New Winamp 5.1 takes it up the ass...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by PeacefulAnarchy, Oct 21, 2005.

1. PeacefulAnarchy

PeacefulAnarchy You get one for the money, two for the show, three

I've been using Winamp since version 2.0. And the new 5.1 version is a throwback to 3.0 in terms of bloatiness.

First off, it adds a splash screen. No big deal. But it carries a nasty psychological effect, an uneeded extra.

Second off, it's a fucking system hog. I do not have a slow machine by any means. I have an AMD Athlon XP 2500+ overclocked to 3200+ (190FSB), 1GB PC 2100 Dual Channel RAM, a Western Digital Caviar Special Edition 80GB hard drive with an 8MB cache and 7200 RPM rotational speed, a Chaintech 7NIL1 motherboard with the nForce2 Ultra 400 chipset, and a 9700 Pro.

This thing makes my high end box bog down like a pig in molasses. It's fucking disgusting.

A little fact about me: I like to open a shitload of applications at once. OpenOffice 2.0RC3, AIM, Firefox, and Winamp are usually opened at once with no issues.

Winamp 5.1 really has a fucked up priority, bordering on time critical. Whenever I open it, any other apps being used actively (Such as Firefox, AIM, etc.) freeze up and stop responding until Winamp finishes loaded a small-ass 1MB music file from Half-Life 2.

It just happened three minutes ago, and it came to the typical "FUCK THIS SHIT!" response. I've had it with this crapware.

Nuked off 5.1, put 5.04 back on. Ahhh...System performance has returned.

5.1 is a great example of why I have 1GB+ of older program versions archived that I know just work, plain and simple.

2. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

190FSB = slow
    any amount of PC2100 = slow
    ATA100 HDD = slow
    Chaintech = slow
    9700 PRO = has nothing to do with winamp, but not too bad
    you're running an outdated last generation socket A computer...far from high end.

that being said, it should easily run winamp none the less. yes 5.1 is a hog, i agree.

3. PeacefulAnarchy

These guys are right...you are a tool :rofl:

190FSB = Great
    200FSB= Can't notice the difference, ~30MHz LOL!
    Any amount of PC2100=More than capable
    ATA100 HDD=Hasn't had it's bus saturated yet
    Chaintech = The best budget boards around, kick-ass performers, rock solid hardware, just not the best OCing motherboards
    9700 Pro = Far from "not too bad" on par with 9800 pro in terms of performance, ~3fps.

"Outdated Socket A Computer:" Not a 100/133MHz FSB system, a 190MHz OC'd performance BEAST.

Why would I stick in an A64 3000+? Yes. It's faster. But a 3200+ XP is more than fast enough.

You should seriously stop being into the [T]ardOCP style logic of "zOMG .3FPS HUGE DIFFERENCE LOL!"

4. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

190FSB = slower than an XP3200 at STOCK speeds. nice overclock:ugh2: Your PC2100 is really holding you back FSB/MHz wise, your CPU could do better. MY 2400+ desktop could hit 240FSB with PC3200 ValueRAM on a "budget" Epox board.

Compared to my 260FSB XP-M (260*10), it's anything but a "beast".

I have no problem saying your system should be more than capable of running Winamp, along with many other apps. But there is a problem calling it "high end". If you want to think it's a "high end" system, be my guest...but it's simply not true. It's based on a dying line of processors/motherboards, and FAR from anything that is "highend" today.

And I said nothing of FPS...dunno where you got that.
    Sure, I'm a tool...at least i don't go around calling Socket A computers "high end" in this day and age of 64-bit processing and beyond.:rofl:

5. PeacefulAnarchy

Performance wise my system is high end compared to a say, 2.5GHz low-end mainstream Dell?

FYI - my RAM isn't holding me back - my mobo's lack of VCore is.

6. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Well, you could compare it to a P3 900MHz and call it high-end too lol

No VCore adjustment? That's a bummer, even my old ECS had it (although limited, and the voltage regulator didn't work worth shit so it was always fluctuating.)

