New speaker help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by amill94, Oct 1, 2006.

1. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

I'm going to be purchasing some new speakers in the next month or so to replace my current ones. I'm actually going to replace my entire 5.1 speaker setup but want to start with the fronts. What is everyone's opinon or mirage? Specifically the OM Design series. I really like the OMD-28's.
    [​IMG]

I have an oppurtunity to get these speakers for roughly 70% off retail price...so that would put them around $2,250 for the pair. Noone around here has a pair I can listen too and before putting out that kind of cash for them I'd like to get some info if anyone has some. I was on avsforum and found one post refering to them.

I've also listened to some Vienna Acousitcs..mainly the Mozart Grands. These things sound awesome without a sub...they go down pretty low and have a nice sound to them.
    http://www.sumikoaudio.net/va/prod_mozart.htm

I would have to pay near the full price for these. So basically I'm looking to spend around 2500 or so on the fronts. I'm assuming the mirage's are going to be better. The mirages, when comparing tech data, look better on paper.

Also, for now the speakers will be powered by my Denon AVR-3805 receiver. I will upgrade to a rotel or mabye mcintosh amplifier down the road.

Lastly, what subwoofer would you guys recommend with these speakers. Vienna Acoustics paired their's with a "Rell"(sp) sub which sounded awesome. It went down to 16hz according to their rep. I also listened to some Martin Logan subs which sounded good aswell.

Anyway, just looking for some guidance. It's hard to find any answers at the local places here since I cant really find any of the product lines there.

2. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic One Nation Under A Groove

I'd take the vienna's. I don't have a ton of experience with Mirarge products (I haven't used that exact model), but the ones I have used have not terribly impressed me. On the other hand, I have used a fair amount of Vienna speakers, including the Mozart Grand's, and I've always liked them. They're also just flat out gorgeous speakers in person.

3. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

The Vienna's sounded really good. I would like to here the mirages, but like I said can't find any local places with the om series. The Rosewod finish on the Viennas is amazing too.

4. Harry V. Gina

Harry V. Gina How did your family do in Katrina?

Here's a review from a guy who recently purchased OMD-28's:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=721369

I've not heard them myself, but they are probably worth taking a chance on considering the price you could get them for.

Vienna is nothing special, imo, and I used to sell them. They look gorgeous, but are often poorly engineered and are very colored sounding. If you like a "warm" sound then they might be for you.

Yeah right. It'll play 16hz...at 60db. :rolleyes: Actually, REL's are nice music subs, but I would recommend the Velodyne DD series if you want something that sounds nice with music and has power for movies. The Martin Logans are good, too. The new JL audio home subs look very promising.

http://home.jlaudio.com/

5. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

That link is the one I looked at on avsforum. He seemed to like them, but I'd still like to listen to them. So you're not a fan of Vienna's? It was the first time I have heard them and they sounded decent to me, but again, I'd think...by simply comparing price, that the mirages would be better. I'll look into the Velodyne subs. A buddy of mine has a velodyne sub..I think its a 10 inch and it sounds amazing...it's very small form factor too. He has it setup with Boston Acoustic VRM-90's and they go together very well.

6. Ronin

Ronin Guest

also check out paradigm reference studio 100s, totem acoustic forests, B&W 703s, or proac 130/140 if you can find them.