A&P newbie advice needed

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by jpws6, May 1, 2005.

1. jpws6

jpws6 New Member

A couple weeks ago I took my digital rebel xt to a cards/brewers game in milwaukee. It was the first time I used the camera to take a large number of pics. I was shooting indoors on full manual mode and anytime there was any montion on the subject the pictures did not come out very well. Anytime there was not a lot of motion the pictures came out pretty good...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

However, when there was a lot of motion, the pics were slightly blurred...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When I reduce the size they don't look bad, but at full size it is much more obvious.

Any advice?

2. Ty Webb

Ty Webb You don't have to go to college. This isn't Russia

I was at the Reds/Brewers game last night. Did not bring my nw 350D though. Had not come in the mail yet.

3. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Your camera was shooting at a slow enough shutter speed that any movement was blurry. I'd guess it was shooting around 1/60-1/100 of a sec. Try selecting a faster (higher) ISO setting which will mean your camera can use a faster shutter speed. Every time you double your ISO speed you can shoot one f/stop OR one shutter speed faster.

4. SpiderOnTheFloor

SpiderOnTheFloor New Member

you are using manual mode and the exposure looks about right but you had to ask why motion was blurred? i am very confused....seems like you know something about cameras but at the same time you know nothing

5. SpiderOnTheFloor

SpiderOnTheFloor New Member

also, what lens are you using?

6. jpws6

jpws6 New Member

I was using a 70-200 f4L. Most of the shots I had the ISO set at 400. I am a newbie to this, I understand the basic concepts but have lots and lots to learn. I was shooting in manual mode to try and learn. Thanks for the suggestions Jcolman, I also went and looked at the pics and you were right about the shutter speed. Any idea what it should have been set at? I am assuming I needed to use iso 800 or 1600?

7. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Normally 400 ISO is plenty fast enough for shooting in a brightly lit stadium, assuming you have a fairly "fast" lens. By this I mean a lens that will open to f/2.8 or more. Your lens will only open to f/4 which means you have to shoot at a slower shutter speed. Try going to ISO 800 and shooting at 1/250 sec. That should be fast enough to "freeze" the action.

Also, you may want to try shooting at a slower shutter speed, say 1/125 or 1/60 and panning the camera with the runner as he dashs for first base while you snap the shot. This will blur the background, and if you're careful, give you a sharp pic of the runner.

One more thing about freezing the action. It's easier to freeze action shots if the movement is towards the camera as opposed to lateral movements. Pick your locations with this in mind.

8. Dnepr

Dnepr Guest

If you didnt notice but all of those were shot at ISO800 at 1/320s at f4

9. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

No I didn't notice and he said he set the ISO to 400 on most of the shots. Where is the data?? Regardess if he can't handhold a camera at 1/320 sec then he simply needs to use a tripod, monopod or learn how to steady the camera.

10. Dnepr

Dnepr Guest

Im just reading the exif data :hsd: