New Speakers and 4-channel amp for my 97 Chrystler Concorde LX

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by M1SHKA, Jul 15, 2005.

1. M1SHKA

M1SHKA Guest

Hey guys, I'm new here at OT forum. But I had a quick questions for all you ppl who are good w/ car audio or have had some experience with it. I have 97 Chrystler Concorde LX and when i bought the car all the speakers were blown except the front panel speakers. So I already bought a really nice Panasonic head unit. And now i finally saved up and i bought new speakers and a 4-channel amp for my car. My car has 6x9 in the back, 6.5 in the doors, and 3.5 in the front panel , and im replacing all 6 speakers. So last night I finally bought the 6x9's and 6.5's off ebay, and that saved me a ton of money than if i bought them retail. I'm going to link you guys to what I bought and i'd would like to hear what you guys think about the speakers and amp i ordered or any other advice. Also to avoid outrageous installation fees, my buddy and I are going to try to install everything ourselves.
    6x9 : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7986602493&category=38646&rd=1
    6.5: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7985686309&category=38646&rd=1
    4-channel amp for the 6x9 and 6.5:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...8210151&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW#ebayphotohosting
    1800 watt 8 Gauge Amp install kit: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5789023107&category=71529&rd=1
    and the 3.5 i plan to get are probably these (haven't ordered these yet):
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5788913177&category=14937&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1
    For all of this excluding the 3.5's, my total ended being $405.77

thanks for all the help in advance, and let me know what's up guys..

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

wow, please don't do that. Stick with a 6.5" component up front, and forget the rest of the speakers.

3. M1SHKA

M1SHKA Guest

hmmm, that's what 1 of the salesman told me on the phone... but how come? what makes a 6.5 component up in the front better than the 6x9s in the back, 6.5's in the doors and 3.5's in the front? Hopefully I can get more responses and critiques as to what I ordered? Also would you guys say it's difficult to install the stuff i got into my car manually (me and my buddy; i know nothing; and my friend says it shouldn't be too hard)???????

4. M1SHKA

M1SHKA Guest

also more responses on the quality of the stuff I bought (amp and speakers)...

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the amp you got is okay. All the speakers you bought are crap. i'd re-sell them... Look at a nice component set, such as a CDT CL-61 (do not get the 61a). There are many reasons why a great 6.5" component is better than your setup. Here are the two most important, imo:

1) cone size/area. Obviously, a 6.5" has more cone area than a 3.5". Therefore, they are louder at a given power level than the smaller speaker. Furthermore, a round speaker is going to produce sound much more acuarately than an oblong, or other odd-shape.

2) image. Music is recorded in 2 channels... Left and Right. There is no rear. The problem with car audio is that you're stuck in a very small cabin. Sound is going to bounce off of walls and objects, and your "image" can get messy. Front and rears will hit the listener differently. Some head units (not stock ones, of course) offer time-alignment to minimuze this effect -- but even then, most enthusiasts will recommend a really good front-stage over okay front/rears.

6. M1SHKA

M1SHKA Guest

jollyogre

ok thnx for your response and any other ones would also be much appreciated....
    what you said tho, is somewhat similar to what circuit city representative told me...
    but it's kind of discouraging =( , cuz the only speakers that work currently are my front panel ones, and the guy who installed my head unit said any new speaker will be WAYY better than what u have now... But I figured pioneer makes pretty good speakers and its a good brand speaker for the value... I mean just the 2 pairs of speakers I bought off ebay (6x9 + 6.5's) and the amp... i got for a total of 405.77 and that was off ebay, it would probably retail a lot more! The amp i'm guessing is a very high quality amp, but like i said this is my first time dealing with speakers and amps, etc. I mean, yea it's not going to be TOP OF THE LINE speakers and amp, but do u guys think there's anything positive or good about the system i bought for the money im spending. I also know im a little late asking for advice, cuz im obviously not planning on reselling what i ordered, cuz it's already on it's way and i just dont want to go through the hassle.... But i would really like to hear more feedback from ppl who are knowledgable about this...... I mean if pioneer speakers aren't that great or if the amp i got is OK??? then recomment a brand of speakers and good amp that i can get for around a total of 500???

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Those speakers are about $40-50 a pair at walmart, btw.

Well. if you've already spent $400... Then that only leaves you $100 left. Honestly, I'd keep the amp you bought, ditch the speakers (sell em) And pickup some CDT components for the front. Prolly run you $200.

8. DaddyThirdLeg

DaddyThirdLeg SMASH puny humans

no chance in hell could you find premier speakers at walmart, those 6x9's maybe, either way I would forget about the 3.5's install the amp and the 4 speakers you got, unless you guys royaly fuck up the install, it will sound 10x better then what you got right now

If you feel like doing the extra work (selling these, buying the CDT's and the extra install work) it would be worth it but they will be less forgiving to a shitty install

9. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

just put your stuff in, since you already have it. it's pretty decent equipment and since you got some decent deals, i would use what you have. oh yeah, and just unhook the 3.5s after installing everything if it sounds good enough to you. remember car audio is what sounds best to you, not everyone else!