New to WoW - Question

Discussion in 'Online Adventures' started by LBZ, Dec 30, 2005.

1. LBZ

LBZ Not Me = Not a problem

I'm potentially going to be picking up WoW today. Which is a better character choice for me - Mage or Warlock? Pro's / Con's.

I want to do PvE and some PvP. I'm more of a solo player, but do like to group every now and then. Thanks.

2. Raenor

Raenor New Member

warlocks are gross in solo pvp/pve if that's what you're going for. However, in BG youll get swarmed and downed pretty quickly with either character. Mages are high dd casters and have decent escape abilities. Neither is a bad choice imo.

3. Smileyman345

Smileyman345 New Member

if you learn to play the mage class correctly they are great for grp and can be unbelievably deadly in pvp. i have a mage that im working on right now and i lvoe it. so my pick would be the mage.

4. McClane

McClane Who Killed Marilyn?

5. Echilon

Echilon Reichsführer

I have a 58 warlock, and I'd say go mage. There are very few Warlocks on my server, and mages seem to have better abilities. Warlocks are mainly used for Soulstones, summoning and Stamina buffs, mages for sheeping and water.

6. McClane

7. Trina

Trina New Member

I play both and love both. Try them both out and see which you like the best.

8. SurffyZukki

SurffyZukki New Member

I've played a mage, I'd say go lock. I think they are harder to play, but once you figure it out they are better than mages, just with less escape abilities

9. McClane

10. Create

Create :free at last:

Warlocks get pets. Their best damage is DoT based and therefore their damage is somewhat gimped in large raids in the post 60 environment. They more than make up for it with utility, however.

Mages have serious concerns post 60 in damage/defense scalability and it's effect on PvE and PvP. For example: If a warrior gets a new weapon it could increase his dps by 20%. There are no similar upgrades for mages and therefore warrior dps has outpaced mage's abilities at the medium-high post-60 range. Mages mana shield ability absorbs damage but does not scale with improved gear at all.

If you want to play a caster but still be viable in PvP you should play a druid or shaman. You can cast all you want but success is through use of all your skills, not just casting. You'll likely end up healing alot in PvE though.