New stuff to try, including a Cyclo dual head polisher...and no good weather. :wtc:

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Scottwax, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

...and rain is in the forecast every day between now and Tuesday. :(

I have two Optimum products, the polish and the car wax, Hi-temps light cut and I am borrowing a Cyclo from an Autopian (who will remain nameless lest he be bombarded with requests from others to lend his machine out). I also got some of the Cyclo green polishing pads from Top of the Line...and huge props to them for getting the order out so quickly. I ordered the pads Tuesday afternoon and they were here Thursday afternoon!

Anway, I have the Cyclo for about a month so I hope to give it a good workout. If my first impressions of the quality of this machine mean anything, it appears to be very well built and solid. It also seems to transmit less vibration to my hands and doesn't bog down under pressure as quick as my PC. Did a great job on the top of my dryer and it definitely generates heat. Maybe not as much as a rotary, but noticably more than the PC.

Once the weather is better, I will be putting everything to the test and report back. :)

2. Scottwax

Okay, back from polishing out my car with the cyclo. Probably finished just in time for my car to get rained on.

I used the Optimum Polish with the green polishing pads first. I talked to Anthony Orosco (from Autopia) and he says it never really breaks down and dusts like most polishes and he was right. I just worked each section for a minute or so, the pads were warm but still slightly damp from the product. It leaves the paint very shiny and mirror-like. Not quite as wet as #80 but more reflective.

I followed with 3Ms Perfect It III Finishing Glaze (European version I got from jgv-again from Autopia-one of the Portuguese members-a while back), again using green polishing pads. This stuff definitely has a deep, wet look. Added noticable depth and wetness without muting the reflections noticably.

I used Optimum's Car Wax as my LSP. Seemed a bit odd using what works just like a QD as a wax, but I will take Anthony's word it is pretty durable. I put OCW into a spray bottle that mists out the product. I noticed you do have to shake the bottle of OCW occasionally because it will separate into a milky liquid on the bottom and a clearer looking liquid on top. You just mist it on a section at a time, spread with a micrfiber towel and then flip the towel and wipe dry. This stuff is pretty dang slick too. Maybe not as slick as Wolfgang or UPP, but not far behind. It also leaves a shiny, deep, wet finish. Very nice. More carnauba like than sealant, IMO.

My impressions of the cyclo:

This is a very well balanced machine. Vibrations are less than the PC but still noticable. On flat panels, it is a breeze to use, covers more area than a PC. It also does not bog down as quickly when you add pressure and the pads and paint become noticably warm when you work a polish into the paint. On curved areas, of which my 626 has many, you have to change the angle of the cyclo to keep both pads on the paint. Not that it is difficult, just a little awkward at first.

I lost the sun to the clouds about halfway through, so I can't tell for sure if the very minor spider swirls are gone but I know the PC takes care of stuff that mild so I figure the cyclo will too.

All in all, it seems like a very nice machine. I have a few more weeks with it and hopefully the weather will cooperate so I can test it out more.

3. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

Awesome write up! I'm deciding between a rotary and a Cyclo for my winter purchase so that I have a few months worth of practice on my scrap rear end. Do you think that the Cyclo is capable of doing the same kind of paint correction as a rotary?

4. Scottwax

I talked to Anthony Orosco and he is going to be testing some new pads for the Cyclo that will enable it to correct paint about as well as a rotary, just not quite as fast.

BTW, the cyclo with the green polishing pad and some #80 did an amazing job on my brother's Expidition. It is a 1997 and I have waxed it maybe 2-3 times since he got it, otherwise it goes through the local tunnel car wash maybe once a month. Lots of fine scratches and spider swirls. I only did the tailgate and the right rear quarter, but the improvement was huge.

5. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

Hmm, I would have used a familiar product with it first for simple comparison purposes (for the polish and the cycle) but since you have it for a month I'm sure you'll use it with some polishes that you have used by hand/pc (and the optimum polish by PC and hand as well).

One question, the optimum wax--you mean the spray wax? Let me know how it works. I'm thinking about getting it to put over #16 just to keep it fresh. :)

6. joed1228

joed1228 New Member

Oh wow Scott, I thought you would of been all over the Clyco back in the day.

Post the info about the pads, I'm interested.