New system build, anyone familiar with this case and have CPU cooling suggestions?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by emorphien, Mar 2, 2007.

1. emorphien

emorphien New Member

I've got all new parts on the way for a new build:

E6600
    Asus P5B-E
    4gb Corsair XMS2 DDR2-667 (4x1gb)
    160gb & 400gb
    Corsair 520HX PSU
    eVGA 7950GT (bought for $200 from a friend, I don't really game)
    Lian-Li PC-V1100BPlus II case

I'm sure someone will say I should get a better video card because it'll make a killer gaming system, but I couldn't care less. I am mainly interested in image processing (scientific) as well as photoshop and of course I multitask like a madman hence the system buildup and double the ram of my current systems. Relative silence is also a key point of interest for me.

I'm looking at CPU coolers, currently considering the Zalman 9500 and 9700. I don't need overkill, I want something good for keeping low temps with mild overclocks. From what I've read 3.0Ghz is a mild overclock for a lot of E6600s so if I take it that far, I take it that far. I'd rather something that uses a standard mounting system rather than mounting through the board since I've done that before with an SP-94 on an older P4 system but if I install it when I do the initial build it's no big deal. The scythe ninja also seems to be an option although fitting it on the P5B-E seems to be a worry.

The 9500 seems like enough for what I realistically need but are there any other suggestions? I've been out of the cooling gear for a while and am feeling perhaps a bit perplexed and overwhelmed. They've all gotten so big since I last cared! I've also considered staying with the stock cooler, I hear it's actually quite good and might be enough for what I'll be asking of it.

and yes... I'll be running Vista

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007