New suit, need tailoring?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by interstate76, Oct 16, 2009.

1. interstate76

interstate76 New Member

Hey all, I just bought a suit (Perry Ellis) and while the quality is pretty good for the price, the suit fits more like a fat man suit than a trim, slim fitting suit. The picture on the website looks pretty much how I want it to fit, but it doesn't quite fit that way. It's mostly the pants.. They're too baggy especially in the upper leg/ass area.

When getting a new suit (without paying a fortune, or going into a B&M store) do you typically need to have it tailored to ensure a good fit? I can't afford expensive suits, since I rarely wear them and I'm a part time worker, going to college. I just want it to fit well (like the pic on the website) and fit my body (slim/athletic and tall).

I have a fairly similar build to the guy in the pic. You'll need to click on the pic and view the full body shots in the viewer when it loads.

I tried posting a link, but it doesn't want to let me. If you go to perryellis.com and find the Classic Fit suits, that's what I'm talking about. I have the grey one. It should be the first one listed on the suits page. There's also a "On Sale" link on the front page that would take you there.

Thanks for any help/advice.

2. bawlinmo

bawlinmo Neighborhood Graphic Designer

As a broke college student, I always choose to buy cheaper suits and spend money on tailoring them rather than expensive suits worn as is. The fit matters more than the brand at this point in my life, and I'm lean and fit enough that a good fit will make a Target suit look like Armani... not really, but it's still good...

3. interstate76

interstate76 New Member

How much does a typical tailoring job cost? Just a ballpark estimate would be cool.. I've never had to deal with this before, I'd just like it to fit well.

4. digital

digital original

Maybe like 100 dollars? depends on how much needs to be done and who the tailor is.

First make sure you bought the right size. It needs to fit perfectly in the shoulders. Make sure its the right length too, arms straight down, cup hands...bottom of jacket should be right there. If the jacket is sized correctly, a tailor can get it to look much better.

As for the pants, you usually just adjust the waist, the break (length), and cuff. after the tailor fixes the waist, it should look better.

5. Gomer

Gomer New Member

I spent $120 on tailoring for my last suit, but that was taking in the sides, sleeves, reshaping the legs a little bit and getting the pant the right length. Best money you'll spend on a suit, fits stellar and girls love it.