new to the Mac

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Labster, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

I just got my black macbook today and let me say that I love it thus far. I'm curious as to how I can get my toolbar to be transparents with the icons still there as well as giving me different options for Adium. I'm sure that these seem like very noob questions but I'm still getting use to Mac OS. Also, is there some way to get certain icons out of my tray? Sorry once again for the noob questions and thanks again for the help in advance.

2. DjShiznit

DjShiznit Representing Deutschland, yah.

Hmmm not sure about your toolbar question, but to remove icons from your dock, just drag the item(s) you don't want onto your desktop. :hs:

3. fishyhell

fishyhell muscle68>catholic school children

There is a program called transparent dock that will do what you want for your dock. Link

As for the adium options you want everything is in the preferences (command-,) unless you want to customize, my favorite thing about adium. For this surf on over to AdiumXtras

And don't worry about the noob questions we mac users love to see as many new people as possible.

4. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

welcome :run:

5. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Damn You All With Your Black Macbooks!!!

6. 330Cane

330Cane New Member

Go into system preferences and click keyboard and mouse. Click on the trackpad tab, and check tap trackpad using two fingers for secondary click. The go to the dock, find the icons you want to remove, tap two fingers on the trackpad and it will bring up the alternate select menu. You will see remove from dock. All set

7. ez4me2c3d

ez4me2c3d Cold Member

Clicking and dragging the icon out of the dock is so much sweeter.

8. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

Last questions for a while, how do I import my entire music folder to Itunes? I'm switching from WinAmp on my PC to Itunes so I'm out of my element completely.

Also, how do I add icons to my doc so that they'll stay there when I restart my comp? Once again probably a very noob question but I'm way out of my element with the Mac OS and I'm just trying to get my comp set up to my liking :)

9. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

I suppose I should also ask how you set an image as my background as well. Yes a very noob question but once again this is the first Mac I've owned. Sorry for the annoyance but thanks in advance for the help.

10. fishyhell

To the keep an item in the dock you have two options, one for each different possible situation. If you don't have the application selected you should find the application in finder and drag it to the dock. If you are in the application you should control-click on the icon in the dock, in the menu will be keep in dock. Once you select this your golden.

For importing your music: fisrtly go into itunes, go to preferences (command-,), go to the advanced tab, general should be selected the first two check boxes (one for keep itunes music folder organized and one for copy files to iTunes music folder). by doing this it'll make your life alot easier when you want to find the individual files.
    To add the music take the folder with all your music in it and drag it into the empty library window. Will take a while to add all of them but will do so in a good fashion. Once you do this delete the original files if they are on your HD because they were all copied into your itunes folder.

As for desktops question: go to system preferences, go to "desktop and screen savers", go to "desktop", go to "Choose folder", navigate to image using the file in which the image is.

If you have anymore questions don't hesitate to ask.

11. fishyhell

btw don't hestite to PM or IM.

12. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

Damn, if they made a black anodized MBP I would be in heaven.

13. fishyhell

If they did that i'd be first in line.

14. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

If they do, it better be before Monday, because that's when my 17" MBP will be on my doorstep.

I wonder how much it would cost to have someone anodize the stock chassis...

15. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

Colorware will PAINT it black for $449! :eek5:

16. frostedfrank

frostedfrank OT Supporter

so having never used Itunes and since it's on the subject here, I will be going mac in the next few weeks (total noob to mac) all my music/movies are on my external HDD wich I will use with the mac. To add the music in Itunes, I just want Itunes to read the music from the external HDD without copying it to the itunes folder. Is that possible? no need to explain how just if it is or not, once I get the thing I'll play around/search web for specific things

17. fishyhell

I know on this board colosodian does this. I'm pretty sure it can be done with quite ease. In iTunes you just change where the iTunes music folder is.

18. frostedfrank

quite easy then changing the default directory of itunes to my current music directory. Now I have everything in folders/subfolders for artists and album and I don't want itunes to fuck that shit up, last time i tried it on pc it fucked everything, what did I do wrong back then? I just want itunes to monitor the folder like wmp would. simple easy but not touching the files/folders

19. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

Definitely possible, just make sure Itunes is not set to "manage files and folders" or whatever, or to copy file when adding to library. It will just create the library database of all the songs you drag into Itunes, but the songs stay wherever they are. When the drive isn't plugged in, they should show as broken links.

20. frostedfrank

good, you guys I am a few days away from ordering a macbook pro.
    sold my computer to afford this trip but need something once I go back home on the 10th. As for now, I'm off to explore a little bit more of Nepal bishes.

oh one more thing, you guys think if I call to order, it will be possible to have the laptop come with an english osx but with a french keyboard? I write alot in french so having french keyboard is a plus but french OS are teh lose. So you guys think possible? it's the last hurdle to buy a mac but since I can't call apple from here I will not know for another few days :wtc: one of you guys who is bored as fuck should call apple and ask if it's possible to have that combination :x:

thanks and look foward to a few threads by me in the near future if all goes well

21. tehaviator

tehaviator what u think badass that me

:big grin:

22. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

transparent dock breaks every once and a while when OSX get's updated...
    i'd recommend Clear Dock instead, it doesn't give you all the same options as transparent dock though, it just makes your dock clear...

as for the itunes question: just make sure to turn off "copy music to music folder" or the manage my itunes collection BEFORE you start dragging music in, or itunes will take over and start renaming things...

23. frostedfrank

I presume itunes doesn't play wma natively.. any codec or way to make it play wma? I have a few albums in that format, well maybe more than a few and I don't feel like converting everything in mp3.

24. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

anyone know how to convert FLAC files as well?

25. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

anyone know any good DC++ client software as well? I'm at college and the best way to "share" files is using DC++ because we get downloads at around 10mbs