New Summer training log

Discussion in 'MMA Training Logs' started by Bausk, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Bausk

Bausk New Member

New training log

I deleted my old one, so I'm starting a new one. I just took a few weeks off while I was moving and working some overtime, but now I'm about 4 miles away from my gym! This Summer is going to be great for training.

I'm floating around 220 still, 6' tall. If I ever fight again I think it would be at 185 but I really don't have any drive to fight at the moment, just to train and have fun. I'm currently a 4 stripe white belt and I am skipping my testing this weekend because I haven't been rolling enough since my last test, I plan on testing for my blue in September after we are a part of Ricardo Murgel's association. I have been training grappling, BJJ, muay thai, and "MMA" for about 3 years (on an off).

http://www.maunlimited.com
    My current schedule. I'm hoping to be in the gym atleast 5 days a week this Summer.

Monday: Muay Thai, CSW
    Tuesday: Savate, BJJ
    Wednesday: Kettlebells, BJJ
    Thursday: Muay Thai, CSW
    Friday: BJJ
    Saturday: Kettlebells, Savate, BJJ
    Sunday: BJJ

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  2. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Tuesday BJJ

We have a "schedule" for what we will be drilling this month. June Schedule:

Mon 630 BJJ: Cross Body
    Mon 730 CSW: Mount
    Tue 730 BJJ: de la Riva Hooks
    Wed 630 BJJ: Turtle
    Thu 730 CSW: Quick Kills
    Fri 430 BJJ ITP: Butterfly Guard
    Sat 1100 BJJ: Back Control

Tuesday's De La Riva Guard Sweeps were something I've never really drilled, but I've been playing alot more open guard lately after drilling Spider Guard and rolling with some higher belts on Sundays so it's a welcome addition. We worked 2 sweeps to start and then a variation on the second. From DLRG and opposite sleeve control, get the long hook and bridge to extend and pull down into the sweep. Focus on a tight pass and attaining the underhook to complete the sweep. Second sweep was an option if the first sweep fails. Put your second foot inside your DLR hook on the same leg, switch sleeves controlled while rotating towards the back and taking belt or gi control and kicking them out to take their back. Next variation was a different version of the second sweep after off balancing with the first sweep, without the arm control.

Rounds were long rounds today with a fighter training for an event in two weeks. 7 minute rounds with another guy who is smaller (185+) but strong and has good technique. I'd never rolled with him so I was interested in seeing how I did. I controlled very well and moved between positions... until he kicked me in the face about 5 min in, lol. Big toe in the eye. I sat out a round then did a round with gloves on for the guy with the fight coming up.

I'm going to have to start coming on Fridays, because I really want to work Butterfly Guard drills. I've been playing with it ALOT in my rounds lately.

3. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

we just started doing De la riva guard as well and it's kinda awkward. I think it's gonna take some time for me to get used to it, it's just a weird position. I like that most dlrg sweeps can also be done while on the knees as well. Thats very useful.

4. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I guess I don't see how that would work at all, since the DLRG is all about the leg hooked. What do you mean on the knees?\

This is the sweep to back mount we did.
    [y]i7MkUAFl_bY&NR=1[/y]

goddamn youtube is awesome

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  5. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Two tourney's coming up I want to compete in.

Currently downloading:

Mario Sperry 6 Points, the Winning Strategy xvid.avi.torrent

Volume 6 - Points, the Winning Strategy
    Mario Sperry was quoted saying, "In Submission Grappling, understanding how to score points is 50% of the game". Mario Sperry has won three World Championships in submission grappling with his ability to understand the rules of his match and take advantage of them to win. This video is a step by step guide to understanding the rules of Submission Grappling and developing a game plan around them. Here, Mario will teach you the rules and the points and how to get them as the match goes on. Learn how some positions can be used to rack up big points against your opponent if he is too strong to submit in a match. If you plan on entering a competition, this may be your most valuable video ever.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  6. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Killer workout last night in Muay Thai and CSW. In Muay Thai we started with about 30-45 minutes of conditioning. Three conditioning stations, and each station is finished with 5-5-15-20-5 on the That pads twice. Do each station twice, no rest between stations (so a total of 12 reps on the Thai pads also).

