New sub

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ldaggerl, Apr 26, 2010.

1. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

Well I had 2 kicker comp 10" subs and one of them just died. I started to look for new subs and so far I found 2 12's of the same sub at $150 and I loved these but then I started to look at 1 15". I've been looking at a alpine type r dual voice coil. I have this amp http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113XXV03A/Kenwood-25th-Anniversary-XXV-03A.html?tp=115 and it works pretty well honestly. As for what music I listen to I honestly listen to everything. Rap, rock, country, ect ect. I thought about 2 12's and honestly they are all expensive for the ones I'd want. I'm looking to spend about $200. Whats the best sub for the job?

2. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

3. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

2 10s is probably going to sound a lot different than 1 15". A couple years ago I had a JL 15W0. It was in a homemade huge sealed box made to spec and it sounded awesome for all types of music. To this day I don't know that I have heard a 15 hit as tight and accurate as that sub.

4. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

Why not an type r? The one you linked me to I've never even heard of. I'd probably really want to buy something name brand thats got a good reputation.

I'm not to worried about whats its going to sound like as I just want more bass. The 10's are nice don't get me wrong but they get to a point where they just don't hit anymore. I'm not a super sub guru or anything. I go by what I can hear. Plus part of the appeal of 1 15 is just that its a huge sub. I don't hear to many people saying they have them and wouldn't mind having on. If I really don't like it I can always sell it. I plan to build a new box as the one I have is a generic one and would like to throw more of a custom box in there.

5. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

there's nothing wrong with it, i was just saying if you don't get it... here's another solid choice.

6. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

Ohhh ok. Thanks thats cool.

7. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Teleca Q7; Brew 3.1.5; U; en) 480X800 LGE VX11000)

Kicker was good. Consider something else now as their quality has droped since. two is better than one always in terms of air flow.

8. Original

Original OT Supporter

cone area is bigger for the 15 compared to the two 10s so it should bump damn well with the same power

almost pulled the trigger on a Type R since i've had those before.. but just ordered a 15" Diamond sub yesterday to see how it performs :coolugh:

9. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

Nice, yeah I'm still so un certain as to what I want. I've done research and I'm still lost lol. I'm sure I'll be happy not matter what I do but I don't know what is quality and whats not. I mean like I can get 2 12" subs for $200 or 1 12" or 1 15" or what have you. I'm trying to see whats best and I really don't think my amp is going to be over run with the power of subs in the price range.

10. Original

Original OT Supporter

didn't look at your amp before, shit it's powerful :hs:

with that much power, two 12's would pound.. or you could always safely push a 15 to 750+rms and that would bump hard too.

I would suggest going into a car audio shop and listening to some subs. Bigger is usually better.. though even some really high end 8's can outperform a low end 15.

11. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

Yeah I love the amp, I thought my amp was bad at first because when I turned up the music the amp would through an error. Finally after unhooking one sub it worked fine. I was looking at amps and was like, "shit!, anything to mine is like $500 FUCK!!!!" lol.

12. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

You know adding or subtracting a sub changes the impedance right? Ib you had it wired up at 1ohm, and taking the one sub out changed impedance to 2ohm (something like that).