COMIC new subscription

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by think, Jan 21, 2008.

1. think

think Champion of the sun

So my girl wants to buy me a new subscription to a Comic for my birthday. I kind of want to jump into a new series that i havent ever had before. Any of you guys have any tips on which one would be easy to jump right into the story plot without any previous knowledge about the story? any suggestions would be great

2. Hiero

Hiero New Member

That might be a bit difficult.

3. Nader_D

Nader_D HAHAHEHHUH ---- POOOHhHhHHCHhh! OT Supporter

you can jump into any series you want..depends if you wanna know the backstory or not.

4. axio

axio New Member

Even though it sucks now, Spider-Man is probably your best bet. They just rebooted it so everything is sorta up in the air.

5. think

aright yea i was sort of thinking grabbing the new spiderman since brand new day i heard was a complete overhaul. Any ideas other than spiderman? and getting to know the backround would be kind of nice if theres one like that

6. Hiero

Hiero New Member

Reading Daredevil 103 and it seems like a decent starting point with a short summary of what's happened so far. All you gotta do is know DD's origin and you're done.

7. DoctorDoom

DoctorDoom Doom always keeps his word. OT Supporter

Even though it doesn't really matter, is the subscription by mail or one where you'll regularly go to a comic shop?

Though you'd really need to read all the back issues (about to hit 68, but most of it is in trades) to get the full effect, I'd say Fables. You're girlfriend would probably like it too.

Otherwise, I'd say Amazing Spider-Man. I'd also say Invincible from Image comics. It's going to hit 50 in a few months, and it should be easier for a new reader after that issue because the status quo is apparently going to change.

8. Mr Coffee

Mr Coffee New Member

Well, yeah, Spiderman like my brothers-in-geekdom have said. Invisible too, always been easy if you ask me. Atomic Robo recently started, really good.
    I'd also suggest Immortal Iron-Fist. You may have to buy a few issues back, but since it's Marvel they do re-caps. They've done quite a good job on that character and he's definitly top tier for me now.

Only other one i can thinkg of would be the Ultimate line. Not Ultimate Spiderman or X-Men, because although they've got a fresh new start you'd have to read up on it a bit more. FF are getting into a new arc, and thankfully it's easy to jump in on that. The Ultimates (read; Avengers) just launched too, albeit they are referencing a lot of stuff from earlier series.

9. think

as of now im leaning towards jumping into amazing spiderman. Daredevil doesnt sound to bad either. and i used to read ultimate spiderman so i may consider that one and just pick off where i left of by buying a few issues back. so those are probably the top 3 right now. any more ideas?

10. Nader_D

Nader_D HAHAHEHHUH ---- POOOHhHhHHCHhh! OT Supporter

there are so many other good series you should read...but itd be stupid to jump into some of them at this point.

id say go with amazing spiderman or that brave new world spiderman

11. think

isnt it brand new day? and i thought that was just the new part of amazing spiderman

12. DoctorDoom

Yup, Brand New Day, and yes it's the new part, or story title rather, of Amazing Spider-Man.

13. think

aright yea thats what i thought. I was looking at that and have a question. since their doing the three issues per month push, do you need to constantly renew subscriptions now after like 3 months or so?

14. DoctorDoom

Good question. They've never done this before so I'm not sure. The little copyright info/subscription info at the bottom of the comic says the subscriber rate is 12 issues for $27.00....so I assume yes, you renew every 4 months. You could probably ask them as well at [email protected].

15. think

i think thats kind of lame for marvel to do. they should just keep it at yearly subscriptions or something so that people arnt forced into renewing so often. i dont think i can convince the girl to buy me subscription after subscription

16. DoctorDoom

True, but it wouldn't hurt to ask Marvel if that's the actual policy. Maybe you could ask her for a trade paperback?

17. think

yea ill send in that question to marvel. what do you mean paperback trade?

18. DoctorDoom

They're not a subscription, but they're a bounded collection of previous issues. Every 6-12 issues, give or take depending on the popularity of the stories, Marvel will collect them all as one big book. You'll find them at any comic shop, or even amazon.com.

19. think

oo yea those are how i got so far into ultimate spiderman. i had a whole group of the collections so i got through about 80+ issues