(Repeat everything x2)

Wide Pullups
    Pushups
    Walking Lunges
    Hamstring Curls
    5-5-15-20-5 x2

Close grip Pullups
    Dips
    Single leg squats
    Medicine ball Deadlifts
    5-5-15-20-5 x2

Medicine ball passes
    Hip ups
    Medicine ball crossovers
    Medicine ball situps
    5-5-15-20-5 x2

(5 right kicks, 5 left kicks, 15 elbows, 20 skip knees, 5 right kicks = one rep)

After conditioning we sparred for about 35 minutes, maybe more. 10 2 minute rounds of light Muay Thai sparring. Mostly working on timing, but good contact with shin guards, boxing gloves, mouth pieces, etc. Then after our Muay Thai standup work, another 10 1-minute rounds of ONLY clinch sparring lightly. Working on entering the clinch, controlling, attacking, etc.

Then after sparring, more Muay Thai "Boxing" drills" for the seminar coming up. Working on 4 counts, 4 count bob and weave drills, hook defend and counter with uppercut series, etc. One 5 minute round each on the focus mitts.

Then in CSW we started off with some conditioning exercises before moving on to one of my favorite escapes from Mount. Bridge with your knee, then press up and spin into the heel hook. We drilled this ALOT and lightly sparred it with striking (MMA Training gloves). We drilled another sweep from open guard when the attacker tries to stand... hip bump up and ankle grab, into mount and either strike or armbar.

Then we did 6 2-minute rounds (no rest) of MMA isolation sparring from mount. Top person strikes from mount and tries for submissions, bottom tries to defend, strike back, and ultimately escape from mount to half guard, full reguard, etc.... NOT GIVING UP THE BACK. Since giving up your back is NOT an escape from mount. But you would never know that watching the UFC since 90% of fighters give up their back to escape from mount. :rofl:

After all that, I was done. Some other guys reviewed a bit for the BJJ testing this weekend, but it was quite enough for one night, for me. Back in tonight for more BJJ and Butterfly guard work.

[y]ahktYM6Q4sU[/y]

7. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Good afternoon of BJJ. Full hour of working Butterfly guard. Our warmups consisted of bridges, then moving into drilling movements for butterfly. Tuck a leg in on your control side (opposite of underhook) and roll over onto should wjile kicking up. Next variations were the same then after kicking up threading to kesa. Then we repped out butterfly rockbacks into a hip up ankle sweep back down to repeat the drill.

The first sweep we worked after warmups was the one we drilled. Underhook and control, tuck the leg and drop your head as a momentum build as you fall and kick up the sweep. After completing the sweep movement continue to kesa. Second sweep was basically an arm drag while in butterfly. To set up, first step outside while controlling the sleeve to make it easier to drag. Then perform the arm drag but don't pull them to you, pull yourself to them under while kicking or sliding your leg under to get a hook and take their back. Third was an arm drag again without going to the outside. After the movement, get your hips rotated and a "reverse" butterfly guard (if you turn right, your left leg is now under their left leg). You can have both legs under their (left) leg, or leave one outside and then fall back and to the side to sweep.

We did 4 3-minute rounds of butterfly guard isolation sparring, then I did 2 more regular 5-minute rounds. I got owned by a blue and a brown belt, then we worked on showing me to pass butterfly guard and then another version of a simple butterfly sweep. The pass was a regular butterfly pass (but not a regular hop over): control the pants at the knees while keeping your base down and back. Push down a knee while controlling the gi and pass to the side. The sweep was similar to others. Control a sleeve, tuck a leg, but then just thread the tucked leg through and kick the other leg up. It was quick and pretty sneaky, I'm going to remember that one for sparring tomorrow.

Tomorrow is kettlebells, savate, and bjj.

[y]rj7UixfB2BM[/y]

[y]42qPZUmGLMk[/y]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  8. Bausk

Bausk New Member

This week has seriously taken it's toll on me. I'm thinking about bitching out of kettlebells today, but I'm going for Savate and BJJ. BJJ should just be some review today since there is testing after.

9. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Good day of workouts. Lots of review in both savate and bjj. Bjj was focusing on back control, 2 chokes, 2 escapes.

10. Sammo

Sammo New Member

nice to see you back into action after your hiatus

do you still train with your wife?

11. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I've been training, just was annoyed with keeping a log for a while. She isn't training as much anymore (just some "cardio" kickboxing), but she was kickboxing this morning while I was grappling.

This morning's BJJ was only me and one other blue belt. The one who runs a BJJ program at the Highschool he teaches at. I swear he is Purple Belt level, really good. Good teacher too. We rolled a few nice and easy 10 minute rounds. He helped me work some technical aspects of passing the open guard the way we worked it this past week. Sitting back and controlling the gi legs, rather than just trying to muscle a leg down to pass, rock them back and then down again to use the momentum and go to the side you chose.

