A&P New to photography

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by hurleyint1386, Feb 2, 2008.

1. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

Hey, I just got a Canon 300D, and so far, I love it. I've never done photography, but I've always been interested in it. I was wondering what applications everyone uses. I know two big ones are Adobe Lightroom and Aperture. Any preferences? Also, how should I practice so I can get better? Should I just photograph a lot? Or should I read about techniques? Thanks a lot for the help.

2. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

Lightroom.

300D is a great camera. Are you using the kit lens, or did you get something else?

Read as much as you feasibly can. You can never read too much.

Try out Lightroom as well as Aperture. I (as well as most of us) use Lightroom. It's an exceptional tool for a photographer, in my opinion.

Honestly, read some more forums, and just take as many pictures in as many "mundane" settings as possible .... it's totally worth it.\

Digital Photography is quite nice, since you can relatively easily learn from you r "mistakes".

that's what i love. that, and the "digital community" seems extremely interested in my success. that's obviously nice. :big grin:

3. hurleyint1386

I've been using Lightroom and it seems great. I'm still working on obtaining Aperture, though.
    I'm using the 18-55mm lense that came with the camera. The person I got the camera from included a battery grip, and remote.
    I'll probably take some pictures today and post them to see what I need to improve on. I hope OT isn't too harsh haha

4. Spurious

Spurious New Member

Lightroom is great as long as you have enough ram, and even if you don't, just use it for pp and manage your library manually. 1.3 is much easier on the system.

Shoot raw.

Read as much as you possibly can. The link below is fantastic place to start for composition.
    http://digital-photography-school.com/blog/digital-photography-composition-tips/

Taking a photo is always better than not taking a photo, and I suggest you try to take at least one every day. You'll find it's hard to stop at just one though, which is the idea.

If you feel like you need to use auto, use program [P] instead. It will let you adjust the exposure and ISO. Move on at Av (Aperture Priority) and Tv (Shutter Priority) as soon as you understand the difference between the two.

You'll want to get a new lens, the kit lens really isn't going to satisfy your expectations of what a DSLR should be. I suggest the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8

OT is harsh, but you'll find harshness teaches you faster than every single person saying your subpar snapshot should go in a gallery (Re: PotN)

That said, just remember everyone being harsh took photos just like yours at one point, and some of them still may. :mamoru:

5. hurleyint1386

haha thanks a lot. How can I tell if I'm shooting RAW or not? Right now I'm using a MacBook Pro with 2 gigs of RAM, so Lightroom runs flawlessly. I've been trying P, and Av but I can't really tell a difference. I need to look into it some more. I'd like to get another lense, but they're very expensive. I'll work with this one for now until I can afford another one.
    I expect OT to be harsh, because they are harsh on everything else haha.
    Yesterday, I got home late at night, and took about 100 pictures because I couldn't stop! haha I've only got a 1gb CF card, so I might try to get a bigger one so I'm not constantly worried about how many pictures I can take.
    Also, is it just me, or does it take quite a while to import photos into Lightroom? It takes about 25 seconds per picture.

6. Spurious

Spurious New Member

If it's taking that long it sounds like you're shooting in raw.

7. hurleyint1386

Just wondering, are there any decent lenses that don't cost more than the camera? I was lucky and got the camera plus cash for a PowerMac G4 I had. I'm just looking to learn, but don't really have too much money. Perhaps someone has a good lens that they don't use and might be interested in a trade? I've got laptops, RAM, a bunch of other computer electronics. I work at a computer recycling place, so I get a bunch of everything. Let me know.

By the way, I picked up a book today, "Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT" by David D. Busch. I've got the Rebel, but not the Rebel XT. It's got a lot of the same exact features, so it will still be very useful to me, but I don't know the difference with the Rebel and Rebel XT.

8. Spurious

Spurious New Member

The Canon 50mm 1.8 is the only lens < $300 worth looking at. The one I recommended to you is the best value "walk around" lens you can buy. You should expect to spend much more on lenses than you did on the body, they're what gives you a great image. And trust me, I'm not being a purist image quality nazi, cheap lenses really are shitty.

Photography is not a budget hobby, even a single basic diy strobist (flash on a stick) lighting kit is about $170.

9. hurleyint1386

I think that I'll stick with the kit lens for now, just so I can learn more about the camera, aperture/shutter priorities, shutter speeds, ISO, stuff like that. There's no point in me getting a really nice lens if I can't use it yet. It's like giving a 2 year old a MacBook Pro; they have no idea how to use it, and when they finally do learn, it's out dated and they'll need a new one.

10. SpiderOnTheFloor

SpiderOnTheFloor New Member

just start saving now

11. hurleyint1386

I could get one now if I wanted to, but I'm just not ready to get one. Once I feel like I know enough, then I'll get one