New Truck

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by popsnbeer, Jan 15, 2007.

1. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

Okay first time I ever bought a car on my own. I'm 20. Let me know how I did, minus the fact if you like the vehicle.

New (3 miles) 2006 Dodge Dakota 4x2 club cab st (Base) = $11,999

Trade in Paid off 2001 Chevy Tracker 4x4 2dr
    75,000 miles = $3,700

OTD after TTL = $9,600 loan

And of course I got pictures

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

my opinion on this is quite negative, indeed.

3. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

lol, care to elaborate? it is your opinion though. Do you just not like the truck at all or was it a bad deal?

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well they go hand in hand, really. I mean that is really the worst compact body-on-frame pickup you can buy as a new model... As a result, I think the amount you spent on it a waste. However, had you spent the same amount on a Nissan Frontier V6, then I'd say you got a sweet deal.

So what vehicle you got is just as crucial as the price paid.

5. BigT

BigT LSX Crew

I think you did ok, which engine?

6. copeland

copeland smarter than you

from the worst truck thread...

2005 dakota auto is a
    42RLE - AUTOMATIC, 4-SPEED OVERDRIVE

http://www.allpar.com/model/ram/dodge/dakota.html

Chrysler used two basic types of four-speed automatics. The first, used primarily in cars and minivans, was originally called the Ultradrive or A-604, and eventually came to use names such as 41TE.

The A604 was a revolutionary development, but it suffered from Lee Iaccoca's desire to rush it into production. It was the first electronically shifted hydraulic automatic transmission that used fuzzy logic to learn to adapt its shifting pattern to match the driver's habits and tastes, as well as to compensate for internal conditions. No other automaker had attempted to replace the many valves and servos in a transmission with simple solenoids controlled by a computer. What's more, Chrysler was often not followed by others in their use of a "limp" mode, to take the driver home even in cases of control failure. The limp mode deliberately restricted the driver to second gear so the vehicle would be serviced.
    Aside from the electronic control mechanisms, the four-speed automatic is a conventional automatic with hydraulically applied clutches that shift a planetary gear train.

The 42LE (LH series): refined A-604 - Chrysler-provided information

"Drawing on the cutting-edge technology of Chrysler's innovative 41 TE, fully-adaptive, 4-speed electronic transaxle, LH powertrain engineers still were determined to literally,"do their own thing." First off, because the LH installation was going to be longitudinal instead of transverse, the 42LE output direction had to be turned, and because the superior torque output of the 3.5-liter engine on LH was beyond the 4ITE's design parameters, a stronger final drive unit was required.
    The 42LE's significant center-section component detail refinements were designed to cope with the added torque, including upgraded clutch packs and barreled axle shafts. The solenoid pack for the 42LE also is integrated into the transaxle for quieter operation. The 42LE's torque converter is the same size employed in the 4TE, but is unique with the cover and longer input shaft.
    In the final drive unit, a hypoid ring and pinion gear set delivers drive to the differential and from there to the drive axles, Precise adjustment of the hypoid gears to assure quiet operation is automated."

yea so it's foundations are based on a shitty tranny which was refined to be a "new age" in auto's...Unfortunately it failed but was kep tin service...this is the same tranny that so many dealerships ruined because they were unaware it need specific tranny fluid for the hydraulics...

Trust me, I lost alot of money on that truck I did my homework...it's a piece of shit...I even went in to complain to my saleswoman in the first month, and as we were talking a serviceman came out mentioning how another 2005 dakota was just brought in from a dirtroad after it blew it's tranny, and another truck had stranded people for two days since they couldn't get traction to drive it out of the bush (it was at a cabin area near a lake)

I have no rpoblem with platforms sharing drivetrains, usually it wokrs really good for the consumer (the new Rav4 with 265 hp cause it shares a motor from a larger platform, or the Chevy Duramax 3/4 ton which shares the drivetrain from their 1 ton lineup...) but when you put dinky parts in a higher demanding vechile, tyou're going to loose.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. affende

affende Resident 4X4 Elitest Prick

besides the fact its ugly as sin, you didnt do too badly.

8. Chris90210

Chris90210 New Member

87-04 Dakotas ftw but the 05/06's lost the quality that they had.

9. boomer69

boomer69 New Member

I would have kept the Tracker.............

10. t1h

t1h Guest

i don't think you could of done worse had you tried. if you like that style of truck you should of gotten the mitsu raider. same truck without the fugly exterior

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the raider has a better warranty, too

12. strubbe

strubbe New Member

I like the looks of them. :hs: I'd drive it.

13. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

well...after having the truck for one week now. I am still very pleased with my purchase. Maybe I was just completely tired of having that other horrid vehicle. I do like having a truck bed again. Thanks for all of your guys' input. I will keep some of the reliability issues in mind once the warranty comes up in 3 years.

14. cdemdec26

cdemdec26 Destroy Erase Improve

I just had one as a rental last week. I drove it for 2 days before I realized it had a V8. Comfortable truck and very nice to drive, just felt a little low on power.

Then again my every day driver is a bombed Cummins

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

They've always been low on power. Dodge needs a v8 to do what other companys offer with their v6 power plants.