newb questions...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by IntheWorks, Aug 13, 2008.

1. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

I'm looking into building a new machine strictly for photo editing. Our current machine we've had since 2002-2003 and it's just not fast enough to handle running Lightroom, and photoshop. From what I can gather, gobs of RAM is a must... I can handle the vid card, HD, DVD burner and RAM, but I'm clueless when it comes to the Motherboard, and CPU/Processor. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

2. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

I think the Intel Q6600 is still the best performance/priced quad-core, may want to look at the 9xxx models though, I haven't priced one in a bit. If you would rather go dual-core than the E8400 would be a good choice. As for the motherboard, go with an Intel, Gigabyte, or Abit. Also, unless you overclock the OEM CPU cooler should be sufficient (with a decent aftermarket CPU cooler you can OC the Q6600 to ~3.2 easily).

3. IntheWorks

I'd like a board that can support 16bg of RAM, and the only intel I found on newegg was way out of my price range (600+) what about this board?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128345
    and would I be better off going with a 3.0ghz dual core, or a 2.4ghz quad core processor?

4. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

I don't see why you would need that much RAM, but to each his own. Also, since you are wanting 3.x+ GB of RAM I assume you know that you need a 64-bit OS.

That mobo looks good. I have an older -DS4 version and have had no problems with it. If you are planning on running dual video cards (for extra monitors or whatever) then you would need a board with 2+ PCI-Ex16 slots, if not I think that board would be fine.

5. ady

ady New Member

As you have discovered there are only a handful of desktop boards that support more than 8GB. You'd be looking at $800 at least for 16GB on such a board, and that is for 667MHz memory. If you really want that much memory you need to be looking at a dual socket board which start at $400 for a decent workstation one. Then you have to buy more expensive processors too, and probably a larger, more expensive, case.

8GB is a heck of a lot of memory by the way, what are the specs of your current system like? You might find that a quad core and 8GB using modern architecture is more than enough for you.

6. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

you could always sell one of your redundant organs and buy a Mac Pro. lollers.

anyway, how big are the photos that you are editing? 8Gb is a very substantial amount of memory.

7. IntheWorks

reports from other photogs are showing that in order to have Lightroom run at it's quickest 8gb of ram is optimal. Users with 4gb systems are still reporting sluggish times. Mainly because when editing weddings, there's large batches of work being done at one time....:hs:

8. awns729

awns729 New Member

Out of curiousity, what vid card/hd set up are you going with?

9. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

so, 8Gb is enough or just enough for now and you'd like more in case you need room to grow into?

i don't think you're going to have an easy time finding a desktop or even workstation motherboard that is going to support more than 8Gb of memory. i think your main choice would be to move to a server class motherboard or something along those lines.

i did find these at newegg, but i know nothing about either.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131327

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128351

10. awns729

awns729 New Member

11. IntheWorks

8gb is enough, but I'd like the ability to grow into 16gb if I need to.

undecided on the vid card, i'll probably just run what I have for right now(unsure of brand/model off the top of my head), but I'll probably run 2 500gb HD's