Newb questions

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Swoop411, Mar 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swoop411

Swoop411 New Member

I have been browsing, I just havent found what I am looking for so I figured I would ask. I have no body fat and an extremely high metabolisim. I am 6'2" tall and weigh in at 140lbs. I would love to put on some muscle mass. I was in the Marine Corps for 6 years and talked with the Doc's there, I was told that I wouldnt gain any weight until my metabolisim slows down. We did insane ammounts of cardio while I was in the Corps, so I dont think that helped out any. I now have gym access again and wanted to try and get bigger. I gave up caffeine and carbonated beverages. I guess my questions are this, what kind of diet should I be on and what exercises should I do? I am really new to all of this so if you could break it down "barney" style that would be great! I was told by a friend that I should do like chest/tri, back/bi, then cardio/legs. Do you just hammer away at it like that? Like I said, I have never been in the gym so I dont want to be just walking around aimlessly trying out all the machines and playing around with some weights. I want to go in there with the purpose in mind and know what to do when I get in there. I want to get as big as possible without doing anything harmful to my body....like bad supplements or anything of that nature. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!!

2. UncleJohn

UncleJohn "That guy"

Well first off read, then just eat your ass off, lift as heavy as you can and stay focused, this isn't something you get instant rewards, it will take a long time to see results...

3. Swoop411

Swoop411 New Member

Yeah, I wasnt expecting to just get big overnight. But I would like to see results in the first couple months. Enough to keep me going, ya know?

4. toconnx

toconnx New Member

If you're that skinny I would drop cardio, but your friend has a decent idea (except instead of legs / cardio try legs / shoulders..). There's a noob thread around here somewhere that'll help you a LOT, but basically :

hit the gym hard doing heavy compound excercises, find someones sample routine that looks good to you (they're all over this board) and look up how to do the excercises on exrx.net (they have decent animations depicting how to do most excercises). Eat a LOT, seriously, as much as you can stuff in your mouth - all day long, making sure you get atleast 1+ grams of protein for pound of body weight ( 200 grams of protein is a good number to aim for at your weight).

5. toconnx

toconnx New Member

You'll see results if you eat enough and lift hard. They'll be slow but after a couple of months you'll see a noticable difference. Take before / after pictures to help with motivation.

6. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

Eat big, if you trully have trouble gaining weight, just eat most anything in sight. Try to eat enough protein: Chicken, Beef, Eggs, Stay away from soy
    Eat carbs: potatos, pasta, bread, Oats, fruits and vegies
    Get some EFA's: salmon, fish oil, flak oil
    Whey protein
    Drink milk!!!!
    post a tyupical days diet.

as far as lifting goes, stay away from machines, they willl usualy lead to injuries.

here are some good exercises to use
    Deadlifts<back
    Squats<Legs
    Benchpress<chest/tris

Start with those, and add other suplimetary exercises around them.
    ie.
    TRIS
    rack lockouts
    Brain crushers
    Tricep extensions

hope this helps

7. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

um, no

8. Swoop411

Swoop411 New Member

I am sorry for no quick reply....went out of town. How do I increase my appetitie? I tried eating more at each meal but found myself not as hungry at the next meal unless I pushed it back further in the day/evening. How important is it to get in a schedule as far as eating and lifting goes? I usually eat when I get the chance, and always at a different time. I could probly try to eat at the same times all the time but it would be hard with my daily schedule being messed up. A lifting routine in the evening wouldnt be that hard to fit in, but I just find it hard to eat at the same times every day. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.