GUN New Storm case for traveling...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by cabriolet, Jul 9, 2008.

1. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

Have a pelican set up for the XD for traveling, but decided to get a new case for the glocks to travel with.

Didn't realize I'd ordered it with pick and pluck, I wanted solid foam, but whatever I went ahead and plucked it out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ghostrider4450

Ghostrider4450 New Member

Very nice, I have a large Storm Case and it takes quite the beating when I fly with it. Its nice to know your firearms are well protected though.

3. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

If I had to move my guns, I'd UPS Red them rather than check them in. Baggage handlers don't make much and seeing a nice hard case like a Pelican or Storm means one of two things: expensive electronics or guns, both of which are profitable to steal.

4. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

What is this UPS Red that you speak of?

5. THT

Next Day Air by 10am. Leave your locks on and send it. Cost me $200 to send my Pelican 1750 w/ AR, USPc, and G21 with three mags for each to Phoenix from Illinois but at least it arrived. I've talked to a few Chicago PD guys who patrol ORD and they say they wouldn't even check their duty weapons let alone personal ones.

6. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

They won't steal a gun that is checked in seperately, that'd get the FBI and ATF involved. If you put the case in a suitcase and check the suit case in, it'll disappear.

But the truth of it is, the majority of baggage handlers AND box movers are all shit bags. I've known several people that worked for the local UPS warehouse, and I've heard some stories about stuff disappearing, breaking, pissing, throwing, etc, etc. The only way to garuantee it gets there is to take it yourself, but that's not a luxury when you're traveling 1,000+ miles most of the time.

Plus I think that bags are insured for $2500 on airlines, so if it does disappear just get the ATF and FBI involved, and then file a claim and get new gun(s).

And, actually, Traveling with a gun actually saved my luggage from being lost forever, when I just threatened to get the ATF involved.

7. THT

When it's moving at the pace that Red service requires, it's very difficult to steal. And while the Feds may get involved, the likelihood of recovering the guns or catching the dirtbags is ridiculously small due to the relatively small nature of the crime warranting maybe one agent's attention part time.

8. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

Do what I do. Drive. :big grin:

9. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

If you ship your guns UPS next day air spring for $200 worth of insurance. It'll cost you like $16 IIRC. If you insure $200 value or more then the item gets check as "High Value"

What this means is it gets bagged in a opaqe bag and gets sealed with a numbered zip tie that is recorded. A clerk takes the high value item to a locked high value "cage". It waits until the appropriate sort. Then a clerk retieves the item and watches as it loaded for transport. It is documented where the item is loaded. When it arrirves at each destination a clerk retrives the package, checks it and locks it. Basicly there is somebody responsable the entire way to make sure the high value item is there and it gets recorded at each step. Loss prevention also moniters the package but I cannot state what they do as I signed a Non disclosure agreement when I was a next day air supervisor beck in my college days. You can be confident that if you insure at least $200 value there is no chance your stuff if getting lost or stolen unless a plane crashes or similar disaster.

10. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

I would, I prefer driving. However time isn't feasible when you're traveling literally cross country from the SW to NE.

11. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

Very nice. I would have turned the guns the other way, but that's just me.

12. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

Good call, I probably should have, didn't think about that. It's not glued down yet, I may just love it around since it's symmetrical.

13. johnson

johnson New Member

And more mags.

14. itchiban

itchiban New Member

Looks really good. :cool:

15. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

what's the dimensions? how much?

16. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

first thought was that you had the guns pointing the wrong way. Nothing like opening a briefcase to two guns pointed right at you... This also keeps muzzle down if you decide to carry with both of them loaded.

17. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

Inside dimensions - 18.2x12.1x5.2in

I'll never carry the guns loaded in there, as the only time I will carry the guns in there is on an airplane, which they have to be unloaded. However I did flip the foam around a while back.

18. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

So if im reading this right, you get the same amount of security for $200 of insurance as you do with $1000?

19. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

Really.....?!? I've flown like this a bunch of times without any issues. A training partner of mine flys almost weekly without incident as well.