New to this section of OT please help me

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TwistedMind, Oct 17, 2005.

1. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

So first I want to thank you all for looking and another thanx for any responses I get.

Now on to my delima.

I own a 1995 jeep grand cherrokee

I am wanting to upgrade the sound system in it and decided to start with the door speakers.

Being new to car audio I stopped by crutchfield to see what would fit in my factory locations as my entire area is scetchy and I dont feel like getting robbed.

So I have pretty much narrowed it down to 3 speaker choices.
    Before advizing me bear in mind I have a crappy head unit Jenson something or another putting out 200 W peak 4 channel. The jeep came with Infinity gold speakers/amp. The speakers have all blown accept one so I am going to replace them all.

They blew because of me I turned the amp on and well the speakers didnt last with the new head unit. I think I overpowered them.
    Anyways I plan on adding on to the "system" as I get more money. As for now i am sticking with my headunit and infinity gold amp. ( I have no idea what this amp is rated at?( Peak/rms specs anyone? )

Bearing in mind I am going to sometime in the future add 2 12" solobaric L7's
    Help me choose my new door speakers.

So here are the choices I have made. If you know of a better speaker in the price ranges I list please let me know.

Starting with the cheapest-

Polk Audio db6750 6-3\4" component - 100w rms, 300w peak $220

Mid price range-

Infinity Kappa 60.7cs 6-1\2" 90w rms, 270w Peak $300

High price range-

Kicker 04ss56.2 6-1\2" 90w rms, 180w peak ( estimate ) couldnt find a peak listing for this speaker $800

I am on a budget and I would like the kickers but at 1600 dollars for 4 of them they are really out of my budget. I am actually wanting to spend no more than 800 dollars for all 4 speakers.

So any help is once again greatly appreciated and I hope to get some responses. I tried to list the pertanent info but I don't know if I got it all.

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

ok first off, dont pay attention to peak ratings, you want to read RMS ratings

second, give me a total budget for the whole deal and i will recommend a full system to you with links

And i think you can do a lot better than the L7s

Hopefully Veonake will help me in this thread (not that other people couldnt, hes just the common car audio user I refer to for this forum)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2005
  3. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

Thats the thing I dont have a budget persay. As of right now I am prepared to spend up to 800 dollars on 4 6.5 " component door speakers.

next month I will most likely be prepared to spend 500~ on a new head unit

The month after that maybe 1000~ for 2-3 amps depending on my needs

Month after that subs\enclosure

I dont really know what I am going to "need" I work in a pawn shop and pickings have been slim as far as decks and decent subs\amps go if something good comes into the shop im getting dibs and saveing some money.

Im not rich so I am going to have to piece the system together.

I know I would like a Clarion deck As for everything else im flexible. I am NOT looking to win any competitions but I want the system to be loud and clear and capable of rattling windows in stores etc..

If I had to grab a number out of the sky as far as a budget im going to say 2500-3500

4. Arc

Arc New Member

I'll tell you right now that the first thing Veonake will say is ditch the rear stage. If you spend 800 dollars on the front stage alone you will pick up a really nice set of speakers on ebay.

With a quick search I found these:

Dynaudio 340 3way $749
    Focal 165k2P 2way $695
    Boston Acoustics 2way $599
    MB Quart QSD216 2wau $503
    Boston Acoustics Pro60 2way $360
    JL Audio XR653Csi 3way $305

These are just a quick sample I found on ebay in 2 minutes. You can look and see what price you want to pay.

I would personally go in the mid-range of your budget and save myself some money and buy a new component amp. I am sure Veonake or Ronin can give some advice in this area. (I am also looking for a component amp).

As for the subs check out elemental designs (prolly backordered though) and jl (i know sackrider) but they do have very good subs if you want to pay for them.

5. Ronin

Ronin Guest

As much as the prices are good on ebay I always feel iffy due to the general lack of warranties.

His budget would also support speakers by such companies as Morel and CDT along with some otheres such as the ones you listed.

As far as a component amp i'd go with one of these companies:

Arc Audio
    Zapco
    Audison
    Boston Acoustics, JL, Avionixx, Elemental Designs, and i'm sure I forgot a couple more.

