Newbie/Criticism Wanted

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Guilty, Feb 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guilty

Guilty ...

Hi guys,
    I'm pretty new to all this...been going to the gym for just over a week now. I've been through pretty much all of the archives on here...although I can't say they have helped me much. It seems being new, there are so many conflicting opinions and beliefs that it makes it hard what to believe. I just want some criticism to make sure I am headed in the right direction. I have also read that starting out; routine doesn't make that much difference. Here is the routine I have been doing: http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459276 - I don't always do them as supersets if the gym is packed, but do the exercises. I rest one day and do cardio on the two others. I am about 5'9" and 170 lbs. I feel relatively comfortable with my weight, although I know that doesn't mean much in relation to body fact percentage. Here is what I have eaten today for example:

[​IMG]
    http://server4.ihostphotos.com/show.php?id=25431

I sometimes have trouble with ideas what to eat while I'm at school at night besides an apple or piece of fruit.
    Any ideas/help/criticism would be great.

2. ChaCha

ChaCha Active Member

what are your goals

3. moses

moses OMGWTFBBQ

you can make your journal viewable to public, fyi.

4. Eschafer

Eschafer New Member

a lot of people say 4 day splits are too specialized when your just starting out. maybe do a 2 or 3 day split to just get a base going and then go more in depth by focusing on certain exercises. up to you.

5. Guilty

Guilty ...

Increase muscle, lose fat.

I just noticed that after I posted. :uh: Thanks.
    So you think I would be better off with something like Christopher's routine? I was going to start with that originally and had been looking at a bunch of routines and was afraid I was overanalyzing all of them...LOL. I would really like to hit the gym 6 days a week for the price I'm paying per month for it.

6. Eschafer

Eschafer New Member

if you do a 2 day split you can still get in the gym 5 times a week, 3day 6 times. I just thought i built a stronger base doing the 2 day when i was starting out. a lot of it is personal preference though.

7. ChaCha

ChaCha Active Member

hmmm increase muscle... lose fat... those are two separate goals. (depending on your condition right now, overweight or underweight) I'm not going to get into the specifics of it but unless you are completely counting every single calorie and have every calculation right can this be done. Bulk up and then cut is my suggestion. Eat more

8. moses

moses OMGWTFBBQ

if i were bulking, i'd be on that routine and eating everything in site, with cardio on off days

9. Guilty

Guilty ...

What is the deciding factor for when to bulk/cut? That is another thing that I am kind of unclear on...one of the noob guides says to bulk if you are skinny and cut if you are fat...but I don't really consider myself either. :dunno:

10. Eschafer

Eschafer New Member

you cut if you have muscle mass underneath fat to cut down to. if you're just starting out then you want to build muscle...so bulk.

11. Guilty

Guilty ...

At what weight would I want to start cutting? And when that time comes, I would do the same workout with eating less calories?

12. DCyamaha

DCyamaha O-line found

it all depends on how big you want to get.

i'm at 5'8" and i started cutting around 184 (clothed)

i've got a long way to go to get "cut" :wtc:

i'd suggest cutting at 190-200lbs for 5'9"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.