New tires for the Lotus

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by m3m750, Jun 10, 2007.

1. m3m750

m3m750 Kickin' it old school

I decided I needed something with a bit more grip than the stock Yokohama AD07s for play days, so I got a set of Goodyear cantilever slicks (on the car) for AutoX events and a set of Toyo RA1s for track days.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Shot of the engine bay? Nice car btw.

3. Chris87

Chris87 flatoutperformance.com

Shouldn't you be using the slicks for track days and the RA1's for auto-x? Are those slicks ever going to warm up in a parking lot?

Either way, SWEET car man. :bigthumb:

4. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

How did you like the Advan Neova AD07s? I wish I could convince myself to get a set, should be a good street/track compromise. Poor ftl, I am currently running Kumho MXs :hsd: Going to give them a beating at VIR next week :coold:

5. m3m750

The RA1s are more heat sensitive than the slicks.

At this point, I don't feel like I have enough track experience to run slicks. They're too binary, you either have grip or you don't. The RA1s communicate more at the threshold making it easier to save.

6. m3m750

The AD07s are really nice, but the stock size up front is a 175, leading to way too much understeer. With the RA1s I've got 205s up front. Other than that, I was going through the AD07s way to fast with monthly autox and the occasional trip to the track. I'm on my 4th set of rears with less than 20k on the car.

The RA1s are definitely grippier and less expensive than the AD07s by about $75 a tire. You may want to consider those. They're about the same as the Yoko AO48s for grip, but they supposedly last longer.

I do like the MXs too, they're on the Porsche.

7. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

I don't have the dough for another set of rims at this point to get a set of RA1s :hs: Therefor I am stuck with using the "best bang for the buck" options which usually boils down to Azenis 615s and Kumho MXs.

I would say that 4 sets in 20k is way way too much tire wear. I can't really compare as I've only tracked my M3 and a 330ci but my tire set easily lasts me 20k or so which includes about 4-5 DEs or 8-10 track days and daily driving in between. I also have the benefit of swapping front to rear as I run 235s on both so that definitely helps the wear.

I'll probably be running street tires at the track for at least another year or two, entirely too many expenses soon be had :wtc:

8. m3m750

The high wear is mostly from autox. I can rotate the Lotus pretty easily in tight turns, which is great for my times, but chews up the tires. I'm only on my second set of fronts.

Look around, I got the Team Dynamics wheels that the RA1 are mounted on for $350. They're used and have a couple of scuffs, but they aren't there to look pretty, they just need to hold the tires. Considering the set of RA1 cost me $300 less than a set of AD07s, it was a pretty easy decision.

9. MrBonus

MrBonus Et Tu, Brute?

Fuckin' sweet.