A&P New site, C+C welcome

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by xconverge, Nov 26, 2008.

1. xconverge

xconverge OT Supporter

www.spkphotos.com

Used a template, modified a lot of it to do what I wanted to do. I want a simple site with some of my best shots and a contact email (will be changing to non gmail shortly). Some of the photos are filler photos and will be replaced soon, I was just using them to get the looping and such to work properly.

Some comments I have received so far:

don't use music
    css instead of flash

It is still a work in progress but I would love some harsh criticism from some of you :big grin:

2. SugarCoatedSour

SugarCoatedSour OT Supporter

Picture of the dog buried in gravel or whatever :bowrofl:

Pretty much the only negative things I was gonna say about it

3. xconverge

xconverge OT Supporter

No idea how to make a link, I have been trying for so long. By just typing in the url and using the link tool

4. johan

johan Active Member

no music, or at least better music.
    dissolve takes too long. and feels gimmicky.
    same w/ shutter sound.
    got tired of it after a few clicks.

5. xconverge

xconverge OT Supporter

what is better music? Maybe I should just go with no sound or music. Thanks though, I know its still rough

6. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

if you're going to do photography, my thought would be concentrate on ONE thing... people and cars aren't the same category. You might like to do one or the other, but not many people do both. Devin isn't a wedding photography and ( * )( * ) isn't a car photographer, but I'm sure both like to do pictures of anything they can take pics of. Be good at one thing and do the rest as hobby/fun/etc.

7. xconverge

xconverge OT Supporter

Thats a good point, its also kind of tacked on at the end. I removed the music. I will update it real quick. I think I can leave some sound for the changing of the pictures, but the sound there now is terrible and to high pitched

8. wrong1

wrong1 Member

9. xconverge

xconverge OT Supporter

Am I on the right track? I removed most of the annoying sounds, changed the location of some stuff based on the music being removed. I should just change the dissolve a bit?

10. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

also remember, if you take everyone's advice on what YOUR website should look like, you'll have a cluster fuck on your hand. If you like music, then play music. If you like dissolve, have dissolve. Just make sure you mix your style w/ the criticism... don't just do what people tell you to do. :big grin:

11. xconverge

xconverge OT Supporter

NO ONE liked music though :big grin: to emo/indie/bad haha. thanks though, its just the first time I have put time into flash since high school

12. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

i agree to that to an extent. If you are not a niche photographer like myself and make money with all different categories of photography than i would portray that,

but if you feel you have strengths in just one or two areas, i agree focus on those.

13. aCab

aCab New Member

Flashy template (no pun intended :rofl:), now to the important part - the content. Your text says portraits, couples, and engagements, but I see nothing of the sort in the pictures.

If you're going to try and sell your photography, at least have images that would make people interested in your work.

14. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

There are 2 photogs on here who actually get paid for their portrait/ wedding pictures. I hold their opinions higher than most others as they actually deal with customers and have a good feel for what they are after. They are mojito and (.)(.). They both have music on their sites. I am going to bet that most folks who told you not to have music were from guys. Yet guys are never the person who looks for and hires the photog, females do. That is your target.

I personally do not liek the disolves cause it appears too "techy" and I think clashes with a photography site

15. xconverge

xconverge OT Supporter

Gotta start somewhere :)

People not in the business are easily impressed, I agree about the music but it was to much for now. Thanks for your thoughts, I am going to work on making the transition simpler and shorter