New user to Linux

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Cory Trevor, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Cory Trevor

Cory Trevor New Member

So background story is this. I had an old computer that died but the hard drives were still good. On that hard drive was a version of windows that wouldn't boot up correctly and it would just restart my pc. So now I have built a computer and want to use the same hard drives but I'm going to reformat them completely and start over with linux because it is free.

Since I also have a laptop I bought a sleeve thing so I could use my old internal hard drive as an external. Is there a way where I could install linux onto the external hard drive then put it in the new computer so I don't have to burn it on any discs?

2. Cory Trevor

Cory Trevor New Member

Also, what software is compatible with linux? Is most?

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i would recommend burning it so you install it onto the correct hardware (with correct modules and configs).

If you've never really used linux you're going to be very very frustrated.

4. Cory Trevor

Cory Trevor New Member

Hmm, I guess I'll have to find some blank DVDs. Where should I go to read up on basic linux beginner things? I don't really have a choice since I don't want to buy windows for this computer.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

6. Cory Trevor

Cory Trevor New Member

Yeah, I just started downloading Ubuntu since it's what I've heard of most.

7. Cory Trevor

Cory Trevor New Member

So this seems to be more of a project than I had expected.

8. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

does ubuntu have an internet install? i remember getting a boot cd for debian that allowed me to start with a very small boot image and pull all of the needed packages from the web.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you don't want an internet install. You will have downloaded the iso, burned the CD, and installed by the time an internet install is done.

And you don't have to do the full DVD... they have single-CD variants.

10. Cory Trevor

Cory Trevor New Member

Right now I'm just downloading the 600 or so megabyte .iso file. Will I just have to burn that onto a DVD and run that?

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

CD.

not dvd

CD.

12. Cory Trevor

Cory Trevor New Member

Well all I could find around my house was DVDs

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

14. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Oh yeah, switching to a different OS is a big ball of wax alright. Technically speaking, all your Windows programs can run on Linux because they all use the same kind of CPU, but you have to come up with Linux versions for all the DLLs that the Windows programs expect to have at their disposal -- things like the DLL that draws the window border, the DLL that makes buttons and scrollbars work, etc, those are all different in Linux.

Generally speaking, it's easier to just find programs made for Linux that do the same things as your favorite Windows programs. If you can't find a comparable alternative, you can always use a program called WINE that does what I described in the first paragraph, but getting that to work falls somewhere between black magic and good luck.

15. deusexaethera

You can use DVDs, but you have to get the DVD version of the file you just downloaded.

16. deusexaethera

Since nobody else is coughing up any help, here's what I have installed on my Kubuntu machine:

Firefox (web)
    Thunderbird (email)
    Pixel (image editing -- this one costs money)
    OpenOffice (documents, spreadsheets, presentations)
    VLC Player (video)
    AmaroK (audio)
    Pidgin (instant messaging)

Other than that, I pretty much just use what comes with Kubuntu. For the record, if you've never used Linux at all before, Kubuntu will be easier to pick up and use because things are laid out more like Windows. Ubuntu is laid out more like Mac OS.

17. Cory Trevor

Cory Trevor New Member

I went to the Kubuntu website to download and it's about 3 gigs, is this right?

18. deusexaethera

Well...DVDs hold up to 4.38GB of data...so yes.

Just to be sure, the computer you're installing this on has a DVD drive, yeah?

19. Cory Trevor

Cory Trevor New Member

Yeah it does.

20. m0nk3y

m0nk3y Not now, chief.

Also, www.codeweavers.com - crossover office. Wine based, installs in single/multiple bottle, easier to use, more compatible programs.

Good luck with it, and for fucks sake- before downloading any huge ISOs or making any big hard drive changes, get slax (http://slax.hosting4p.com/) or run the ubuntu installer cd as a live cd for a week or so- make sure it's what you want before moving over.

If you already have the Ubuntu cd, install it. Don't bother with Kubuntu. If you want to install KDE, you can do it from Gnome... although I think you'll be pleased with gnome and enjoy not downloading another 3gb iso. Ubuntu is simple- my grandmother and wife use it.

21. LOLZILLA

LOLZILLA New Member

wtf, ubuntu and kubuntu will have all of the regular intenet/email/im stuff you need.

If you're referring to photoshop, them I think even gimp is packaged with those distros.

You really might not have that hard of a time like everyone is making it seem.
    It's really not that hard...

22. Skankin'

Skankin' We are Ginger. We do not forgive. We do not forget

You can have more than one Desktop enviroment on a single install. I have GNOME, KDE, and XFCE all on my Desktop and you can choose what session you want when you log in.

But linux is a different beast than windows, but very fun to mess with. My main comp boots between XP and Ubuntu 7.10, Ubuntu for Music and Video and XP for gaming.

23. deusexaethera

Having multiple desktop environments seems like a nice idea, but it's useless in practical terms -- unless you're a Linux guru who runs a bunch of obscure apps that use library files only available in one desktop environment or another. These days, so much stuff is built to use GTK or KDE library files (and all versions of Ubuntu include both) that it really doesn't matter; the desktop environment you'll use is the one you like the best. To that end, I like KDE the best.

Though, one advantage of using Kubuntu instead of Ubuntu + KDE is that Kubuntu comes pre-configured with a different set of programs, almost all of which are easier to use than the alternatives that come with Ubuntu. You can always install them yourself, but it's just easier to get up and running if the version you pick has a good set of programs pre-installed.

My recommendation would be to download the Ubuntu DVD and the Kubuntu DVD and play with each of them to see which one you like more. There's a third version called Xubuntu, and it supposedly requires less RAM and CPU power, but in my experience Kubuntu actually runs faster despite using more memory and having prettier graphics. Go figure.

24. Cory Trevor

Cory Trevor New Member

Thanks everyone that helped.

25. deusexaethera

Bailing already?