newb question

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by JohnJohnJohnson, May 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnJohnJohnson

JohnJohnJohnson Effetely Sipping My Latte OT Supporter

I couldn't find the answer to this via search (maybe I'm searching poorly) so I'll ask it here.

Will building my back improve my posture?

I'm about 5"9. I did too much chest work (and/or my chest muscle naturally develops faster than the rest of me).

For example, at 150 lbs I was maxing out 250 lbs on the bench vs. only 195 lbs on the squat machine.

I'm now slightly too concave for my liking, which is to say that my shoulders come together a little too much in the front. More of a hunch than I prefer.

I figured that if I built up my back I could hopefully restore the balance. I know this is probably a really obvious question but I do not know the answer.

Is upper-back the best way to restore my posture? Please let me know if I'm forgetting necessary details :o

2. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

face pulls and various types of rows

3. JohnJohnJohnson

JohnJohnJohnson Effetely Sipping My Latte OT Supporter

ok i thought so :bigthumb:

thanks a lot

i've been doing wide-grip pull-ups, basic row on machine, overhead pull-down row (don't know the proper name for that one) on machine, dumbbell row (individual sides at a time). i also have been doing that exercise where you put the bar on your shoulders and push it off of you (should press?), starting on a machine/tread bc i'm completely untrained in this exercise.

i didn't know about face pulls until this thread, i will start doing those as well.

4. jmezz

jmezz layin in bed stretchin my pumped quads for hours

Someone posted an article saying that for good shoulder health you should have an even amount of pressing movements vs row movements in your entire routine.

5. 1.8t

1.8t Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.