new WD drive might be a dud

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jaydub, Jun 28, 2004.

1. jaydub

jaydub Every calling is great when greatly pursued.

:sad2:

I installed my new Western Digital 200GB SE drive tonight, unsucessfully. The computer will not post with the drive attached, whether it is the only device or not. I also plugged in only the power, but not the IDE cable, and the same problem occurred. Once I unplugged the HD from power, it worked fine. I'm going to take the drive to my job tomorrow and give it a shot on my work machine, just to see if it will post or if windows will see it.

I'm crossing my fingers, but I figured I'd post this and see if any of you had similar experiences.

btw, the hardware in question is a Soyo KT400 dragon lite mobo, and a 500W CompUSA power supply.

2. sleev

sleev It's sleep, life, and death It's speed, coke, and

yeah, i've had brand new WD drives not work.
    they issued me an RMA but I still had to pay to ship it back to them. kinda bogus.
    but that's really strange it wont boot with just the power plugged in. even the jumpers being set up wrong shouldn't do that...

3. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

I would suspect your power supply over the drive if it isn't posting with just the power plugged into the drive. When it's like that your mobo isn't getting any info from your HD. SO unless your drive is causing some type of feedback(not likely), it's probably the power supply. Try it in another computer and make sure it's the drive.

4. Spugster

Spugster Guest

I'd have to agree with Shaggy007. I don't see how having the power connected to the drive would be casing the computer to fail. The only thing I can think of on the top of my head is a bad power connector. It might be casing a fault in PSU which is not allowing enough power to be supplied to the Motherboard when connected to the drive.

If the drive works in another computer, try connecting it to a different power connector.

5. jaydub

jaydub Every calling is great when greatly pursued.

I actually tried it with all of the connectors I had, and none of them work. After sleeping on it, it does seem rather unlikely that the drive could be causing this, especially since it doesn't even post. The drive clicks and spins for about half a second, then the computer restarts on its own. This is before anything comes up on the monitor or any system beeps occur. It's really pretty odd. I brought the drive to work and I'll try it on a machine here in a little bit.