New Topic for Me enclosures/amp's

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TwistedMind, Oct 24, 2005.

1. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

2 part question enclosures at the top, amps at the bottom

I appreciate the advice in my previous thread. After careful consideration and remembering this is my first "system" I decided to go the cheap route as far as subs are concerned. Until I have a better understanding of what im doing I dont want to waste loads of money.

That being said I purchased 2x12" kicker solobaric L7's. Before I get hated on I may purchase xxx, or w7's or solo x when I have a better understanding. But at a minimum of 500 bucks a speaker before droping another grand into amplification its not makeing sense for me to do right now. So I purchased 2 speakers for 300 bucks this way I dont cry if they get fried.

After reading alot of topics on enclosures I still have no idea what I should put them in. The simplest and easiest route seems to be a sealed enclosure.
    I have no problem building this type of box and will probably end up going that route, but I really enjoy the look of a bandpass box. Considering the enclosure will be rear faceing whenever I open the hatch on my jeep I think a bandpass would be much more visually appealing. Opposed to a rather large grey carpeted box. Something like this

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:aBA5JjOIKh8J:www.dragondistributing.com/pictures/dbp10.jpg

After doing some looking around I have yet to see the L7's mounted like this.
    Is it possible? Is there any major complications to building a bandpass box? I am a skilled woodworker. But never built anything like this. Any suggestions or links are greatly appreciated. I read the sticky and the walk threw box building steps all seem to focus on sealed enclosures.

Part 2

I need a amp\amps. I found a kx600.1 at one of our pawn shops and am able to pick it up for 150.00 dollars. Its only been used for about ten minutes. Long story but it has been verified. practicly for all intents and purposes brand new.

Looking around on ebay I see the same amp going for around 300 dollars so that puts me in the price range of 600 dollars to under power my speakers.
    But It is less likely I will blo them right?

Can anyone point me to a reliable amp in the 600 dollar range that is capable of 1400 w rms? I know this is probably going to be a tall order but where better to ask.

2. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

P.S. Yes I suck at the linking sorry

3. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

the reason you haven't seen L7's mounted in a bandpass box is they aren't really compatible with bp enclosures. check out ebay, you might be able to find a Viper 1200.1. that amp was badass. also an older RF 1000BD will do the trick. don't be fooled by the 1000w/each claims of those subs, if you give them that much power you'll blow them (because no one wants to do the necessary charging system upgrades to support 2kw). a decent 1000w amp in sealed or ported box will be fine.

4. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Just a quick correction, you asked if underpowering means you will be less likely to blow them. The answer is no, underpowering blows many more speakers than overpowering. The reason is because people overdrive their amps, leading to clipping, and speakers don't like to reproduce square waves. This is a very common misconception. And sorry, I don't know of amps that large, I'm not into SPL. Oh, and I don't think you're necessarily making the "right" choice by saving money now so you can buy nice things later when you "know" more. You mentioned XXX and JL, which are both solid companies. You are not going to be disappointed with a W7 for instance, thinking you threw your money away not knowing what you are doing. Listen to people that have great systems, and start off with a great system, not something you're going to have to replace. Seriously, people have regrets by installing a cheap system first, not a great system first.

5. Arc

Arc New Member

He has a very good point.

I believe that JBL hase a 1200.1 that people like around here for bang for the buck scenerio, but i may be wrong. Elemental Designs mono block amp the niNe.1 puts out 1200x1 @1ohm 900x1 @2ohm 450x1 @4ohm.

I think that a larger size sealed enclosure would be the best for you, if you are a skilled wood worker you can make a box very attractive with some time spent into making it and painting or covering it.

6. Arc

Arc New Member

If you dont want to blow them why not buy some good 500+ subs and have them professionally installed. It would solve that issue and you might even get a deal at SoundAdvice if you bought an amp and sub combo. But to each his own and I wish you luck. Should be loud.

What did you pick up for your front stage?

7. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

Nothing yet :/ Still have the jensen head was looking for a new one but everyone keeps telling me to buy nakamichi (sp) but the thing is ugly as sin.
    Im still looking.

Im still debating on my front components im seriously thinking about the infinity perfect 6.1

I plan on going into the city one of these days and hitting up a few sound shops to get a listen to some quality components.

The general consensus here is the L7 suck?
    Well what about the solo X ? The company im buying my l7's from also sells the solo x. Would one solo x be better than 2 solobarics? They havent been shipped yet so its not to late for me to cancel the order.

For 400 bucks I can grab 1 12 " solo x but a major and I mean major problem im seeing is te speaker is rated at 2500 rms. How am I supposed to power it? I see kits on ebay for 1 12" solo x and 2 kicker 2500.1 amps for like 1400.00 would this be a way to possibly go?

Does the old adage quality over quantity apply to car audio? Would 1 RE xxx be equal to or greater than 2 L7 solo's? or 1 solo x > 2 solobaric L7's?

8. Arc

Arc New Member

I think the general feeling is to stay away from kicker..not the L7 specifically :dunno:

If you dont like the Nak. try to look for a decent eclipse HU.

Go listen to some stuff at some higherend stores and see if there is anyting you fancy.

Dont know about what you can exchange or L7's for if you want to. I thnk your best option is to save your money now, use what you have and get a very good HU and Front stage.

9. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

You should DEFINITELY listen to the infinity perfects before buying. I bought a pair because I had an insane discount ($160 for the pair) just to try them out and ended up being disappointed. They are very clear and crisp, don't get me wrong, but they definitely lacked in mid-bass compared to my Polk MM6's. I don't like my sub doing too much work above 100Hz.

I don't like Kicker in general, I don't feel they are an SQ company. People generally buy them because they get very loud and aren't that expensive.

I'm a little surprised you don't like the look of Nak. I think they are very classy and fit the OEM feel of many cars. You really won't find higher quality. I agree with Arc, check out Eclipse, I've owned 2 of their HU's and plan on continuing to buy from them in the future. If you like flashy, check Pioneer Premier I guess.

10. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

most folks around here don't like Kicker, but undeniably they are loud ass subs. some of the loudest systems I designed used L7's. I've never heard the Solo X, but i'm not that impressed with the sub, mainly because it's impractical for any thing short of competion. It's nice that you can rebuild it, but it has no warranty (at least it didn't when it was released) and needs entirely too much power. and about your quality/quantity, that kinda does and kinda doesn't apply to car audio. 2 subs are generally louder than one, but 1 sub in a ported box can be as loud as 2 in a sealed box. it's kinda relevant to what subs/box you are going to use. In general, a ported box is louder than a sealed box, but not as clean.

edit: and the eclipse fans run rampant in here also. I like eclipse, but i use Kenwood Excelon in my vehicles. i like the warranty, features, and the value that i feel they have.

11. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

Anyone have an opinion of the Clarion dxz855mp

I find it to be in my price range 300-400 And its growing on me more and more each day.

12. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

clarion radios are pretty nice, i've just found them to be a PITA to operate. decent sound, some nice features, but just a PITA.