Newbie, Help me out!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Kieffer87, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

Well I have finally decided to join the Mac crew. I just purchased a MBP 2.5GHz, 4GB ram, 250GB HD (Might upgrade to 7200rpm), 512mb Graphics, you know the rest. (Should be here tomorrow):bowdown:

I've worked with windows since msdos :noes:, but have a little unix experience as well.

What can you guys suggest to help the transition move smoothly and keep me around?:wavey:

I thought about dual booting, but then that kind of defeats the purpose of buying a mac. Instead of learning a new OS I would just boot into the other to do things.

I will be keeping my desktop around for torrents and storage but other than that I plan on making the MBP my primary. I've read through the apps threads and found a lot of useful programs but other than that is there anything I should do special when I get it(I have heard calibrate screen and battery before??), anything to look out for, etc.

2. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

iStat menus
    vlc
    Adium

3. blackchick

blackchick New Member

this is EXACTLY how I felt when I got my mac..I haven't needed Windows at all since I got it, so that shit would just be taking up space for no reason.

4. xuntilthexendx

xuntilthexendx New Member

You will find a every reason not to use your desktop..trust me I was in the same boat then I got my Macbook about 6 mos ago and haven't put it down since. =)

5. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

Good to hear! I loved linux and all the various apps available. The only reason I couldn't truly stick with that was the lack of PS and office. So I think this should/hopefully go smoothly! It's out for delivery right now :noes: