New soundcard and sub!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by P07r0457, Feb 11, 2007.

1. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

My SoundBlaster Extigy wasn't cutting it so I decided to upgrade a little bit.

I bought an Alesis iO|26. It's firewire and supports 8 balanced analog, 18 digital inputs, 10 balanced outputs, plus two headphones -- plus its expandable. Sound quality so far is great.

I also bought a KRK RokIt 10 sub to compliment my pair of Yamaha HS50M monitors.

Very happy with the result. I'm messing around with the mixing capabilities. I must say that firewire is definitely the way to go! And 192kHz ftmfw.

I like the capabilities I have running the sub off seperate outputs than the mains. More control for crossovers and gains.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

3. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Give me a rundown on how that is routed.
    Is the sub running off of balanced inputs?
    Alesis ftmfw, btw.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Took me a while to figure it out. I bought the gear at Guitar Center and the pro-audio guy that worked with me was mostly right, but he was off in a few areas so I had to fill in the blanks.

ALL connections that can be balanced are balanced. The only unbalanced connection is from my guitar and for my headphones -- and that's out of necessity because those devices can't be balanced.

Basically, here's how it's routed:

All outputs are assignable, so I get lots of granularity with how I control it:

Outputs:
    1: Balanced TRS 1/4" Left Channel for computer output
    2: Balanced TRS 1/4" Right Channel for computer output
    3: Balanced TRS 1/4" Left Channel for monitor input
    4: Balanced TRS 1/4" Right Channel for monitor input
    5: Balanced TRS 1/4" Left Channel for subwoofer input
    6: Balanced TRS 1/4" Right Channel for subwoofer input
    7: Balanced TRS 1/4" Left Channel for surround input
    8: Balanced TRS 1/4" Right Channel for surround input
    9: Unbalanced TRS 1/4" Left/Right for headphones #1 output
    10: Unbalanced TRS 1/4" Left/Right for headphones #2 output

Inputs:
    1: Unbalanced TS 1/4" Mono for guitar input
    2: Unused
    3: Balanced XLR Left Channel for analog mixer input
    4: Balanced XLR Right Channel for analog mixer input
    5: Balanced TRS 1/4" Left Channel for computer input
    6: Balanced TRS 1/4" Right Channel for computer input
    7: Balanced TRS 1/4" Left Channel for surround input
    8: Balanced TRS 1/4" Right Channel for surround input

Output 1&2 (White/Red) are routed to Input 5&6 with Input 1 assigned to both Output 1&2
    Output 7&8 (Blue/Yellow) are routed to Input 7&8 for recording purposes (I currently don't have rear surround speakers, but still want to be able to mix and record true surround mixes)
    Output 3&4 (Green/Orange) are routed to my studio monitors with Input 5 faded Left 100% assigned to Output 3 and Input 6 faded Right 100% assigned to Output 4
    Output 5&6 (Black/Grey) are routed to my subwoofer with Input 5 faded Left 100% assigned to Output 5 and Input 6 faded Right 100% assigned to Output 6

This allows me complete fader/gain/volume/crossover/effect/insert control for ALL sources independently. It also allows me to mix a FULL 8 channels simultaneously at 192kHz for true surround sound.

I like the control of having independent crossovers for the monitors and sub... And I can level control each channel independently.

Currently I'm using Balanced XLR for the analog mixer... But I may step it up to something like a Mackie Onyx and use the ADAT to get full digital integration, and have further control through the firewire interface (the iO26 will bring all ADAT channels independently to the system for independent recording of all channels, simultaneously) Unfortunatly, ADAT is limited to 48kHz.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I originally was going to get an MAudio but ended up with the Alesis. Driver-wise, the Alesis was much easier than MAudio typically is. Sound wise, the Alesis is transparent. I think I have a new favorite!

6. Zeromancer

Zeromancer Pampita's Love Slave

price on that alesis?

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

MSRP is $599.99
    Found it online for $399.99
    Got it local for $301.66
    Plus discounts on other crap, too :naughty:

[​IMG]

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I was having some major problems with the drivers (wouldn't hold settings after reboot -- which is a big fucking deal when everything is a digital "virtual" settings and nothing is physical) and the unit was having lock-up issues which required unplugging and re-plugging the firewire cable.

I decided to return the Alesis unit, as well as the Hosa/Livewire TRS Snake.

I have replaced it with a M-Audio FireWire 410. Right out of the box, I can say the M-Audio unit isn't quite as well-built physically. The rear TRS jacks are not anchored to the chassis. That makes them a weak point if a cable gets pulled. The knobs are also plastic. However, that's where the problems stop. The unit plugs in and works right of the bat. Driver's installed without a hitch. The software is 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 better. Before, with the Alesis, I needed to route outputs 1-2 back as inputs and do my mixing that way. This is problematic because I'm doing a digital-analog conversion, and mixing on the analog mix. It also ran the signal through way too many connectors. The M-Audio unit actually works the way it should... Digital signals can be mixed without having to be routed into analog inputs. And my connectors have dropped to just one cable per speaker -- instead of three. I also decided to upgrade from the cheap Hosa/Livewire Snake and went with some Monster Cable TRS>XLR Studio cables. Overall, I'm much happier with this setup. Time will tell for sure.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Ronin

Ronin Guest

sounds good dude

10. Doc Brown

I wonder if the driver issue is why the Alesis firewire decks are being discounted so heavily.

Since I saw this thread, I've been checking out the Alesis Multi-Mix 12.
    It's an analog 12 channel mixer, with firewire output. Looks sweet as a playboy bunny's ass.
    List price is $700 and Musicians Friend has them for $300.
    Looks like a good deck too. 4 x mic inputs, 3 band eq per channel, 100 x 28 bit effects.
    The only thing that I don't likeis that it uses 8 faders for 12 tracks.

But if they aren't running right, then it's still not worth the money.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I think Alesis is making a good product, but the driver's are not even close to production. Once they fix that, the hardware is ready, imo.

However, the 8fader 12-track is common. Realistically, people using this type of hardware have several stereo sources... So a single fader makes sense.

As for problems with the M-Audio, it's very stable. However, it makes an annoying 0dB "pop" on start-up and shut-down.

12. Doc Brown

The doubling up of faders has always annoyed me. That's why I still have my old Akai DPS-12. 12 tracks. 12 faders. If it had firewire, I wouldn't even think about upgrading.
    But it's a pain in the ass to get the 12 tracks to my pc.
    I have to burn them to a cd. Then I have to load the cd to my pc and access it using Nero, which I then convert to wav files.
    Then I transfer them to Adobe Audition 1.5, where I can finally use digital effects.
    At this point, I just want to run straight into the pc.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Yea. I'm considering a Yamaha or Mackie mixer. The Mackie is more $$$ but I know they're worth their price tag.

Does your Akai have lightpipe? If so, you can get a lightpipe firewire bridge and get all 12 tracks into your pc.

14. Doc Brown

No, besides it's Akai's proprietary sofware. The program I use to convert was
    custom written by some guy for the DPS-12 and DPS16 decks.
    It's called "deepstripper".

The only outs are stereo. SPDIF,master out/analog, aux send.
    And it's a scsi deck, so it has the 50 pin narrow scsi out.
    That's how i'm able to export to the Plextor scsi burner.