He pulled off the same arm drag while in guard twice, so he drilled that with me a bit. Arm drag across then overhook/lock it down. From there he worked an armbar or could easily work into the omoplata (unfortunately for me, he hit it all day, lol). One important technical piece was a slight movement that meant alot. If the arm doesn't get dragged all the way across or if they block it, just escape the hips slightly and finish the movement by putting yourself into the position instead of try to forceellu pull them to you. We also worked some high guard in this position, which is what we got to the armbar from.

I forgot it today, but I'm probably going to start bringing in my digital camera on Sunday mornings. There is usually just 2 or 3 of us rolling on Sunday so it's easy to set it up. Plus if there is 3 we can actually round robin, lol, a welcome rest.

12. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I forgot to add the half guard setup that we worked Sunday morning. It was from an instructional Kevin recommended so I'm going to look for it and work that today along with more of the arm drag from inside full guard.

edit: Robson Moura Fusion Vol 3 - Side Control

Today is Muay Thai plus CSW but I think I'm going to go to beginner BJJ instead of MT and just be on the mat for about 2.5 hours.

Weighed in at 218 after eating breakfast yesterday at the gym. Forgot to weigh myself today before breakfast. Feeling pretty good. My roll yesterday must have worked out some of the 'soreness'. Today my ass is sore, but that's from sitting on the hill at the Boston concert last night. :mamoru:

I want to get rid of my love handles. :wtc:

In other worthless news, I finally got my washer hooked up after moving, so I can wash my gi's! Thank god. I went through all 4 of my gi's last week and still had to wear 2 of them twice.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  13. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I'm thinking of doing a different tourney on July 12, depending on what the anticipated turnout of the local one is. If anyone in Indiana is going I might be there! Corral's Combat Classic at Indiana University Northwest (Gary, IN).

http://c3fighter.com

I need to drop to about 205 if I want to fight at Heavyweight, or about 196 if I want to try and make Medium Heavy for Gi and Light Heavy No-Gi. I'm still aiming for sub-200 but if I don't make it atleast I won't be in the Super Heavy Division either way.

14. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

Hmmmm... :thinking:

15. Bausk

Bausk New Member

BJJ tonight! More de la Riva Guard and other open guard. I want to ask my instructor how to combat someone trying to pass your open guard with good gi control, and I want to work on the arm drag in guard and side control techniques I've been learning this week while I do my sparring rounds.

16. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I got absolutely destroyed tonight.

Start of with talk about in advanced classes, rather than drilling movements, we will be drilling more combos to warm up. We can drill movements on the other beginner nights. Chris also said in the coming weeks we would be doing some "hard" things to each other to get us in the right frame of mind to be aggressive and in fight mode for comps, but "what happens with the fight team stays with the fight team". As in, don't do these nasty things to the noobs, it's more to build our mental toughness.

That said, on to the workout. Like I said, our drills on Tuesday and Thursday now will be combos, not movements. Tonight we did 5 (and repped them out):

Scissor sweep to cross choke from mount
    Scissor sweep to armbar in transition
    Scissor sweep fail (or fake) to armbar (in guard)
    Scissor sweep fail (or fake) to omoplata
    Scissor sweep fail (or fake) to sitting back cross collar choke

Then we sparred takedowns. Work for the takedown and achieve the position for points and control after takedown, OR submission if achieved in transition. Then reset standing. 4 3-minute rounds with 1 minute rest between each. Matt is a Judo guy, and going with him first KILLED me. But he also showed me a cool Judo trip. Collar control on their front side, push and step behind that front leg.

Then we sparred as if in competition. 4 3-minute rounds, fighting for every point or fighting to disallow any points if in a bad position. Basically sprinting rounds of grappling. I actually did better in my last rounds against some of the better competition just gutting it out... because I was fucking dead. Pulled off a couple sweeps and a mount in the final round.

Then we finished with more conditioning. 12 minute run around the gym. Every 2 minutes, 2 people were put onto the grappling dummies and did movements on the dummies for 2 minutes. Then they jumped back into the run. In the final 2 minutes of the run since everyone had spent their round on the dummies we did the back-to-front sprints (last person in line sprints to the front of the line, when they get there the new last person sprints to the front, repeat). Holy hell.