For a head unit get an Eclipse, Alpine or Nakamichi.

Sub: Resonant Engineering, Image Dynamics, JL (sort of cliche but if you can get a good deal their subs are infact pretty good :dunno: ) Adire Audio, and uhh im drawing a bit of a blank. Any of the previous mentioned amp companies should also be fit for an amp here.

If you want to rattle windows and shit id say get an RE XXX and pump it with 1000 RMS watts, or something to that effect.

My arms hurt a lot from my broly work out so typing is a chore for me, I will post more commentary later.

6. Arc

Arc New Member

Yea CDT's and Morels are really good too, I just wanted to list some names he might of heard before.

If you want to rattle windows and you get some nice fronts I would say go with Ronin's suggestion and get a 18" RE XXX that would pretty much knock the pictures off the walls. Bit excessive but fun if you can afford them.

7. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

I dont want to just rattle windows is the thing I want to have clear crisp music. I want to really experiance the music for lack of a better word.

8. Ronin

Ronin Guest

Well then perhaps a 12-inch XXX, XXX has been put by some people as SQL (there might be a better SQL option) i think its more a of 60SPL:40SQ.

Perhaps something from Adire Audio, such as a brahma, people say they handle music pretty decently :dunno:

im not entirely sure

9. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

What is spl,sql,sq? SQ I am guessing is sound quality. and can I get a link to these xxx speakers? I googled them and was only able to find discussions on them. No info, prices etc.

10. Ronin

Ronin Guest

SPL=sound pressure level, SPL set ups mean loud stuff cuz SPL is basically the measure of the loudness in the vehicle, displayed in decibels.

SQL is a mixture of sound quality and loudness.

www.reaudio.com

you will need to call in for a price quote

11. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

i'm a big fan of my Orion P6.2's. I think the SRP on them is ~399.95. the only thing is that they really could use an enclosure, and they're big as hell. but if you do a set of those and about 100w/ch, you can get a really nice sound. i just don't remember if you'll have enough depth in your door. as far as the RE XXX speakers, i've never heard them personally, but my shop manager where i worked had, and said they were an impressive, beefy sub (i generally listened to his opinion, since he's been around for 18 yrs, and competed in dB Drag{successfully}) anyways, be sure to check the sticky that ronin started to help you out as well http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=1961709. lots of helpful info there.

12. ben.str

ben.str New Member

i say get rid of the jenson they use to have good shit but have gone down hill in the past 10 years personally i am a huge fan of eclipse and jl audio they are really good stay away from sony i went through 4 of their amps and i have found they are total shit, but that could be my personal oponion. i have an eclipse deck and eclipse 6 by 9s they are really good for everything but base and is exactly what you want the base should come out of ur subs. i have two jl 12in w0's and they hit pretty hard but i want to up grade to three jl 10's w3 the smaller you go the more punchier your sound will be and wont sound like one big blaaaaaaaaaaah sound also i recomen some road kill or some sort of sound damping material this will reduce rattle and help alot. if you have any other questions i recomen you go to a car audio shop but stay away of big or semi big co. like circut city. most of the guys that work at these place dont know alot about the topic. dont get me wrong some do. just do your reaserch and see base what your buying on what you want for sound quality/bass, and go from there.

13. Arc

Arc New Member

i have 3 10w3v2's i might be selling... sorry for hijack

If you are wanting something nice and not to rattle windows, look for 1 or 2 decent 12's. RE XXX are good, and I have only heard good things about Elemental Designs' subs. Go for a 13Kv.2 or a 13Ov.2(think those are right.)

14. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

People know me :wiggle:. haha. Sounds like people have covered things fairly well, but when you say things like "capable of rattling windows in stores etc..", I feel like telling you to buy all Kicker stuff, maybe audiobahn if I'm in a bad mood. But, I like Ronin's advice, and for an $800 budget, go listen to some old Focal Utopias, and MB Quart Q series. You'll soon forget about wanting rear speakers...

15. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

Solo's ftWINDOWRATTLINGw :wavey::bigthumb: