New to the Biking Crowd but love it. help?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by zackflavored, Aug 18, 2005.

1. zackflavored

zackflavored KingShit's Post #55!

Hi all, first time in this part of OT :) but seems really friendly like the rest of the place. anyways recently a co-worker bought a GSX-R 20th anniversary edition or something of the sort. anyways i thought it looked really cool and asked him how biking was and he said 'blah blah its fun and all that, then he asked me if i wanted to ride it' of course i first answered no to this $10,000 bike but he seemed really confident that i wouldnt wipe or bust it, so i gave it a shot. im 5' 10" and the bike fit me pretty nice, so he taught me all this stuff and he stood beside me while i was slowly riding in case i fell lol anyways this experience really made me want to get a bike ( which sorta makes me a "squid" but i wont be buying a nice gixxer like his or whatnot) anyhoo seems that some link did not work on the New Riders sticky, so could anyone recommend me a place to check out used bikes for reasonable prices? this would be a great help to me on my beginner's period.

cliffs: new rider needs help with any information on beginning to ride a motorbike besides taking the MSF course

thanks a bunch guys

2. s a x m a n

s a x m a n New Member

well, MSF is important ... so that is a great start

after that, just alot of seat time! Keep riding, you learn so much from just that. Always use your head and don't ride over your head.

Get gear, helmet, boots and leather jacket and gloves at the very least.

Ride with people that ride smart, you don't want to be tempted to do something stupid. as honda says "stupid hurts".

good luck!

3. 86 Bird

86 Bird eh

take the msf class. And then I would look at local listings and if you find a bike that your interested in I would try to bring some one along that knows bikes to look at it with you.

kbb.com and nadaguides.com are good places to find what a bike is worth.

4. zackflavored

ooo thanks for the quick inputs. by chance do you any of you guys know if there are any sites that i can look up of some biking terms?

EXAMPLE:

Engine: 996, four-stroke, liquid cooled, 90 degree V-Twin, DOHC, 8-valves, TSCC®
    Bore Stroke: 98.0 x 66.0mm
    Compression Ratio: 11.6:1
    Fuel System: Fuel Injection
    Lubrication: Wet Sump
    Ignition: Digital/Transistorized
    Transmission: 6-Speed

some of the stuff i read i would understand from cars, but how might i find out terms such as those above? thanks again

5. mnewell

mnewell Lucy.

Just Google what you are looking for.

As for those two terms, wet sump refers to the oil management design. Nearly all bikes (and cars for that matter) are of the wet sump design. Bsically it is an internal oil pump. A dry sump would give you an external oil pump. I'm not totally positive but I think digital/transistorized ignition just indicated that it doesn't have points/rotor/cap.

To be honest with you, I don't think you should worry yourself over those things. I mean, my Aprilia has a dry sump oil design and I never bothered to figure this out until I changed the oil for the first time.

As for your buddy letting you ride his bike, he's a bit stupid and a bit brave. :ugh2:

6. ragnarok

ragnarok nuclear launch detected

dude either your co-worker is really rich, a really good friend, or a dumbass... i remember the las ttime i let a friend/squid "coast" on my bike.... bye bye mailbox :wtc:

7. zackflavored

lol! sorry to hear that :( but he was a nice guy haha and i just drove in the parking lot woot, im not that good but its somewhat easy haha

8. 98formyws6

98formyws6 New Member

damn, your friend must be nuts or really rich lol especially since youre a newb

well you seem to have your head on straight compared to the countless other morons out there who must get an r1 off the bat

check out craigslist.org they have tons of beginner bikes. you might also want to check out the new rider section on sportbikes.net and do a search, there are a ton of threads there. good luck and ride safe

9. StocksQuest

StocksQuest Guest

r1 :rolleyes:

HAYABUSA or bust :mamoru:

10. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

Get a scooter! I got a 200cc Piaggio BV200, and love it. I've never really ridden anything before, except for a dirt bike for a couple hours, so I wanted something easy to ride, but that would also be fun, plus get good gas milage. I know it's not a "real" bike, but it's pretty close. Twist-n-go throttle with CVT, corners well, and no problems keeping up with traffic on the freeway. Plus 65 mpg. Very good starter, im my opinion.

11. zackflavored

ooo never considered a scooter before! do they ride the same as sportsbikes? or are they a little bit more "'lame"? should i say? i <3 the speed of bikes lol

12. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

90° V-twin simply refers to the type of engine.
    90° is the angle the cylinders are at. V-twin means the cylinders are in a V-shape and there are two of them.

Wet sump means there is an oil pan and only some of the oil is circulating. Dry sump means all the oil is circulating the whole time.

Digital ignition means computer control (more or less) as opposed to breaker points for example.

13. Frequency

Frequency New Member

i hear golf is an excellent game to take up too

14. mnewell

mnewell Lucy.

scooter != motorcycle

15. zackflavored

i also <3 golf :bowdown:

16. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

Never really riden a sportbike, and don't really want to, either, I plan on moving on to a cruiser eventually. But the scoot I got does handle very well, and I have no problem keeping up with traffic on the freeway. Top speed is "only" about 80-85 (hit 90 once on a big downhill), so you won't get the speed with a 200cc scoot that you will with a 600cc sportbike, but it's plenty for having a good time. I suppose they are more "lame" than a "real" bike, but I don't really care what people think, so that works out fine. I had to get the motorcycle endorsement to ride it legally. It's closer to a motorcycle that what most people think of as a scooter, ie, Vespas. Weights about 375 lbs, 200cc liquid-cooled four-stroke single cylinder OHC engine, disc brakes front and rear on 16" wheels, dual gas shocks front and rear, and the rear has adjustable spings to firm it up. It's about the same size, pysically, as my neighbors Ninja. Biggest difference between it and a smaller motorcycle is the CVT instead of a manual, and the step-through body.

Oh, and 65 mpg FTW.

Yeah, I know. That's why I got my scooter, I didn't feel comfortable starting off with either a big cruiser or a sportbike. And if I'd gotten a 600cc sportbike, I would probably have killed myself by now, and my buddy who has seen me riding agrees. I'm pretty aggressive when I'm out, in either my car or the scoot. But I wanted something easier to learn on and get comfortable riding in traffic on, before I went and spent a lot of money on a cruiser.

17. Imagine

Imagine New Member

Scooters are nice, especially around town. They just aren't sporty enough for me. I personally prefer naked or standard bikes. You get comfort and performance in one. A Kawasaki Ninja 500R, Suzuki GS500E/F, or even SV650s make really good bikes without costing a lot of money.

Definately take an MSF course.