New to working out, but it's a little more complicated than that...

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by ices, Mar 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ices

ices New Member

I'm now 19 years old, and in college. I was at my "prime" in high school. I'm about 5'9", and on a thin frame (I'm chinese). 145 lbs was always my "max" weight, and I never could, or really tried, to get above this. In HS, when I didn't know there were exercises besides chinups, benching and curls, I could do 3 sets of 10 chinups, 3 sets of 7 of 180 lbs bench, and I don't remember my curls. I've always wanted to get bigger, but never got around to trying because...

My senior year I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. I didn't know at first because we couldn't afford health insurance so I kept on trying to work out, getting insanely sore, but I kept on losing strength. Conveniently, I also moved into my new house, and my friends and I did most of the moving. Eventually, in the worst couple months of my life, I dropped down to 115 and could barely walk because my legs would give out.

Fast forward about a year, I start having back and shoulder problems. Turns out I have a herniated disc in my lower back (I don't remember the exact locations, but I can look them up if I need to). I think it was because I was lifting so heavily when I was at my weakest point. I'm not sure if there's anything wrong with my shoulder, but my shoulder pops everytime I make a full circle, or when I'm doing the exercise where I'm holding the DBs and I lift straight out to the sides.

Fast forward another year (about 3 months ago), hyperthyroidism came back, and I dipped down to 130. I wasn't nearly as bad as I was about 2 years ago. I'm back normal again, and gaining weight. I'm at 142 now, same height (5'9"). I really want to start right, gain more muscle mass, and protect my back from further injury.

There are a couple questions that I had...
    -I know there are alot of exercises that help your "foundation" (squats, deadlifts). They increase your practical, usable strength. I'm not sure if I should try these exercises with a herniated disc, because I fear compressing my spine too much may cause another injury. Are there any exercises that can increase my "foundation" without risking injury to my back?
    -For some reason, when I exert myself, my ears end up popping. I'm not sure if it's an inner ear problem, but I feel like I'm under water and I can hear myself breathing really loudly in my own head. It's really weird, and doesn't happen to anyone else that I know of. After I cool down, it will go away. Any ideas as to what this might be?
    -Are dips/benching/flys bad for my shoulder? I know of many other people that have the clicking in their shoulder, but they don't experience the pain that I do when doing the side lifts. Should I try "reinforcing" my shoulder with more exercise?

I know that most of these questions would be better answered by a doctor, but I don't have health insurance. It's very expensive to see a doctor, and most of the time they'll just refer you to someone else. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

2. Vailripper

Vailripper Daywalkers have feelings too.

Check with your college, many offer low cost doctor services to students. I think these questions are probably best left to somebody who really knows what they are doing~

3. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

um, eat more?

4. ideeosinkruhcee

ideeosinkruhcee With time and tons of food, I'll someday upgrade t

head forward, look straight, lift, eat right, and get a good night's sleep.

5. Huge Evil Robot

Huge Evil Robot Must not sleep, must warn others

Don't ask OT for serious medical advice.

6. Bruised Lee

Bruised Lee John Kune Do, puncher of faces

yeah, no joke, hyperthyroidism isn't something to be taken so lightly, and usually its easily treatable, and has a DIRECT efffect on body building.

7. chizzle

chizzle New Member

:cool: Asian Broly Crew

And yes, though it may be expensive, seeing a doctor is the safest route you can take. Regardless of how much advice we here at f&n can dish out, a doctor's word is far more reliable than ours (in most cases I would assume).

8. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

steel cut oats ftw!

9. ices

ices New Member

I suppose you guys are right. It's just that doctors are expensive and not very helpful. At least you guys are free! Thanks for trying to help though.

As for gaining weight, I just found filmboy44's guide to protein. What else do I need to gain healthy weight?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.