I made the mistake of thinking we were done, and someone said "2 more minutes", to which I responded "shit". Without skipping a beat another training partner yells "YOUR OPPONENT IS DOING 4 MORE MINUTES".

By the way, I am the only white belt training with the competition team. So I am on the bottom of the totem poll. No shortage of motivation here.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  17. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I'm actually not very tired/sore today. Not more than normal. I just look like a leopard, I can count 6 bruises on my right arm alone, lol. Tonight is Kettlebells then normal basic BJJ. I'm going to see about working outside the normal lesson on the things I wanted to work on last night (how to combat someone trying to pass your open guard with good gi control, and I want to work on the arm drag in guard and side control techniques), otherwise Wednesday should be Turtle work. Brabo choke ftw.

18. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

:h5: cool, man.

19. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Kettlebells SAPPED my energy tonight. I was cramping up all during BJJ. We reviewed some breakdowns from Turtle position, then I did a couple rounds. One decent round and then one with a guy who was there for the first time, so I showed him how to pass guard.

20. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I need to really stretch or something. I'm hoping I didn't strain/pull/whatever my calf, it's hurting pretty badly. I am taking tonight off though to go to my old house and finish moving some crap in the basement and clean. Then the gym will be closed for the weekend because of a seminar. I'm going tomorrow to pick up new bikes for the wife and I, and I have a bbq and all day volleyball on Saturday. So atleast I'll get my cardio workouts this weekend.

21. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

:eek3:

22. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I'm going to start riding to the gym as well. Maybe. If I can store my regular gear there. More cardio ftw.

Also, 215 this morning.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  23. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Good workout tonight. Submission drills to warm up, then we did our combo repetitions. Then we drilled falling/flying armbars. 2 versions regularly, then one with the inverted armbar.

3 3-minute rounds of takedown sparring. Then 3 3-minute rounds of passing the open guard isolation sparring. Then 10 minutes of running with 1 minute bursts on the training dummy.

24. Bausk

Bausk New Member

[y]IC3qZzaxTbQ[/y]

This is more or less the technique. This is the second variation. First variation the foot goes into the hip rather than to the side of the body. Third variation was the inverted armbar. Our technique was with the gi, with grips controlling the elbow and the inside collar. Couldn't find a video of it with the gi, everything was flying armbars... which we will be working next week.

Can also be done when starting from the knees, sitting, or open guard when using the elbow and collar grip. I want to drill it some more and try it out on some newer white belts. I tried it last night sparring with the blue belts and it actually didn't go too horribly. So I think with more drilling I could pull it off successfully in live sparring.

edit: here we go, video of exactly how we did the second variation

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/19297_advanced-sambo-sitting-bar.htm

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  25. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Tonight kicked serious fucking ass. Not necessarily because of any of the techniques, but because I really felt like I had a breakthrough with my BJJ.

Wednesday night, start with killer fucking Kettlebells. 20-15-10-5 ladder. Then in BJJ we start with our movement drills then get into our technique. This month is all turtle drills on Wednesday nights, so we reviewed more of what we did last week. Breakdowns from turtle, and we also added the clock choke and escapes from the clock choke. Wednesday is also only 1 hour, so we only had time for 1 round of rolling before the next classes started.

This is what kicked serious ass. I partnered up with a decent white belt. He is a little smaller than me, but I honestly think he is stronger and more athletic. He was working with the 44lb kb's tonight while I was struggling with the 35lb. I've rolled with him as recently as a month ago and he gave me bigtime trouble, and I wasn't able to submit him in 2 rounds. Tonight I don't know what possessed me. Straight of the bat (we start from the knees) I went but scoot and played open guard, and hit the inverted falling armbar that we drilled last night (but from standing last night). Then I hit the arm drag in guard into another inverted armbar. I hit 2 more armbars before the 4 minute round was up.

It's a big deal to me to have my way with someone that gave me so much trouble as little as a month ago. During the first armbar I even let up a bit and gave him position to take back, and he piped "you're not giving up on me are you?". Heh. I responded "I guess I didn't want to be mean". Then hit 3 more. It really fucking excites me because these are the things I've been working on with the higher belts the extra days I have been coming in. I've been rolling with all higher belts the last month, and when I finally go back to rolling with someone I would consider my own level my work is paying off. I've never really had this much of a payout from my hard work on the mat, and it's really really nice to see results.

It's as if Crowbar himself was moving my hips. :bowdown: