or toyota or nissan

How many asian cars from 70' or even 80' have you seen on the streets? lemme tell you ... few
    Want me to ask you same thing about Ford, chevy, volvo ,benz etc?

19. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

Actually, even newer Asian cars loose value just as fast as most domestics. Go to edmunds.com and look at the depreciation for the first year of ownership and you will find that Mustangs (V8) and the F-Boodies (also V8) depreciate at a rate within 1% of the Civic, Accord, S2000, etc. etc. etc.

People base their "domestic resale value" on stats from the late 70's and early 80's.... When in reality GM is only behind Toyota and Nissan in quality and is the largest auto manufacturer in the world. Hell, the Corvette has won J.D. Powers and associates "Best initial quality in a sports car" for a few years running now, and that includes over the imports.

All this aside though, I think idontgiveashit was referring to the resale of the V6 Mustang, which generally doesn't hold value as well as the V8 version.

20. idontgiveashit

lol, actually i own a mustang also, but take a look and the v6s depreciate quickly...honestly, i would get something else, just my opinion.

21. DMClark

DMClark Active Member

$14.5 :eek3: They were like $17 around this time last year.

22. Binar

Binar Guest

can't afford to pay a penny more

my business is bankrupt ,my wife has no job my cc are full

my financial situation is a mess
    I want a new car because with the warranty i know I won't have to pay anything if i'll have any mechanical problems

23. twist_of_fate

twist_of_fate New Member

Binar, it really depends on what you want. If you want a good looking sports car that has good fuel economy and carries the Mustang name, then keep the sixer. If you want more power and you can afford the insurance then I'd say take it back and get yourself a 99 or 01 Cobra. If you look around, you can find them for about 14-15k (possibly with a warranty).

Bad Mojo, what the hell is a V6 SVO??? I have never heard of it before, and I thought I considered myself a pretty decent Mustang fan.

BTW, Binar, do you have an email address or anything?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2003
  24. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

This thread isn't THAT long that you would of had to skip posts reading it, is it?

Read reply #11 above :slap:

25. twist_of_fate

twist_of_fate New Member

Yep, I did. I was thinking of a newer stang. Sorry about that.