GUN New SIG 556 v.pics

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by twofourtysx, Feb 8, 2006.

1. twofourtysx

twofourtysx New Member

Heres some newly released pictures of the 556

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SIGARMS press release:

New SIG 556 Rifle: The time Has Come
    SIGARMS® introduces U.S. made version or legendary Swiss rifle.

EXETER, NH – No other semi-automatic rifle has captured the imagination of the shooting public like the SG 550 series rifle. For years this legendary Swiss made rifle has been restricted to law enforcement and military sales where it has continuously built on its reputation for outstanding performance, accuracy and durability. Now, SIGARMS® has announced that the time has come for a U.S. made version and introduces the new SIG 556.

The SIG 556 features the same high-performance two position adjustable gas piston operating rod system engineered by SIG’s sister company Swiss Arms and marries it to a trigger housing that not only cuts the rifle’s weight by a pound but is designed to accept standard AR magazines.

Originally developed to work under the extreme situational pressures and environmental conditions of the Swiss Army on alpine duty, the new SIG 556 delivers when it counts regardless of ammunition type and variances in gas pressure or case material.

The SIG 556 features a 16” military grade cold hammer forged barrel with a twist rate of 1 in 9”. The barrel is locked to the steel receiver through a unique system that allows the user to easily change out the barrel.

The forearm housing the gas operating system is a vented non-slip polymer featuring the SIG TriRail design with three integrated Picatinny rails for mounting accessories. There is a forward mount for right or left side sling attachment. The flip up front combat sight is adjustable for windage and elevation.

The Picatinny rail equipped receiver is made of high strength carbon steel with a durable wear-resistant Nitron® X rifle finish. The trigger housing is made from a heat treated aircraft grade aluminum alloy with a hard-coat anodized finish designed to survive extreme conditions. The rifle comes equipped with a smooth two-stage trigger.

The SIG 556 also features an ambidextrous safety and is designed to accept standard AR magazines. A rugged 30-round polymer magazine is supplied with each rifle.

Spare battery compartments are provided in the ergonomically designed pistol grip as well as the rubber padded watertight adjustable butt stock. The butt stock also offers sling attachment points.

In addition to the standard model SIG 556 which will begin to ship in late summer of 2006, SIGARMS will also offer a SIG 556 L featuring a longer forearm but also equipped with the 16” barrel. The 556 L will be ideal for upgrading to the 20” barrel for more precision oriented shooting.

The third model planned to 2006 is the SIG 556 SWAT. The SWAT model will feature the same compact design of the standard SIG 556 with 16” barrel but will feature a flat top Picatinny railed receiver and a tactical quad rail.

These three rifles are the first of several new SIG 556 models that are currently in development at SIGARMS. The wait is over. The new U.S. made SIG 556 begins shipping in late summer – because the time has come.

SIG 556 SPECIFICATIONS & FEATURES

............................SIG 556 L.......SIG 556......SIG 556 SWAT
    Caliber: ---------------------- 5.56 mm ----------------------
    Overall Length: ........36.5”..........36.5”............36.5”
    Length w/ Stock Folded: 33”........33”..............33”
    Barrel Length: ...........16”............16”.................16”
    Sight Radius: ............21”...........17.75”.............17.75”
    Forearm: --------- Polymer SIG TriRail --------Quad Rail
    Rifling: ----------------------- 1 in 9” ------------------------
    Weight w/o Mag.:.......7.2 lbs........6.8 lbs........6.8 lbs
    Operating System:------- Gas Operated, Rotating Bolt ------
    Magazine Capacity: 30 Rnds........30 Rnds........30 Rnds
    MSRP ......................$1,299........$1,299........$1,799

2. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

meh, i'll pass

3. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Eh hate the m4 style stock on it hope someone makes orignal style stocks for it, AR mags will be kinda nice but I would of prefered the original design :hs:
    Cheaper then I expected but I was hoping for it to be identicle to the rest of the 55x series :hsd:

4. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

same. that thing's pretty damn ugly

5. Painkiller

Painkiller The Synarchy of Molten Bones

6. reman

reman New Member

eh......

7. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

I wonder who's hosting those pics :hsugh:

8. twofourtysx

twofourtysx New Member

Its the only pictures released of them so far so suck it up chode

9. Goat

:ugh:

10. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Someone on arfcom was saying on the sig the upper is what requires an FFL dunno if thats true, but if it is and its the same as the 55x's might be able to get get real 550 lower assembly for it, thats something I will have to look into.

I'm dissapointed I want a sig550 not a sig15 :wtc:

11. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

i don't see any reason why the upper instead of the lower will be the registered weapon. looks to me like it seperates similarly to an AR.

12. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I agree but thats just what they were saying over on the other forum :dunno: I'm really pissed I was ready to spend upto 2 grand for one of these, but now meh I think I'll wait for the FN SCAR.

13. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

and why the hell is that A2 flashhider upside down? they tryin to increase muzzle jump?

14. ozwald

ozwald OT Supporter

sig 550 > 556
    so ugly

15. islanderman7

islanderman7 New Member

indifferent

16. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Hard to look at the pictures with SIGFORUM.COM

written across them all.

I'll pass and just build this AR lower I have for now.

17. soccaian

soccaian New Member

i kinda like it

:hs:

i might be able to buy one for CHEAP, too

:wiggle:

gotta love being close with a guy who is tight with the sigarm VP

18. twofourtysx

twofourtysx New Member

See post #8. I dont see why you douches bitch. Your welcome for posting this shit. I dont see anyone else posting anything about the new 556

Last edited: Feb 8, 2006
  19. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

they could have done a better job with their watermarks, if you put one or two across the middle of the image It would be enough. :dunno:

20. twofourtysx

twofourtysx New Member

Yes THEY could have. But these are the only pictures out and I posted them for OT and people still bitch

21. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ok well I guess it is true on the 550's the upper is the serialized part and the lower isn't controlled, duno if it will be the case with the 556, if it is, if it is I dont know if the bolt will work with a 550 lower, but at the moment its the only way ill get one of these things. Hopfully Sig will realize the error they've made and release something closer to a true 550 if not a true 550 itself. Most people on the other forums I'm on are quite dissapointed with it too, I'de gladly pay $2000 for a true 550 and so would alot of other people, I will not pay $1300 for an AR with SIG like features, Hell I might even be willing to pay a bit more then $2000 for one, I'de trade/sell most of my AR stuff minus 1 lower and 2 uppers. I will not buy this monstrosity as it is, I hate m4 style stocks on AR's but theres not much choice due to the buffer tube, the sig is not limited by the buffer tube, so after paying $1300 im suppose to pay another $250 for a decent stock??

FUCK YOU SIG!!!

22. Goat

No one's blaming you, I'm sure the general consensus is that sigforum.com is fucking stupid and sucks at watermarks.

23. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

That post didn't change anything. It's still hard to read with SIGFORUM.COM across them.

24. soccaian

soccaian New Member

from what i could tell from the article, the 556 doesnt have a buffer tube, so changing the stock shouldnt be much of an issue

25. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

he says that it doesn't in what u quoted. he's just mad b/c u'd have to spend a lot extra to get a stock that more closely resembles a real one.