New to car washing... questions about paint chips and clay

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by fixthe fernback, Apr 7, 2009.

1. fixthe fernback

fixthe fernback New Member

Hey all,

I just got a car that I actually would want to wash. It's a silver 2006 Mazda 3s. Nothing special, but I want it to look really good. I never really payed any attention to washing my last 2 cars. One of them was a blue 1987 Olds 88 and from years of sitting it developed an actually pretty cool looking leaf print in the paint. Covered in wet leaves for years, I'm guessing. The other was a white 1995 1995 Buick Lesabre that never really looked all that dirty and the most I did to it was take it to a self service wash every couple weeks. Didn't really do much, those things suck.

Anyway, I've heard that the paint on newish Mazdas is terrible. Anything I should know about it? The only problem I've noticed have been on the hood and the bumper. There are plenty of stone chips, some only down the the primer, and some look like they're down to the metal. When claying, should I try to avoid these? I don't want to cause the paint to peel.

There's a coupe of bigger chips that look like someone tried to touch up and did an atrocious job... I don't even think they used the right color! Anything to do about that?

I am currently reading tons over at Autotopia, so I may answer some of my own questions, but maybe some of you are bored and want to give me some advice?

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

The only real solution long term for your hood and bumper is a repaint. Short term, claying shouldn't be a problem, never had any problems with my customer's cars when claying over chipped areas.