Newbert

Discussion in 'MMA Training Logs' started by Kenny Dalglish, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Kenny Dalglish

Kenny Dalglish New Member

today was my first day training at renzo gracie

Goals :
    learn bjj
    lose weight

Need to work on:
    cardio
    flexibility
    buy a 2nd gi

today I gassed during warming up but managed to make it through..
    inactivity for 3 months + tons of hooters wings on Sunday did not help.
    As for BJJ I learned to pass guard into side control, scissor sweep, scissor sweep to arm bar. My instructor is Igor Gracie but we also had a blue belt assistant who was able to help me and the 3 other total newbs out.

All in all I'm super sore but had a great time. My next night is Thursday.

PS - my partner today was kinda weird. As the assistant was showing us how to pass guard into side control he just kept saying what if someone punches you. Assistant was like dude no striking in bjj.. worry about technique. Which is exactly what I plan on doing.

2. Kenny Dalglish

morning after..
    super sore mostly due to me being out of shape
    my knees are pretty rare..
    chest is bruised from having a guys fists pressing down for half an hour..
    excited to get back in and learn more though.

3. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Punch them back. Then pass guard.

I love the guys that come in and genuinely are excited to learn. They are fun to work with and teach the basics.

4. Kenny Dalglish

Today was my 2nd day training. I wanted to go earlier but I was too sore.

Tonight we worked on - Takedowns, Passing Guard into side control, Sweeping guard into rear mount and then into rear naked choke.

I think I tweaked my right shoulder but it should go away in a couple of days.

Almost blacked out and puked during a RNC.. but will know to tap earlier next time. Learning experience.

Need to work on:
    cardio
    flexibility
    buy a 2nd gi*

I bought a 2nd gi. I definitely need to work on flexibility. When I was being stacked during the transition to being rear mounted I was definitely in more discomfort than I should have been. Cardio is pathetic. Need to start running.

5. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

yeah when your practicing a technique in class don't hold out on tapping, you're not trying to see how long you can take it before tapping, if the guy gets it tap and move on

6. Kenny Dalglish

yeah for sure.. It just happened so quick.. I didn't want to cheat him by tapping with him not having the hold on. This was his 2nd class also. But all good.. and will def keep that in mind for future training

7. Kenny Dalglish

I was late and missed warmups today but I was able to roll.
    Tonight Igor had the purple belt class and we had Rolles as our instructor.

Tonight we did takedown drills, kimura from guard, kimura attempt to sweep to mount and 3 min in guard both positions and 3 min in side mount both positions..

I got destroyed in the sidemount but I held my own in the guard from top and bottom. This was my first time actually rolling. Last few times they had me drilling some things since I was totally new. Lot of fun and I experienced my first collar choke.

I had no idea what to do in sidemount from top or bottom but my partner gave me some tips. I got scissor swept a few times when I was on top but I managed to get into half guard for a little bit.

I will probably go again on Saturday because of the Ranger game on Friday.

8. Kenny Dalglish

I took a 2 hour lunch break on friday and went to the 11:45 class.

It was tough because I tweaked my groin during a self defense drill.

The instructor was Jose "Zed" Chierighini

I didn't like him as much as Igor and Rolles but he was awesome when it came to rolling. He made you switch positions and partners 4 times so I got to roll with 4 guys of various abilities. All the guys except the first one owned me and was really cool in teaching me things. I haven't learned anything besides being in full guard so I get really owned from side control and other positions.
    It was a lot of fun and learned a lot.

Nothing changes as far as what I need to work on but I will post if there are any changes in the future. I don't think I will do another morning class unless I have to. I am just not used to being that active that early.

9. Kenny Dalglish

Worked on nothing but collar chokes all night last night.

Which is great because I keep getting caught in them. I did well from Guard and mount but side control I'm getting destroyed.

10. Kenny Dalglish

Tonight sucked.. got my toe slammed on by this dudes knee during a take down drill.. was really tired and was gassed 10 minutes in.. Looking forward to getting back in on Monday and doing better

11. Kenny Dalglish

I missed a lot of time due to being sick and holiday.. i've only been twice in the past two weeks but i trained yesterday and got to roll with one of the better white belts and learned a lot.. it was fun but brutal and once i get back from LA i want to go 3-4 times a week since classes are over..

12. Kenny Dalglish

haven't updated this in forever.. training has been on and off due to work but I've bogged down past couple of weeks and today I received my first stripe from Magno Gama.

13. Kenny Dalglish

drilled some takedowns and learned some new techniques.. worked some side control escapes.. i tested out the one where you grab your ankle with the hand closest to the opponents hip.. didn't work out so great but gregor gave me some tips and looking fwd to using it.. also rolled with my first blue belt.. was good.. learned a lot from him

14. Kenny Dalglish

havent been able to do much with stitches in my back.. gained like 12 lbs.. i might be getting them out today.. got a nice long road ahead of me