A&P New Website

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by W.Shatner, Aug 1, 2009.

1. W.Shatner

W.Shatner New Member

Been a long time putting it together. I'm not a web designer so be gentle. I'm still working on adding captions to be loaded with the xml.

http://jaykopinski.com/

Cheers,

J

2. Ferrari430

Ferrari430 New Member

I like your blog. The various pictures and captions make it interesting and allow the viewer to see things from a variety of countries. The site itself is good but seems to be lacking a bit of content. Other than that, kudos!

3. W.Shatner

W.Shatner New Member

My blog? it's the only thing not done on my site. And you're talking about http://boston.com/bigpicture, great work but not mine. Guess that's a fail. lol. You do know each section has more then one photo right?

4. dr.deviil

dr.deviil New Member

simple to the point, no extra graphics i like it!

5. Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute New Member

Yeah, but you only have several photos for each section. I think that's what he's referring to.

In musicians if I keep clicking next I eventually get to just a black screen, but it still says next.

I like how simple the site is. Did you design the previous / next stuff yourself? Or is it based on some template?

6. W.Shatner

W.Shatner New Member

No the viewer is a customizable plugin for flash. I'll fix that just means I have an extra image listed in my xml file. I plan on updating and adding more to each section shortly. Consider it a first draft.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  7. Gromer

Gromer Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K!

Wow, another Flash website. Flash websites suck bro. Nice pictures though.

8. MikeTheVike1

MikeTheVike1 OT Supporter

It would be better if there was a preloader for the images. When I click next, nothing happens to show that my click worked.

9. Ty Webb

Ty Webb You don't have to go to college. This isn't Russia

I'd like to personally thank you for NOT using music on your site.

Sincerely.

10. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

You would really benefit from watching Zack Arias' critiques. Your musicians gallery has a lot of duplicates, the people gallery seems a little redundant (all of your images are of people, so why have a "people" gallery) for only four images, and the journalism gallery has a number of really weak images.

However, You have some real stunners in the Sports gallery. The B&W boxing images are awesome, and that's the type of work you should highlight. It's obvious that it's your strong suit, but you need to be much more self critical and condense your galleries down to one or two with similarly strong images. Images like the random motorcyclist and tiger seem out of place and jarring and they only end up bringing the entire gallery down.

If you have images you like, stick them in your blog, but they don't need to go in your portfolio. If you're serious about wanting to be a photographer, choose your specialty and then post a portfolio that demonstrates your capacity for shooting quality images in that specialty. This is the part about marketing that most photographers don't have a clue about.

If you're trying to attract customers interested in paying you to shoot a sporting event, do you think they will choose you based on a portfolio full of kid pictures, and musicians with the occasional zoo tiger and bride mixed in? Similarly with photojournalism, news editors don't want to see weddings and kids and zoo animals. You could easily edit your portfolio down to journalism and sports galleries and the two would compliment each other, then dump some of those weaker images.

Choose your target market, demonstrate competence and differentiate yourself from the competition. In that order. That's if you seriously want to be a professional photographer. This doesn't preclude you from shooting whatever blows your skirt up, but it doesn't mean it needs to go on your website. That's what blogs and flickr and smugmug are for.

Your portfolio website is your store, your image and your interface with your potential customers. You need to identify who those customers should be and what you want to communicate to them, and you need to avoid showing them things that are irrelevant to their interests.

11. Bloke

Bloke Banned

same.

12. W.Shatner

W.Shatner New Member

Jonny Chimp with the Tony Robbins approach. I appreciate some of the comments and agree its a first draft .

I shoot for one newspaper and a wire service shooting NHL hockey. And all the shots in the photojournalism section are published shots taken on assignment for my paper, hence the category. Not a lot of content as I said consider it a first draft or a work in progress. But thanks for the tips. I don't know why I've had shots published in Sports Illustrated or ESPN Magazine. Someday maybe I'll be a pro .......someday.

Please tell me you shoot for a living after that....all joking aside though I agree it could use some work.

And yes to the preloaders and more content then the 4 image in the people section. Sorry for the hate on flash, just simple and quick guys

Cheers and thanks

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  13. FlashhslaF

FlashhslaF New Member

first picture in sports section just blew me away.... :bowdown:

I suggest you watch the website critiques by zach arias on what to show for websites, it'll help immensely.

14. W.Shatner

W.Shatner New Member

And yah I probably will check that out. Sounds interesting and if it helps why not.

15. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

I cant stand flash
    I think the 'sports' pictures you selected are weak. I know youve taken better. The second boxing one is nice and the last hockey guy celebrating is nice too but thats it.
    The 'people' photos look like pictures anyone could have taken with the same gear.
    I like most of the journalism shots
    And the 'musicians'?...[/insert standard close up in shitty light]. Its nothing new.

No offense but what sets your pictures apart from any other guy that can afford the gear and point a camera at someone? From what I can see on your website, the answer is Nothing.

:hs:

16. Drunken Karnie Midget

Drunken Karnie Midget In Yeo We Trust, All Others Pay Cash OT Supporter

:ugh: I dare you to dig up a better boxing photo than the two he's got on his site, that weren't canned...

17. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And thats just within 15 seconds...

18. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I mean, really...I could do this all day. The first one doesnt do anything for me, the second one is a lot nicer IMO, and they both are heavily/darkly toned (but I guess thats the 'look' hes going for).

19. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member