A&P New to the AP....

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Swoop411, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Swoop411

Swoop411 New Member

I have been away for a while and decided to browse the subforums a bit. Didn't realize there was a photography forum here, guess I should have paid more attention!

I am a combat photographer in the Marine Corps and use Canon gear. What I am looking for is a good underwater housing for my 1D MkII. I know there are plenty to be found online with a simple search, I am looking for feedback from an actual end user. What company is reputable and has a great product? I dont want to waste my time with something that I will just hate in a couple weeks.

My end use will be twofold actually. One is the intended use, underwater obviously. My second is in the gas chamber on base. Wrapping a plastic bag around it and trying to clean the CS off later is frustrating to say the least! Shooting a VIP visit when your eyes are tearing up from the CS you didnt get completely off is a bitch!

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

2. strubbe

strubbe New Member

I have no idea about your questions, but please post some of your shots!

3. g33k

g33k OT Supporter

:werd:

try searching on b&h for underwater housings I guess. they have everythinhg

4. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

:eek3: i'd love to see some of your shots. in your case, i guess i might need to specify photos, not places you've been shot. :o

5. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

I want your job :o

I'm just the volunteer base photog right now, small base ftw :o

6. nine

nine OT Supporter

i heard ikelite makes the best housings

7. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

8. Swoop411

Swoop411 New Member

Jared, did I read that right? 3k for that housing? I am submitting the forms for it regardless but they are going to crap a brick over the price I am sure! Thanks for the suggestions.

As far as looking at my imagery, there are a couple ways, the one with the least headache for either of us is to visit this site:

http://dodimagery.afis.osd.mil/

Then type ----- into the search engine. I just tried it and it throws up like 42 images. Only four of my photos actually load, the rest are just crappy broken picture icons. We have such wonderful servers!

I submit tons of stuff to these guys, in the order of at least a hundred captioned images a week, but they dont post up but maybe an eighth of it. The images I see are not my best work, it was some crap I shot during the wild fires out here back in October. I just got back off a week on the USS Ronald Reagan and shot some good stuff that they haven't bothered to clear.

The only thing that really sucks about my job is that the imagery is not ours. Unlike in the civilian sector, when I shoot something it belongs to the government. I cant sell it, market it, or do anything with it. I get it released by a public affairs officer and submit it to several DoD agencies that pimp it out to the media. I can use it for my portfolio and plan on building one online at some point. I just stay too busy to mess with it right now.

My whole unit is in Iraq with the exception of my new photographer, a new graphics illustrator, and the broken graphics female in my shop. I get to put on several different hats during the day....ha-ha!

Erotic, why not lat-move? The VI field is the best thing going in the military, no bs! I get to do all the cool stuff and without all the headache. I have gone up with Force Recon doing para-ops, got shot off the carrier deck in a C-2 Greyhound, fly in helicopters at least once a week for shoots, and once in a while get to cover the local events. The Charger's cheerleaders come to mind........

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  9. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Yeah, they're stupid expensive, but they're the best. Figure if you can get work to spring for it, you minus whale aim for the top.

And if they reject you, the next form you submit for $1k will look like a bargain!

10. mojito

mojito New Member

a good housing is often more than the camera :hs:

Without lighting, underwater photography can be very difficult and lend very boring images.

Personally I would just get a good P&S with housing instead.

:wavey: fellow 1d2 owner

11. Swoop411

Swoop411 New Member

Lighting is going to be an issue, definitely. But they wont be boring I promise! My only concern is that there is just not enough light period for a good exposure. I might go the P&S route, but I will argue the other until they lose their minds. They will either get me the good housing, compromise on a less expensive model, or tell me to shut up!

I have a 20D and 5D as backup bodies, basically learned on them, so the 1d2 is light-years ahead in terms of functions. I still find myself having to refer to the manual at times! One thing I have learned is that sand and the controls do not get along. I managed to clean it out, and it works fine except for one thing, I get error 99 a lot. I looked it up and iirc it has something to do with the connection between the lens and body. I cleaned the contacts but I still get the message frequently. I would think I had a damaged lens, but they are freakin new! Any ideas?

12. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

The military is going to have a problem with spending 3k? They probably spend that much in ammo in the amount of time it took me to make this post :mamoru:

13. Swoop411

Swoop411 New Member

I wish it were that simple! You would be amazed at non-combat arms budget constraints.

I am in ComCam, we fall under the G3 section, which means we fall under their budget. They blow a wad on new tv's for the briefing rooms, reams of paper they never use, and new printers. That means when I ask for that housing they will balk at the price because they have to either forgo the new LCD tv and give me my equipment or tell me to go pack sand and get themselves some shit they dont need. Sometimes I wish that didnt know that fact!

I went next door and got a housing that ammounts to a freakin bag, I am going to try it out tomorrow. I hope I am not utterly disappointed with the results and the bag doesnt leak!