Newb trying to detail truck

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by bearsdidit, Jul 1, 2004.

1. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

Hey whats going on guys, I've done a lot of reading in this forum and picked up some great tips. I'm looking to wash/wax my silver tacoma prerunner for the first time today. I've read over all the stickies but I wanted a more personal response.

Can anyone help me choose a good wax I can pick up from a local retailer ie pep boys etc... This is my first attempt at detailing my car and I also wanted to know what else I would need to wax my truck by hand. I've read micro clothes are good... Thanks in advance.

Tony

2. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Good waxes that are available locally are Meguiar's #26 or NXT Tech Wax. You'll want to apply it with those cheap foam pads, they work best.

3. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

Great thanks man.
    T

4. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

If you want a decent shine then try using the Meguiars 3 step program that they have. I'm pretty sure that Autozone carries it but not positive about Pepboys. You may or may not need step one but read the info on the bottle and go from there.

5. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I'd go with Meguiars #9 Swirl Remover and NXT Tech Wax on silver. Both can be used by hand with great results. Read the swirl removal sticky on how to use #9 properly.

6. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Stay away from the burgundy bottle stuff, it's for your "weekend warrior" not someone who wants a professional shine.

7. Scottwax

True, but the products have been reformulated for better results. The burgandy bottle stuff is formulated specifically to give good results by hand and they do...but in the end, I would still give the edge to Meguiars professional lines. :)

8. ri0t41

ri0t41 Pants off Dance off

The burgundy stuff is a good 2-in-1 combo for someone who wants a wash and wax at a decent price though, correct?

I've been doing friends cars, and co-workers just to try and build up a customer base and they all seem pretty impressed.

9. sony

sony Active Member

I did the whole burgundy combo on my car 2 months ago and recently I started reading this forum and got S100 and VM. The Meguiars "regular" stuff just isn't as long lasting. I live in a pretty dusty area and the deep first day shine only lasted like a week. =|

The S100 alone makes the reflections a lot sharper and the VM I just got makes the shine sooo much deeper. :) <3

10. Scottwax

It is okay, but you will get better results with the tan bottle products.