Newbie Deadlifter

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Riconosuave, Feb 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riconosuave

Riconosuave New Member

Deadlifted for the first time this week. Was trying to work on form, so I went 95x6, 115x6, and 135x6. It's not a lot of weight, but I think my form is pretty good. I think I can go way heavier. Right now I'm using an overhand grip with both hands. When my hands start to fail, do I then switch to an alternating grip? At what point should I worry about using a belt? I want to try to go as heavy as possible, for as long as possible, without wearing a belt.

2. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

use a belt, it helps with the form and helps prevent injury. No reason to NOT use one. switch over when you lose your grip.

3. N-Word-Jim

N-Word-Jim Cure for boredom

Generally within 70-80 or more % of your max you should be using a belt. It's important you know how to use the belt though, you have to fill your gut with air and use the belt to create a higher pressure inside yourself to stabilize not only your back, but your entire body.

As far as the grip goes, I just switch to an alternating grip as long as I'm doing singles. And many will cry foul, but if you don't care about competing or being a pussy, just use some straps and keep using dual overhand, especially if you're doing RDLs for reps or whatever.

edit: like Maine said, it doesn't hurt to just use a belt all the time and get used to it.

4. Riconosuave

Riconosuave New Member

When you say "fill your gut with air," you mean after suck in my stomach and tighten the belt as much as possible? Then right before I lift the weight, then fill my gut with air? Also, how do you fill your gut with air while maitaining a flex in your abs? I thought you were supposed to have your abs tight as you lift.

5. N-Word-Jim

N-Word-Jim Cure for boredom

You don't suck in all the way and tighten the belt, but personally I like mine really fawkin tight.

As far as flexing your abs, you should be able to flex and expand at the same time.

It'll take some getting used to ;).

6. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

dear god if you wear a belt please learn how to use it. it doesn't just auto-stabilize you. like these guys said, suck air into your stomach, push out on the belt.

7. Merit83

Merit83 Your mama was a snowblower!

I've never used a belt :hs:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.