New video card question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Necromancer, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

I want to get a 19+ inch widescreen LCD (probably go with a 20 or 22 inch) and have a pretty high screen resolution. A friend hooked up a widescreen to his comp and everything is stretched out. He said he was told he needs a new video card or adapter to accomadate this.

What should I look for in a video card? I don't need the best but something that makes DVDs look nice and such.

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Your friend was using a 4:3 resolution (like 1024x768) on a wide screen so it got stretched. He should try updating his video card and monitor drivers before buying a new card. In your case, I don't think you can buy a card today that won't support wide screens. I just installed a very low end nVidia AGP card last week and it happily runs a 1450x900 (wide) LCD on the DVI port and a 1280x1024 LCD on the VGA port. Last summer, I installed an nVidia 7800 PCIe card for someone and it runs ran two Dell 24" wide LCDs at their native resolution.

3. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

It's not like it sounds. Your computers icons toolbars, etc will still display normally.
    A picture that's in a 4/3 aspect ratio that gets put on a widescreen and set to fill the screen will look stretched out, but you don't have to have it fill the screen.
    Also, a widescreen movie will more efficiently use up the screen on a widescreen panel since you don't get as much of the black bars on top and bottom.

But to answer your question, just about any recent video card will work on a widescreen.

Post a budget, and then people can offer up some suggestions.

edit* mdaniel beat me too it. That's what I get for putzing around with my answer. :hsd:

4. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Well once I get some driver problems fixed, it will be for a dell dimension 3000. I'm unsure what card it has now but if it doesn't have the right once, I'm looking for the cheapest possible solution.

5. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Look inside for expansion slots. The Dimension 3000 is sort of low-end so it probably has onboard video. Hopefully, there's PCIe or AGP slot available. As a last resort, you could use a PCI video card. It won't be the greatest, but it'll still beat onboard video.

6. Create

Create :free at last:

NP at all, but we need to know the standard for your system.

My guess: This box needs a maximum GeForce 6 256MB AGP 4x/8x card, maybe $60...if it's got an expansion slot. You could spend half that but it's a waste of money, really.

A few things would work, such as the dell ID codes from the case sticker (It's usually white and green). From there we could find out the capabilities of your machine and make a suggestion.

If not, we can open the box up and look. Something as simple as a good pic inside the case will tell us what we need.

7. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Here's the code from case-

service tag- 7463961

8. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

I am going to take pics tonight but what do PCIe or AGP slots look like?

9. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

To the untrained eye, they look pretty much the same.

http://www.slo-tech.com/testi/plate01/agp_slot.jpg

In that pic, the white slots are PCI and the brown slot is AGP.

A PCI Express x16 slot would be in the same spot as the AGP slot, but its a little longer and usually black instead of brown.

10. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Mine only has three PCI slots.

I might go with a dual 19" setup.

What would be a good cheap card?

11. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Go to Newegg and browse through the PCI video cards. Most of them have a DVI and VGA output and are under under $100. You really can't go too wrong (or right) on PCI video cards since they aren't exactly leading edge anymore.