New video card causing problems

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Plato Spaghetti, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Plato Spaghetti

Plato Spaghetti OT Supporter

A64 3000+
    FX5900 -> 7800GS AGP
    1GB RAM
    Antec TruePower 2.0 430W

Before I installed the new video card, I previously had no issues except for slow performance. When I installed the new card, at first the PC would reach the screen where I could hit delete for BIOS, but it would never actually proceed to that point. It wasn't locked up, as a little "Go" would pop up when I'd press the button for setup, network boot, etc. I reset the CMOS, and all was well until I tried to change my timings to "Turbo", at which time the system would return to the same pre-BIOS state. These timings worked fine under the 5900.

Cue about a week ago, my system hard rebooted while loading Oblivion. No idea what caused this. Never experienced anything like this with the old card. No further issues until today, where while playing MVP 2005 the system locked for a second, came out of it, then the sound went into an infinite loop. When I tried to reboot, it was stuck on the BIOS screen.

I tried pulling the card and replacing, resetting CMOS, and nothing worked until I randomly reversed the order of my RAM chips, and all of a sudden it decided to boot. Right now I have the 5900 in, and I haven't tried a game yet. I don't know if the RAM thing has anything to do with it, I have run memtest before with no issues at all.

I don't know what to do. I don't think it is a power problem, because the PSU is pretty new, and has plenty of juice for whatever. I don't know if I should RMA the card, or is it something in my system that has a problem. Any advice is appreciated.

2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

memtest will only tell you if the modules on the each stick of RAM is ok. You need to run something like Prime95 to see if your RAM timing and any other OCing is stable.

Resest the timing back to default and try the system again.

Exactly which make and model RAM are you using?
    What are the maker's advertised timing settings? What does the mobo auto-detect them as? (I've seen them listed as one thing but the mobo auto-detect as something else)
    What kind of timing are you trying to setthe RAM to?

The 7800GS I believe needs extra power from the PSU. There is a 4-pin molex connection on the card, right? And you are connecting a molex connection from the PSU to it, right?

3. Plato Spaghetti

The timing was at default. Also, I don't OC.

RAM is advertised at CAS 2.5 but runs at 3. Yes, it is connected, because the card whines if it isn't.

4. Plato Spaghetti

Flashed BIOS to latest, no idea if any change.