New Tacoma 4cyl

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by popsnbeer, Apr 9, 2008.

1. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

Any response from anyone. I am looking for a new truck w/ decent gas mileage that is reliable.

just a reg cab, 4cyl, 5 speed, 4x4.

What are your thoughts OT?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i had a 04 tacoma and the 3.4L v6 got the same mpg as the 2.7l i4... Its still a lot of weight in an un-aerodynamic package so you can either get the bigger engine and watch your right foot, or you can get the smaller engine and strain the engine every time the light turns green or you see a hill or you need to merge on the freeway.

I know the same was true when I was looking at chevys between the 5.3L and 4.8L.

I can only imagine the same is true with the 4.0L and 2.7L. Get the bigger engine and watch your right foot to keep mpg in check.

But, I don't think you can get a reg-cab in anything but the 4banger. I think you must go up to the ext cab to get the v6.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i just double-checked and toyota does not let you get a v6 in the reg cab, so if you're set on the reg cab you don't have a choice -- it's going to be a 4-banger.

you also are forced with the 5-speed manual.

If you "upgrade" to the extended cab you can get the 4.0L V6 with the 5-speed AUTOMATIC transmission or a 6-speed manual.

4. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

I guess Toyota does not get the sale.

I was considering the 4 banger b/c I want the reg. cab and they dont offer the V6 in the smaller truck.

Thanks for the response. I figure the 4 cyl got better mileage than that.

Looking at a $70 gas bill makes me start looking at alternative driving options.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the 4x2 2.4L will get the best mileage in the taco... but as soon as you get into the prerunner or 4x4 chassis you are stuck with the 2.7L, bigger tires, more weight, etc. In those scenarios I'd say get the V6. You also get better trannys with the v6.

6. Ingen

Ingen New Member

Mine's about 40 bucks to fill up from dead empty, and I've averaged something like 27/23 or so on it, and I do beat on it from time to time.

You DEFINITELY won't be seeing 30 though. And winter mileage (assuming you're in a state where sand-bagging is a must) takes a fucking nose-dive :hs:

And don't bother with 4wd unless you're actually gonna use it, that'll eat up your mileage.

But if you're in a warmer place, it's smooth sailing. Plus, they're really safe in accidents! I know.

7. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

27/23 aint so bad. What are the specs on your truck?

I am looking at a new truck for two reasons. Better gas mileage and 4wd. Although I know these do not go hand in hand, it is the justification for me to buy a new vehicle.

I go out to the lake a lot where the beach needs 4wd, and camping and other shit. My last vehicle was 4wd and I went to 2wd and I was pissed the first time I got stuck in the sand.

It's plenty warm here in Phoenix. No sand bagging is necessary except for the 3-4 trips up north in the winter.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I'd rather have a G8 ST and retrofit it with auto-adjusting air shocks in the back, if it doesn't come with them. All I'd ever use the thing for is carrying bricks and mulch and bikes, anyway.

9. Ingen

Ingen New Member

4-cyl, 4x2, 5-speed. Shift it below 2500 RPM for gas mileage, above 4k for MAD POWAH! :rofl:

I love the truck though. The 4wd might kill ya though :dunno: If you want 4wd with some mileage, you might look into an older taco (pre-2005 remake).

10. Ingen

Ingen New Member

Dude! That has, like, nothing at all to do with the thread.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I had a 3.4L v6 doublecab prerunner tacoma (2004) and my friend had the same truck except a 2.7L I4.... And I had waaay more power and the mileage was about the same (he did only 2mpg better, iirc).

12. Ingen

Ingen New Member

I would bet that that depends entirely on how you drive it. I drive like an old lady sometimes :o other times... I've seen 95 on the freeway in a pickup shaped like a fist with 159 horsepower :rofl: It rides ridiculously well though, I didn't even realize I was going so fast*. Great truck overall. What mileage was that that your friend was getting? The 2.7 sucks a dick when under significant load (for instance, hauling around the extra truck involved in a double cab) but if it were single cab, I'd guess his mileage would rape yours.

*not that fast, but fast for a 4banger pickup

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I would get 16/19mpg. He would get 17/21mpg. Considering that I felt safe merging onto the freeway and he didn't, well, that's enough for me to take the v6.

I also believe the v6 will be much less strained (while being more capable) and therefore will last longer than the over-worked I4.

14. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

the whole "feeling safe when merging" concept is so played out. I am yet to hear of anyone crash and burn because their car wasn't powerful enough to merge into a highway. Please...

15. Ingen

Ingen New Member

:werd: and of course the I4 is too little engine for a double cab, but in a single cab it does much much better.

Double cab: 4050 lbs.

Regular cab: 3150 lbs.

No shit, the I4 seemed overworked? :rofl:

edit: and the 4x4 reg cab DOES exist :noes:
    http://www.cars.com/go/crp/research...myid=9372&section=features&mode=&aff=national

16. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

The regular cab is pretty light compared to some 4cyl cars...

17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

sure, they just cause accidents with the people they cut off.

19. Ingen

Ingen New Member

I can hit 70 on the on-ramp without breaking a sweat, but that's because my truck is 1000 lbs lighter than the one you're comparing it to :big grin:

It really doesn't need the v6 (the reg cab, I mean).

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I maintain that it's silly NOT to get the v6. It's never been a bad idea to get the bigger motor.

21. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

Thats about what my Accord weighs and it accelerates fine with the 4cyl

22. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

with itty-bitty car tires.

My tacoma had P265/70R16 from the factory. It takes more to turn those.

23. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

No it doesn't. Bigger tires don't have to spin as fast to go the same speed as smaller tires. As such, they can install a lower final drive ratio to get the same acceleration. And I'm gonna guess that's exactly what they did, since the Tacoma probably isn't intended to have a higher top speed than an Accord.

EDIT: Well, there is the extra weight, but that's insignificant compared to the weight of the vehicle overall.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  24. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

both the v6 and i4 got 4.10 gears (assuming TRD Off-Road package)

and you're right that they don't have to spin as fast to go the same speed, but it takes much more effort to spin a bigger tire. Power loss due to increasing tire size are very well documented. People will re-gear to get their accelleration back at the sacrifice of fuel economy.

25. Ingen

Ingen New Member

True story, it's fun. But if it automatically increases the weight of the car by half a ton, it's not so worth it, IMO.

Shit, in my opinion, the reg cab taco should be available with the iforce v8 :drool:

I don't know what mine has because I'm way too lazy to go look at the spec on the tire, but I know for sure it's only on 15" wheels. Itty bitty car tires on non-TRD models? Check! lol.