New to OSX... got a couple of questions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by drake, Feb 3, 2010.

1. drake

drake OT Supporter

I've been able to find most of the answers to how to do things with google, but not quite sure what to search for on this one: If I have a file name that over a certain amount of characters it displays "longassfilena...xls" on the desktop. Is there any way to click on it and have it display the entire filename like windows does? I've found that if I hold the option key down and/or hove over the filename it will display, but it's not very responsive (new 3.06GHz iMac).

This wouldn't matter at home but at work, I often name things with the same first few characters or date which makes it a pain to hover over each one.

My next question is is it the network or a feature of OSX to open a file over the network on a samba share through an alias/folder that I can't save it back to the same location on the server? Is this a share issue with the way the network is set up or some sort of limitation with OSX on a Windows server environment :dunno: I have write access to the folder/sever I'm trying to save to, just can't seem to do it through the program, say excel/word/etc.

If that doesn't make sense I'll try to clarify:
    1. open remote file on server over smb share, either through finder or alias
    2. edit file, click save
    3. Error, can't do this because it might be in use/not have permission/etc
    4. try to save as... same problem
    5. save to desktop, works fine, but I then have to remember to bring the file over to the server location manually and then I have multiple versions and it's just a hassle :hsugh: