New Sound Card Suggestions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Zak8022, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

I need something to replace my old shitty Soundblaster. Not looking to spend much, probably <$50. The only requirements are having a digital-out, since my speakers need that, which are 4.1, so i'd need something capable of supporting that.

I had looked at this one last night...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102002

I would love to not get a Creative card, but it seems most of the others like M-Audio, etc are more higher end, which isnt my intention with this purchase. Thoughts and suggestions welcome, thanks in advance.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Any offboard sound card that's worth buying is going to be high-end nowadays, because people who aren't interested in high-end audio can use the onboard sound card that comes with damn near every motherboard anymore.

3. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

4. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

Not sure about SPDIF (i'm not sure i even know what that is) but i just need a regular speaker jack that outputs in digital. Supposedly thats all my speakers can take. I'm not sure what i'm doing when it comes to audio... even tho i wish i did.

5. Doc Brown

Well some basics: No speaker is actually digital.
    If the speaker has a built in amplifier, (typically in the subwoofer) it can have a digital input that it uses to process the signal, but once it leaves the amp by way of the speaker wire, it can only be analog.

But advertisers know that they'll sell more product by using bogus terms,
    so they'll use the term digital as often as possible.

What make and model of speakers are you using?

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

7. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

They are Boston Acoustic... i'm at work and dont remember the exact model... i'll post it up tonight. Basically, i just have one jack that goes from the subwoofer to the soundcard, and from the sub it goes out to the two front speakers, and another line out to the two rears, as well as a control plug for external volumn, balance, fade, and sub control. Not sure if that is of any help whatsoever, but there it is, lol.

8. Doc Brown

Ok, the wire leading to the sub from the soundcard....

Does it come out of the small (1/8th inch) green jack on your soundcard?

Or does it come out of an rca sized plug?

If it comes out of the green jack, any sound card will work.

9. deusexaethera

I'd like me some digital speakers with voice coils that extend to exactly the position specified by the digital signal; that shit would sound clean.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

not rly. You're trying to extend digital signal to an analog physical process. There's no way to extend the precision of digital to make the cone extend to an exact position.

11. deusexaethera

What I'm talking about is putting the decoder in the speaker driver itself, thus completely eliminating the need to transmit an analog signal across any distance at all. (Unless you count the voice coil itself.) In my ideal speaker, there would also be a feedback system so the driver could check to make sure the voice coil is extending to exactly the right distance. Given that the range of human hearing extends to about 25000Hz in the most optimistic of circumstances, a device that could measure the extension of the voice coil at a rate of 1MHz could ensure an effectively perfect reproduction of sound.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

There are speakers that have plate amps on them that accept digital input. But the signal to the driver is still analog (amplified signal must be analog)

13. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

Awesome... green jack it is. I tried to get my onboard working last night, just to have some sound, even if its shitty sound, but it kept giving me "Sound Card Error"... no idea why... maybe i need to go dig around for my mobo driver CD and see if there's onboard sound drivers on there i need to install.

14. deusexaethera

Make sure the front-panel audio connector is attached properly, and if there isn't one, make sure the pass-thru jumpers are contacting the correct pins on the front-panel audio header.

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

not all boards use jumpers on the audio.

16. deusexaethera

Ah, what the hell; put jumpers on it anyway, just in case. What could possibly go wrong?

(kidding)

Check your manual and make sure the front-panel audio is hooked up or terminated correctly.

17. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

Yea... i dont remember setting jumpers when i built it... but that was so long ago and i havent fucked with sound at all its a strong possibility. Thanks.

18. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

Well, the speakers set i have is a Boston Acoustic Digital BA7500G.

This is why i mentioned needing a 'digital' soundcard.

I've gotten my onboard sound driver working, but it doesnt seem to be able to work correctly for the speakers. (onboard works fine for headphones, so i know the onboard itself is functioning).

19. Doc Brown

They already have that. It's farily common for subwoofers to use an accelerometer attached to the voice coil.
    That way, they're able to ensure that the voice coil stays in true sync to the signal.
    But it still isn't digital. True digital speakers are only theoretical at this point, since it would probably require some sort of electrical interface with the human ear.

20. Doc Brown

I'm not surprised to see that it's Boston Acoustics. That once proud company should be ashamed of itself by forcing the consumer into a shitty faux-digital solution like that. I've seen this before in this forum, and there's no simple solution to it, other than getting one of the recommended cards.

You could pull the woofer out of the sub cabinet and go hunting for the analog lines. If you found them, you could resolder a normal stereo jack to them and be on your way.

21. deusexaethera

REALLY. Where can I find these?

Man, I need to catch up on my home audio; it sounds like a few very important things have changed in the past few years.

22. Doc Brown

It would be pretty easy to find them with google, I would think.

If i'm not mistaken, one of the Air series of Dynaudio uses it.

Generally speaking, you're probably not going to find it on anything except the active subs. (and of course the dynaudio monitors)

Yeah and as I read back through my words, I probably said that a bit wrong.
    I'm pretty sure the accelerometer is attached to the cone, and not the voice coil.