GUN New toy for my new toy? (Rail is empty)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by speeddreamz, Jun 18, 2008.

1. speeddreamz

speeddreamz OT Supporter

So, finally picked up the gun, now Im thinking of adding on to it.

I think night sights are in order yes?

Then I've got room on the rail for either a tactical light or a laser... which would you suggest and why ? and what fits?

[​IMG]

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

light

tlr-1

3. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

x300 > *

4. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

I vote bayonet.

[​IMG]

5. cptbimes

cptbimes New Member

^that is beast

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it's very nice, but over twice the cost of the tlr-1.

7. RRTX

RRTX New Member

X300
    [​IMG]

8. prior

prior OT Supporter

:werd:

tlr-1 ftw.

[​IMG]

9. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

correctamundo. it's twice the light the TLR-1 is, too

10. speeddreamz

speeddreamz OT Supporter

Any votes for lasers?

11. speeddreamz

speeddreamz OT Supporter

tlr 2 - laser and flash light? what do you guys think?

[​IMG]

:)

12. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

You won't find a lot of love for lasers here, most view them as mall ninja gadgets. I don't entirely know that I agree and could see them having a practical but very limited use in shooting from awkward positions (say from behind cover). I probably would save my money.

13. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Only with the bayonet.

14. AB13

AB13 New Member

If your looking to impress your 18 yo buddies sure.

Practicallity, no. If you are concerned about shooting from awkward positions, you need training, not gadgets.

I wouldn't even worry about a light, you need range time and bullets. If you want true versatility, get a pocket light. I have never bought into a light mounted solution for a pistol. Rifle and shotty is a different story.

But if impressing some CSS kids, sure, get the laser, lights and drop leg holster.

15. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

So sell me on this, I don't have a laser and I don't have a range where I can really fool around when shooting. To me it seems like its possible for someone (likely police) to want to fire from cover without being able to use their sights. Couldn't a laser be a help in a situation like that?

I'm going to make a ham sammich now after flashbanging the kitchen.

16. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Here's an example of what made me think they might not be completely useless (Jeff White's post ) http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=232769&highlight=laser
    Jeff White's also one of those rare guys on the intertubes that I think is not entirely full of crap :big grin:

17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it was all good until the end.... the crimson trace units don't work for us lefties :hs: I like to get a high grip and my support hand goes right over the crimson trace laser lense.

18. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I shoot several night matches a year and for the past 3 years I've been undefeated. I've tried, own, or won pretty much all the gadgets.

The weaponlights are a real advantage but are no replacement for being profficient with a hand held flashlight. So if you only get one get the handheld.

The lasers are of very limited usage. I think they are slow, hard to use, and not very accurate if your using a rail mounted laser (I have a insight m6 w/ the laser). The problem the offset from the bore is so great it's a real pain to get it sighted in at a usable distance. When you shooting 6" plates from 10-45 yards using the laser it's not very good. Where the laser does have some advantages is shooting on the move. More on this later.

The one thing that is a major and I mean major advantage is a red dot sight for night shooting. People will argue their practicality on a defensive pistol, but for strait up night shooting, your going to shred every other gadget out there.

As with all things the gadgets are only a tool, the shooter is the weapon. You need low light, no light training and practice. When that gun fires at night you see the muzzle flash but you do not see the sights lift. This makes it infinately more difficult to call your shot. Hand held flashlight technique needs to be performed in such a manner to not only identify targets but to also back splash enough to see the sights. Night sights are good, but different enough from shooting in daylight to make them a different skill set. Reloading the pistol with a flashlight in hand, learning to use light effective and offensively, not sillouting yourself, and not making yourself a easy target from using a constant beam with light held near your body.

This is a whole other write up in itself actually.

19. AB13

AB13 New Member

Yeah, the last part of Yars post is what I was referring to in terms of cons against using a weapon mounted light as your go to defensive technique.

If I was the agressor (bad guy), it's too easy to just "shoot at the light". What I do when I'm "sweeping" an area is to offset the light by holding it with my "support" hand to the far left, away from my body. This also aids with proper "night vision" of my sights.

You also have the ability to "planting" the flashlight allowing you to place it on a stable platform projecting on a "entrance", etc while you take cover elsewhere.

It's much more "versatile" and practical, making it easily repeatable.

Again, when the shit hits the fan, you fight like you train, and my training does not include a light fixed on my weapon.

20. AB13

AB13 New Member

I ground a majority of my practice and belief around the "KISS" system. And I'm not very comfortable utilizing anything battery operated as my "go to" technique, especially when we are talking "defensive".

It's simply not an option for "me". I don't know that is ever a good idea, from a practical defensive situation, not swat tactics, to fire your pistol without a clear sight picture from behind cover. Maybe point shoot, but even then, in a defensive scenario, I want full control of where all of my shots are going.

"suppressive fire"? I don't know about that. Again, that's tactics I don't train because it's not practical to what I deem a legitamit "defensive situation" "I'd" ever find myself in.

If I am not able to manipulate cover without compromising myself I'd rather not break the shot and potentially not "hitting my mark". More oppurtunity for your gun to either jam or run dry.

21. Liptonucf

Liptonucf wee woo wee woo wee woo

I find that lasers cause people to take too long to shoot. They want the little laser to be so still but thats just not possible from an unsupported position. Plus they are expensive compared to the benefit they give.

22. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Well ideally you would use a handheld light held away from your body and operating it in pulses while moving. Changing height levels of the light away from your body as you scanned for targets. If your on the other end this is very disorienting. If and when the shooting starts you have your weaponlight. If you have weaponlight only you would operate in similar fashion working the light in pulses as you scan.

Honestly no one method is better than another. It is based on your training, and the situation.

We have some very innovative night matches that really works your low light skillset. They do stuff like angle walls and targets in such a manner that you get light splash back obstructing your vision if you use certain flashlight techniques. Forcing you to use an alternative techniques. Make you shoot through tubes where a weapon light splashes back forcing you to use a handheld held away and outside the tube to light the targets. Have spotlight pointed at the shooter that robs you of night vision and blinds you from seeing targets unless you move where objects block out the light enough for you to see targets. Targets are falling steel plates painted dark blue. They are invisible unless hit with a light.

Not mentioned also is another benifit of a hand held light is that you don't have to point a gun at everything you point the light at. For example if you teenage daughter sneeks into the house in the middle of the night through a window you don't have to put a gun in her face.

23. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

Nice choice!

24. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

25. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

That's kept for the boy she was with. :mamoru: