New to detailing, couple of questions...

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by toconnx, May 14, 2005.

1. toconnx

toconnx New Member

Hey guys, I'm new to detailing but I just bought a 1999 Trans Am 3 weeks ago that has been garaged it's entire life and the paint is absolutely gorgeous and I intend to try and keep it that way, even though I don't have access to a garage :( I've read up a lot on autopia and here the past few days, including reading front to back the autopia detailing guide several times and browsing the forums for about 3 pages.. These are my questions :

1. Polishes vs Glazes. I'm not sure I completely understand the difference between these, is a glaze just a very-low abrasion polish?

2. Sealants vs Waxes. What is the difference? I've read that a sealant goes on before the wax to protect the paint better/longer, but I've also read that a sealant is just the term for a synthetic wax, which one is true (or is it both and a synthetic wax goes on before a natural wax?)

3. I know there are product lists all over the place, but can someone reccommend me a decent product list to use on pewter paint (silver / light gold, depending on how you're looking at it) that will bring out a nice "wet" look?

4. Where do you guys get your products from? I went to the local wal-mart car section and 3 auto-supply stores just to check out what they had in stock, and besides some Meguiars stuff, I didn't see anything that looked very good. Mostly turtle wax craphouse products.

2. perry

perry burp

"It depends" :) Meguiar's has two types of polishes -- one that is abrasive and can remove swirls, the other is what they call a "pure polish" that just adds oils and "nutrients" to the paint to make it look better. The later is what the rest of us probably call a glaze. Then there his Vanilla Moose hand glaze which may be your definition. It took me quite a while before I finally figured out the difference too!

Both. Some prefer the look of a sealant by itself, some like to top their sealant with a natural wax.

Online mostly. Some stuff like glass cleaners and tire dressings you can get locally, but most of the paint products I get online. www.autopia-carcare.com www.autogeek.net www.properautocare.com www.premiumautocare.com www.pakshak.com www.specialtymotoring.com www.exceldetail.com to name a few...

Some of the new Mother's stuff is supposed to be pretty good.. Their FX line and the Reflections line. Meguiar's NXT line is nice as well. Other than that, yea.... online for me it seems. I was going through my collection the other day and noticed I had a lot of stuff from www.poorboysworld.com

If you have a Harley dealer nearby, they sell the S100 line.. The wax is good stuff.

3. toconnx

toconnx New Member

One other question I just thought of now that I'm looking at these stores : should I stick with good name-brand cleaning hardware (i.e. microfibers, terry clothes, brushes, etc.) or is it okay to go with the no-name brands? I noticed wal-mart no-name brands advertise the same stuff and are a lot cheaper, but at the same time, I don't want to scratch up my car's paint with shitty off-brands that have rough edges or shitty bristles on the brushes...

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I'd go with name brand products. The new Meguiars microfiber towels are every bit as good as the boutique MFs online.

5. perry

perry burp

Been hearing good reports about the new line at Target called Vroom. The drying towel is supposed to be pretty decent. The other off brand towels that you see are fine for using on the interior, under the hood, etc.

I don't use a brush on my paint at all. Only my wheels, tires, and wheel wells. Stick with nice sheepskin or chenille mitts on the paint.