Back to your original post: I use 5.04 as well...tried 5.1 and it had massive crashing problems when i was streaming media, and it was everything else you said too...why it's so poopy i dunno.

7. Tk

Tk Well-Known Member

right now its running with 6.5mb of memory...... i dont think its a hog at all......

not boggging my system down a bit ;)

8. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

260FSB on a NF2?!?! :bowdown: what motherboard?

With my old 2500+ I couldn't do more than 240X11.5 on a DFI Ultra Infinity. However only 3.3Vdimm was holding my memory back i think.

190FSB definately isn't good. Definately far from high end.

btw Foobar200 > WinAmp.

9. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

I switched over to foobar2000 when winamp started to suck ass. So basically not long after the 3.0 and 5.0 mishap.

10. Tk

Tk Well-Known Member

ill check out that foobar.... ive been a long time winamp user :noes:

11. Tk

Tk Well-Known Member

so whats so special about that? :confused:

12. Tk

Tk Well-Known Member

....its using 13mb of memory whereas winamp 5.1 was using like 6.3

13. JaJae

JaJae New Member

It's also high end compared to an Atari. That doesn't mean your system is "high-end" by today's standards. You can't choose a low-end Dell and say my computer is faster hence is high end. Compare it to an actual high-end Dell and make the same statement. Your computer could barely keep up with an average Dell, let alone a $700 hand-built computer.

He was correct in saying your computer isn't high end. It doesn't mean it sucks or shouldn't be capable of running winamp without problems. Yes winamp is bloated, but so is v5.04.

I have a s754 3700+, Asus MB, 1GB Corsair XMS 3200, 250GB Seagate SATA, 6800GT. I wouldn't consider this computer "high-end" either.

14. PeacefulAnarchy

I consider anything with a 3.0GHz/3000+ equivalent CPU high end, as long as it has a good graphics subsystem. And tomorrow this thing will have an X800XL in it.

15. SPPaintball

SPPaintball New Member

Runs fine on my POS laptop.
    2.8GHZ P4
    40GB HD
    512MB RAM
    Radeon IGP 345M

I've only had a problem with it once... And a simple reinstall solved it...

[off topic]Of course... When I finish my desktop... I won't have to worry about anything for a while...

Lian Li Warrior
    DFI Lanparty NF4 Mobo
    AMD X2 4200+
    2GB PC4000 Crucial Ballistix
    200GB Maxtor DiamondMax w\ 16MB Cache
    7800GTX
    Plextor DVD Burner
    Dell Ultrasharp 2005FPW

I've already nicknamed it the secksmobile.

Can't stop thinking about it... :wtc: [/off topic]

16. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Abit NF7-S v2.0 - pencil mod to NB, it took 2.2v (max pre-mod voltage was 1.7v):naughty: twas damn hot even with an active copper HSF. I've since removed the mod of course...running thos temps on air is asking for trouble, but it's very duable none the less with say water. might have gotten more stable, but at that time i had CH-5 RAM and it pooped out at 260MHz 1:1 :( I could only feed it 2.97v and it had ridiculously loose timings:wtc:

17. R-Type

R-Type The Bydo Empire must die!

winamp 2.xx ftw. It's small. It's fast. It does what it's supposed to. It stays out of the way.

18. PeacefulAnarchy

Just loaded that on ;).

Thank God it supports ImpulseTracker/FastTracker.

19. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Athlon XP 3000+
    400FSB (Intel adds up their bus speeds, so I will too)
    2GB DDR2700
    60GB ATA100
    Radeon 9200 (not SE)
    NO PAGEFILE

WinAmp runs fine for me...though I do use a 2.x skin on it...

20. R-Type

R-Type The Bydo Empire must die!

For tracker files, I recommend xmplay www.un4seen.com. Another, small, fast, and lightweight tracker and mp3/ogg player. It has much more accurate playback for the more complex tracker formats than winamp's plugin, and it has much better filters. When playing complex files with lots of polyphony it can eat a lot of cpu, but the playback quality is stellar. for convenience, it lets you dump these files to wav or mp3 non-realtime if your cpu is too slow.