A&P New to A&P...few questions

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by yimmy, May 7, 2007.

1. yimmy

yimmy New Member

I purchased a Nikon D200 a few months ago and have been lurking in this section learning a lot of new things. I still am not great with it and have lots of settings I still have no clue about. First im going to just post a few pics ive taken and hopefully you guys can give me a little feedback. Sorry they are so random, all my pics are on my other comp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My little bro....
    [​IMG]

Fire....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My first try at HDR. Came out pretty cool but to unrealistic looking

[​IMG]

Another thing I wanted to ask was that I have to chance to get a Canon 1d. It is not the Mark II but I think the older one. How much is that camera worth? And is it any better then my D200 or should I just keep the D200. Here is a pic of the camera.

[​IMG]

2. Keep the D200, 1d is nice but it's old technology. Also 4mp compared to D200 has 10mp. 1d has a smaller viewfinder the list goes on...

1d does have a larger sensor I believe. but not too sure.

I've seen 1d's go used for $700. On the other hand I've seen used D200's go used for as low as $1100 but usually the go for around $1300.

3. yimmy

yimmy New Member

LowLikeWhoa why is it so expensive? The D200 is at 1474 street price which is about right so why is the 1D at 7'gs. I really dont mind my D200 but I kinda wanted to try a canon before I really get into photography.

4. 7g's is the amount it went for back in the day when this camera camera first came to market. If you don't believe me that the 1d classic is cheap take a trip on over to www.photography-on-the.net or www.fredmiranda.com. You can see some 1d classics for sale for $900 and they are week old threads with no one interested in buying that is too much money for what it's worth by todays standards.

Me personally I'd like to get a 1ds. If you want to sell your D200 a better option woudl be to get a 1ds, but they go for $2200 used, well worth the money though I believe.

5. yimmy

yimmy New Member

Yea I believed you because the one I was looking at was only 900. What I would really like to do is try out a canon without selling the D200 but I dont know anyone around here even with a SLR. Thanks for those sites.

6. Blair

Blair New Member

d200 is a fine cam, dont get rid of it. build your setup around it.

if you like the form factor of the 1d get a battery grip for the d200.

what glass do you have? that is the biggest thing you can do to improve your shooting experience and results (IMHO).

7. yimmy

yimmy New Member

I have the 18-70 right now. Looking to maybe get the 18-200 VR. I dont know much about lenses yet some im going off of what I read on the net. I signed up for a photography classe and was all excited to learn all this new shit and the 2nd day the teacher quits for some odd reason. Now im lost again...

8. Blair

Blair New Member

you should look into some of the higher end nikon glass. 17-55 2.8,70-200 2.8 VR, 80-200 2.8

having that 2.8 aperture will help your photography indoors as well as give you some more flexibility in low light, sports, and action situations. also the build quality and image quality is far beyond what the consumer/prosumer lenses will deliver.

another to check is the tamron 17-50 2.8

i was hesitant to buy any third party glass after a less than stellar experience with sigma; this lens is really well build and extremely sharp. it might be a cheap experience in faster glass for you (faster means smaller aperture number=more light)

9. yimmy

yimmy New Member

Blair thanks for the advice. I really dont know shit about lenses could you enlighten me a bit. The 17-55 will not zoom as far as the other two lenses, correct. The other day I was trying to get some shots of the eagles on the river and was frustrated because my lense just wont do it. Would the 70-200 and 80-200 be a good lense for shooting wildlife and such.

10. Yes it would be a better lens for wildlife. Not the best though. 200mm will get you alot closer to any wild life than you would get with the lens you're currently using. a 400mm lens on your 1.5x crop body would be better for shooting birds but you're going to have to pay alot more money obviously.

Here's a sample of birds shot with canon 70-200 + 1.6 crop body

[​IMG]

11. Hypnos_VI

Hypnos_VI JENGA!

my personal opinion about trying a canon before deciding which to use. both nikon and canon make awesome cameras, but make sure you choose the one that feels right to you, cuz once you get into it, it gets expensive!.

for myself, one of the biggest reason i like canon is the position of the index wheel, the thumb wheel, and the way the lens zoom rotates...really just a bunch of stupid comfort stuff. lol